Photo

Fantasy road network improvements

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

What improvements would you make to the road network in Victoria if you could do anything? I'm interested to hear. This city has a messy road network in many ways so let's come up with ways to clean it up!

Here are a couple of my ideas :)

(All images from Google Maps)

Fernwood Rd. to Moss St.
These two streets form a good north-south route through the city by using a short section of Fort St. to connect between them. However, because Fort is one-way the south-bound route requires a detour around the playing field of Central Middle School. If a short 110 meter section of Fort were made to accomodate two-way traffic then travel from Fernwood Rd. to Moss St. would be greatly improved. Fort St. is wide enough to do this and I think this change could realistically be made.

Current south-bound detour route, and the improvement that could be made
victoria-fantasyroadimprovement-01.jpg? . . victoria-fantasyroadimprovement-03.jpg

Short section of Fort St. that could be made two-way
victoria-fantasyroadimprovement-02.jpg

Oak Bay Ave. and Beach Dr.
Oak Bay Avenue is one of the longest east-west streets in the city, but for some reason traffic is routed south to Newport Ave. and the right-of-way that would connect Oak Bay Ave. with Beach Dr. is largely unused. Wouldn't it be neat to push the Avenue right through to Beach Dr. and create a ceremonial square and fountain in the park at the end of it! Realistically I don't think this would ever be done though.

victoria-fantasyroadimprovement-04.jpg

Street View of current intersection - https://maps.google....2,79.74,,0,9.89

#2 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

Fernwood/Moss - I think that Fernwood and Moss would make a terrible North-South corridor given the narrowness and generally slow speeds possible. You would have to widen Fernwood quite a bit though the village and that would be too expensive IMO.  As well I think it might be too difficult for drivers to deal with a single block of two-way traffic on an otherwise one-way street.

Oak Bay Ave - Yes please!  This has never made sense to me.

• Bernard likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

I'd just love some of our continuous streets that have 3 names to just pick one and go for it.  There's so many cases of streets changing names for no reason other than historical stubbornness, often not even at borders, just randomly within the city of Victoria you'll get this.

• tedward likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

I'd just love some of our continuous streets that have 3 names to just pick one and go for it.  There's so many cases of streets changing names for no reason other than historical stubbornness, often not even at borders, just randomly within the city of Victoria you'll get this.

Tyee, Skinner, Craigflower anyone?  Craigflower ought to run right through to/past Esquimalt Rd. at Songhees.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Balmoral/Fisgard. Caledonia/Chatham North Park/Herald

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Balmoral/Fisgard. Caledonia/Chatham North Park/Herald

Lochside in 11 parts.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

What about straightening Saanich/Boleskine at Douglas? I guess it might mean moving the overpass slightly to the north of where it is now.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 13 January 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#8 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

...I think it might be too difficult for drivers to deal with a single block of two-way traffic on an otherwise one-way street.

That's not giving drivers much credit! With proper curbs and lane markings two-way traffic could easily be managed. Plus, Fort St. becomes a full two-way street half a block from this area.

I'd just love some of our continuous streets that have 3 names to just pick one and go for it.

Yeah, how about Harriet, Boleskine, Saanich, and Tattersal. We need a road name reformation!

victoria-fantasyroadimprovement-05.jpg

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Do not forget Tattersall turns the corner at the very end and becomes James Heights

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Wharf -> Store

Admirals -> McKenzie

Tyee -> Skinner -> Craigflower -> Old Island Highway.

Why not rename some of these ever changing streets into boulevards?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

Blanshard one way out of town, Douglas one way into town, huge intersection and exchange just north of Uptown allowing flyover from one to the other.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 13 January 2014 - 06:18 PM.

• Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Blanshard one way out of town, Douglas one way into town, huge intersection and exchange just north of Uptown allowing flyover from one to the other.

Not bad.  How but we combine this with a counterflow lane system coming in/out on TCH from Uptown to Old Island interchange, 3 lanes in the morning etc.  

• sdwright.vic likes this

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

This is making far too much sense, gentlemen, far too much sense.

• sebberry and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Once you're done joining up contiguous streets can we do the opposite and rename streets that are completely separated? Belmont is one that zigs and zags. Cumberland is intersected by McKenzie and the north side is completely different and inaccessible from the south. Torquay is another one on that drives me crazy. It's separated by the Lambrick school and the Gordon Head rec centre but if you enter Torquay off Shelbourne there is no possible way to access the north part of it.

This was actually considered briefly, if only a vague conception, back in 1976. A tunnel underneath Town and Country/Uptown would have linked Blanshard and the TC Highway.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#15 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Raymond St is another one that's in multiple pieces.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Once you're done joining up contiguous streets can we do the opposite and rename streets that are completely separated? Belmont is one that zigs and zags. Cumberland is intersected by McKenzie and the north side is completely different and inaccessible from the south. Torquay is another one on that drives me crazy. It's separated by the Lambrick school and the Gordon Head rec centre but if you enter Torquay off Shelbourne there is no possible way to access the north part of it.

And as I said, Lochside.  It actually has 8 parts.  Spanning 3 or 4 municipalities.  Start HERE and just follow the trail north to see bits of actual street that will never ever be re-united.  It's insane.

• Nparker likes this

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Raymond St is another one that's in multiple pieces.

At least some of it is noted as north and south.

• kxl likes this

#18 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

I bet most people in Victoria have no idea that Douglas street goes north almost to the Quadra overpass on 17 it parallels 17 for a good distance

I remember driving on Douglas when it used to cross the bridge at Ravine and carry on northwards this was before Seymour and Blanshard were extended or widened by Save on Food strip mall behind town and country

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Yup. I used to cycle up "little Douglas" when we had an office in Saanich. It's actually quite neat to find yourself in a neighbourhood that was dissected by a highway and had one if its streets razed at one point in its past.

Know it all.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

I bet most people in Victoria have no idea that Douglas street goes north almost to the Quadra overpass on 17 it parallels 17 for a good distance

I remember driving on Douglas when it used to cross the bridge at Ravine and carry on northwards this was before Seymour and Blanshard were extended or widened by Save on Food strip mall behind town and country

Do we all remember the days before the "McKenzie extension"?   I do, but can't remember exactly how we got around it to get from McKenzie onto the TCH.  EDIT:  Oh ya, now I do, left on Glanford, up to Carey/Tillicum, then down Tillicum to the highway.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users