Photo

Skyline topics

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:10 PM

Here is a comparison from Victoria's skyline to Vancouver's skyline...Thank God we don't look like Vancouver!!! :roll:

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

Lining up Victoria's top five ugliest buildings was a stroke of compositional genius.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:45 PM

if those are our 5 ugliest then we've got it pretty good!

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:58 PM

hahahahahahaha

#5 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:45 AM

I discovered that the vantage point from which Victoria's skyline looks most interesting is just up the hill from the Sikh temple, heading towards Summit Park.

You should check it out while the foliage is thin.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:15 AM

What skyline?

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:46 AM

I quite like it from Tyee Road in Vic West at night. When the clouds are low over the city and the lights reflect off the clouds it takes on a great appearance. The north downtown developments will make a significant difference! :tup:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:03 AM

My favourite view is still driving into town along Esquimalt Road. Just when you come over that bump by The Edge and the new Bayview Towers you see the Sussex and CIBC building.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:53 AM

I do like coming down Fairfield Rd from the east towards D/T when the new buildings just come into view. It'll be even better when all the others under construction are finished.

#10 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:28 PM

My favorite view of Victoria is when you crest the hill next to Beaver lake coming into town on the Pat Bay Hwy. On a clear day you can see downtown, the water and the mountains.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

^Yeah the mountains looks so impossibly big there!

#12 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

Victoria has a skyline?

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

G-man, if you like the view when traveling east on Esquimalt, you'll really like the view when traveling south on Wilson as you pass West Side Village. The view at night is even better and it sets you up for my personal fave which I mentioned above :D

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

My favorite view of Victoria is when you crest the hill next to Beaver lake coming into town on the Pat Bay Hwy. On a clear day you can see downtown, the water and the mountains.

Ditto that.

#15 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:31 PM

Dec 20, 2006

On a clear morning I enjoy the view down Government St. from Yates.. View and Gov..

Framed by the "tall buildings" alongside Government.. all the way past the "Leg" to the white capped Olympics...

Go to get the angle right so that the street trees don't intrude..

December 9, 006

Also.. It's impressive to be paddling on the north side of the Middle Harbour by Pelly Island and looking across all that water to fresh snowcapped mountains..

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:17 PM

Ditto that.

Ditto me too. That view rocks, and it just comes up on you all of a sudden.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:03 PM

A part of me wishes we had some decent buildings sticking up from downtown in that view :)

Bayview will be quite visible from there, though.

Know it all.

#18 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:56 AM

Scaper, your comparison is hardly fair. The picture of Vancouver was taken on a perfectly clear, calm night from an excellent angle while yours (probably taken by you!) was taken from a bad angle on a cloudy day. Everyone knows that Victoria has a way better skyline than Vancouver. :lol:

Ditto that.

Ditto me too. That view rocks, and it just comes up on you all of a sudden.

While it's a view i've enjoyed many times for all the lights, you can't actually see downtown from there. You can see parts of James Bay and Vic West but not downtown since it's actually a bit east of there, blocked by Christmas Hill.

I'd say Esqumalt and Vic West are probably the best places to view the skyline from with Cairn Park in Esquimalt probably the best of all. Another decent glimpse is by Wal-Mart just as you come off the Pat Bay highway.

So many of these views would be so much more impressive if we got with the program like every other city in North America our size and had at least a couple of 20 story office buildings. God knows there's demand for it.
In chains by Keynes

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:27 PM

The lay of the land plays a big part in it. As we've seen, there are some very good skyline views to be had from some of the taller buildings, but views from natural points tend to be few and far between. Mt. Tolmie is actually pretty good, even if it does show off one of the city's uglier sides (the ugliest being Scaper's view from north Douglas).

Victoria actually has quite a few highrise buildings, even if the tallest ones aren't particularly tall. The best views are the ones that compress bunches of buildings together.

#20 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

So what should a city's skyline be like?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users