Photo

Greater Victoria public schools thread

• Please log in to reply
881 replies to this topic

#241 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 03:09 PM

Just search "giant fake boobs" and you'll do fine....

lot more real looking than I thought
  • Matt R. likes this

#242 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:01 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.03.13-14_00_35.png

#243 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:05 AM

Establish a committee to establish a plan put forward by the previously established committee.

Edited by Matt R., 13 March 2023 - 10:05 AM.

#244 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:09 AM

Maybe in art class students can make an ACAB montage.

• Nparker likes this

#245 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 10:30 AM

One in five pupils in England were persistently absent in past school year

https://www.theguard...ast-school-year

:whyme:

#246 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:29 PM

After concerns were raised at the high and persistent levels of absence since the pandemic and school-related closures, the DfE has started a number of initiatives, including hiring dedicated attendance advisers, creating “attendance hubs” to share best practice, and pilot programmes such as one in Middlesbrough, aiming to tackle underlying causes including bullying or mental health issues by giving support to persistently and severely absent pupils.

However, more recent data from the current academic year suggested illness and unauthorised absences remained a problem for many schools. Headteachers have said a “cultural shift” meant parents were more likely to allow children to stay at home.

Translation: we spent billions of dollars trying to convince people they were risking life and limb merely by stepping outside... and some people actually believed it.

At this point I think I have more sympathy for those who remain consistent in their irrational terror than I do for those who flip-flop hourly depending on whatever the TV is telling them. The latter are like waves being tossed in the sea.

Gotta love that Orwellian terminology re: "unauthorized absences". Parental authority seems bizarre and absurd to statists because it's an authority that has natural and inherent legitimacy. No gun barrel required.

#247 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:46 PM

...we spent billions of dollars trying to convince people they were risking life and limb merely by stepping outside... and some people actually believed it....

I'll never understand how anyone can function without a basic cynicism towards everything told to them by those in power.

• Matt R. likes this

#248 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 12:13 PM

Ask an Expert: Dyslexia awareness
“..massive change to how those with learning disabilities can access help has taken place, despite literacy rates in the province drop…”: https://globalnews.c...-awareness/amp/

Web forums might be an alternative effective treatment? The side effects though

#249 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:54 AM

B.C. teacher suspended for pushing student from classroom

April 10, 2023 

A Vancouver Island schoolteacher lost his teaching certificate for one day and was directed to complete a course on creating a positive learning environment after he pushed a Grade 7 student out of his classroom.

Blair Howard Murray Hughes was teaching a woodshop class in the Sooke School District on Dec. 14, 2020.

"While Hughes had a rule requiring students in the woodshop class to remain inside until the class bell had rung and the class was dismissed, some students began making their way outside," according to a recently published consent resolution agreement from the B.C. Commissioner for Teacher Regulation.

Hughes and the student had "an increasingly heated discussion about when students could leave the woodshop," according to the agreement.

When the student argued with Hughes, he responded, "Stop being disrespectful. I'm not your mom and dad," the agreement said.

The teacher put his hand on the student's shoulder to remove him from the classroom. The student raised his arm and Hughes held onto his wrist in an effort to direct him into the hallway and to the principal's office.

The student told Hughes to stop touching him. Hughes then pushed the student out the door.

The teacher was issued a letter of discipline from the school district, which also suspended him without pay for two days. He served the suspension on Oct. 12 and Oct. 13.

Under the resolution signed on March 20, Hughes agreed to a one-day suspension of his teaching certificate to be served on April 5.

He was also directed to complete a course on creating a positive learning environment through the Justice Institute of British Columbia by March 31 of next year.

More: https://vancouverisl...sroom-1.6349230

#250 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 03:04 AM

A community group is backing a petition to B.C. Supreme Court this week to quash a land exchange along the western boundary of Victoria High School.

The goal of the court case is to allow a full-scale revitalization of the school’s Memorial Stadium to go ahead, something the Friends of Vic High say was sidelined when the Greater Victoria School District agreed to the land swap to allow an affordable-housing project to proceed.

https://www.timescol...nd-swap-6852865

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 April 2023 - 03:05 AM.

#251 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 07:17 AM

This is the project they’re referring to: https://victoria.cit...tals/caledonia/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#252 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:18 PM

These people lost their pitch to the public when it was proposed. Somehow I have been aware of the current plan for years. I see little chance they will succeed. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#253 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:34 PM

After reading G-Man's post I grabbed my camera, hopped on a bus, and ran over to Vic High to snap a current pic. Sorry for taking so long. It's not easy being VV's official unofficial temporary replacement for VV's official unofficial photographer.

Vic_High-new_turf-no_running_track-April_2023.jpg

#254 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:37 PM

I gotta say, a proper track would have been great here and it also seems like there should be one there. Where's the next nearest one?

Was the old gym at Vic High the only gym in Victoria with one of those old vintage running tracks suspended above the basketball court?

#255 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 27 April 2023 - 02:32 PM

I gotta say, a proper track would have been great here and it also seems like there should be one there. Where's the next nearest one?

Oak Bay High 

• aastra likes this

#256 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 02:57 PM

You know, an even better question might be how many proper 400m tracks are there, period?

An old post on Reddit says:

Oak Bay High School (rubber)

University of Victoria (rubber, various hours)

Claremont Secondary School in Saanich (asphalt)

Esquimalt High (asphalt)

Vic High (dirt track last time I saw it)

...but I guess Parkland in Sidney also has a track now (if it didn't before, no idea). And Camosun Interurban now has a track.

It seems like a missed opportunity to not put a proper surfaced track at Vic High.

#257 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:47 PM

There’s a new track at Royal Bay Secondary, too.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#258 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:53 PM

Is that the only one in the west comms?

(This discussion has become circuitous but at least nobody can accuse us of getting off track.)

• martini and Victoria Watcher like this

#259 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:54 PM

There’s also the old track at the speedway.

Know it all.

#260 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 07:26 PM

Track at Belmont I think.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users