Hollywood news and related issues

• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

#261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

Oh yeah, Kendrick "I sing about *****es" Lamar. He is definitely more deserving of an award than Bruno "I just wanna have some fun" Mars.

• VicHockeyFan and Nostalgic Victoria like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#262 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

Oh yeah, Kendrick "I sing about *****es" Lamar. He is definitely more deserving of an award than Bruno "I just wanna have some fun" Mars.

That's really unfair to Kendrick Lamar. His most popular song extols the virtue of natural beauty over Photoshopped fakeness. Which sends a powerful message of positive empowerment to all *****es and hoes.

• VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this

#263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

Oh yeah, there's some real empowerment in his music, for sure:

I'm ****in' this industry hard

I'm bagging this money, tea-bagging your honey, you thought I was fresh out the yard

...***** don't kill my vibe, ***** don't kill my vibe, ***** don't kill my vibe, ***** don't kill my vibe

• Matt R. and Nostalgic Victoria like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#264 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

Come on Mike, don't kill my vibe.

• Rob Randall and lanforod like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#265 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

Don't start making me copy and paste Jay Z's lyrics...

• VicHockeyFan and todd like this

Know it all.

#266 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

The Grammys aren't supposed to be a popularity contest, so record sales are ultimately not relevant to being honored.

Artistic credibility and social impact are all that really counts when it comes to honoring musicians and the music they create.

The Grammys have long forgotten what music is actually all about though, which makes the Grammys irrelevant.

Edited by Cassidy, 30 January 2018 - 11:38 AM.

• Freedom57 likes this

#267 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

Oh yeah, there's some real empowerment in his music, for sure:

I'm ****in' this industry hard

I'm bagging this money, tea-bagging your honey, you thought I was fresh out the yard

...***** don't kill my vibe, ***** don't kill my vibe, ***** don't kill my vibe, ***** don't kill my vibe

Yep, just one of the reasons why I can't stomach that noise they call ©rap music (other than that it glorifies violence, gang warfare and drug use, it demeans and disrespects women and they can't even be bothered to write their own music, but instead rip off the music tracks of other performers' songs [what they call "sampling"] - not to mention that the way some rappers misspell the titles of so many of their songs and albums makes them look illiterate).

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:04 AM

Don’t paint an entire genre with one brush. The mainstream rap industry is all about nonsense, but away from the promoted a-list junk rap music has firmly established itself with messaging and poetry that reflects so much more than crime, money and gang banging. But of course you wouldn’t know it if all you’re exposed to is Jay Z and his ilk of Hollywood studio gangsters.

Know it all.

#269 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:16 AM

I’m still digging Eminem.
  • Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#270 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

Hedley next to be taken down. Anonymous accuser using anonymous sources.

http://exclaim.ca/mu...face_on_twitter

#271 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

Come on... it's Hedley. Their pre 2016 videos are one big inappropriate sex act. Nobody noticed until now?

Watch their video for “Anything”. Choose the explicit version.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 February 2018 - 07:17 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#272 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

Come on... it's Hedley. Their pre 2016 videos are one big inappropriate sex act. Nobody noticed until now?

Watch their video for “Anything”. Choose the explicit version.

It is a leap from producing explicit videos to sexually assaulting 14 yr old girls. 

#273 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

It is a leap from producing explicit videos to sexually assaulting 14 yr old girls. 

One anonymous 14-year-old says she was asked to go for drinks with the band.  She turned them down, was with her mom.  That's assault?

#274 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:20 PM

One anonymous 14-year-old says she was asked to go for drinks with the band.  She turned them down, was with her mom.  That's assault?

By today's standards it is.

Movement to remove Hedley from Junos and stripping them of nominations #outHedley2k18

https://globalnews.c...ual-misconduct/

#275 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Edmonton radio station HOT 107 announced it would stop broadcasting the band's music until the allegations could be verified.

"HOT 107 takes these issues very seriously and is ceasing all music from the playlist until further notice," the station said in tweet.

When asked whether Bell Media’s radio stations would follow suit, spokesperson Matthew Garrow said, “In response to feedback from our listeners, we've adjusted our playlists accordingly and continue to closely monitor the situation."

Bell Media also owns CTV News.

A representative from Universal Music Canada, the band's label, said it was not commenting on the allegations at this time.

Hedley is still scheduled to perform at Canalta Centre in Medicine Hat, Alta., on Wednesday, according to the venue.

https://bc.ctvnews.c...tions-1.3802651

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 February 2018 - 09:08 PM.

#276 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

It's actually a bit interesting to see who is covering the Hedley news and who isn't.  CTV and Global have covered it.  

No newspapers, no CBC coverage.

CTV and Global have only covered it from the perspective of the Juno boss statement.

screenshot-news.google.com-2018.02.13-21-18-46.png

The band is on their biggest ever Canadian tour right now (Medicine Hat tomorrow, Moose Jaw and Brandon this week too, tour ends March 23rd), and I'm guessing there is lots of ad money still to be spent.

CBC is set to broadcast the Junos on March 25 in Vancouver, where Hedley is scheduled to perform (also nominated for 3? or 4? awards), 2 days after their tour ends.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 February 2018 - 09:25 PM.

#277 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

You have an anonymous Twitter user reporting complaints from other anonymous users, many of which are clearly fabricated.

I would like to think that any credible media organization would hold off reporting until they had even the most minimal of evidence to support the allegations, but all they need to do to satisfy legal is point to Teitter and they are good to go.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#278 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

Hedley was formed in 2003.  Until 2008, they could very well sleep with 14-year-olds and it would be legal (that's the year the Canadian age of consent was increased to 16).  Not that a single 14-year-old has come forward to say that's the case.  So far, just one anonymous 14-year-old says she was invited for drinks, and declined.

Lead singer Jacob Hoggard is 33.  That puts him at 18 in 2003. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 February 2018 - 09:45 PM.

#279 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

Read the Twitter feed.

#280 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

I would like to think that any credible media organization would hold off reporting until they had even the most minimal of evidence to support the allegations, but all they need to do to satisfy legal is point to Teitter and they are good to go.

Exactly, you all saw that first-hand when I exposed the Lisa Helps Air BnB story.  Not a single media outlet was prepared to look into the actual matter, but they were keen to report on the back and forth I had online with the Mayor.  Of course, since that all happened, Victoria bylaw officials shut down her operation.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users