Hollywood news and related issues

• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

#301 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:18 PM

Here's the thing. This is a war. The biggest thing since police batons at the lunch counter a half century ago. This war must be fought. There will be collateral damage; it's unavoidable.

It appears the accusations against Patrick Brown are falling apart. This is terrible. He is ruined, and the worst thing he did (apparently) is being a party-hearty horndog a decade ago, no underage girls involved.

The accusations against Garrison Keillor seem suspicious as well. Am I missing any others?

What is the war?
The way I see it is that anyone who is sexually abusing or assaulting a minor should be harshly punished. If it was my kids I would stop at nothing to make them suffer. BUT this is a major social regression here. This is inquisition and not necessarily justice. A simple accusation is enough to destroy someone even if found false afterwards. The premise of innocent until proven guilty is sound. It appears to dead. Welcome to the age of weaponized social media. Pray you are not a victim....
  • Cassidy likes this

#302 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:49 AM

It appears the accusations against Patrick Brown are falling apart. This is terrible. He is ruined, and the worst thing he did (apparently) is being a party-hearty horndog a decade ago, no underage girls involved.

Worse than terrible. One woman has changed her story and both have had their own witnesses state that the stories are not true. CTV claimed that they pursued the stories based on "rumours" about Brown. Rumours about fake events? It is not much of a leap to now believe that someone orchestrated the stories to thwart a PC win in Ontario.

In fairness, many women came forward to defend Brown's right to a fair "trial". They were shouted down by the radicals in #metoo who were trying to take over the movement for their own gain (what always happens).

Bottom line is that 6 months ago women didn't come forward with their stories because they felt they would not be believed. Thanks to the activists, women will now not only feel that they won't be believed, they will worry that people will think that they have ulterior motives.

Edited by spanky123, 15 February 2018 - 07:51 AM.

#303 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

What is the war?
The way I see it is that anyone who is sexually abusing or assaulting a minor should be harshly punished. If it was my kids I would stop at nothing to make them suffer. BUT this is a major social regression here. This is inquisition and not necessarily justice. A simple accusation is enough to destroy someone even if found false afterwards. The premise of innocent until proven guilty is sound. It appears to dead. Welcome to the age of weaponized social media. Pray you are not a victim....

Years after it was proven beyond any doubt (ie the woman were not even in the same city as him) that John Furlong did not assault two women, he still had an event at UBC cancelled on him due to the claims.

• Cassidy likes this

#304 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

Brown suing CTV News. http://torontosun.co...conduct-article

More witnesses coming forward to say that the alleged incidents never happened.

• Sparky likes this

#305 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

Edmonton radio station HOT 107 announced it would stop broadcasting the band's music until the allegations could be verified.

Why don't they stop broadcasting the allegations until they can be verified instead?

• spanky123 likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#306 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:51 PM

As usual, I'll be hosting a little party next Sunday at the Yates Taphouse for the Oscars.

MORE:   https://www.facebook...49699605046928/

The Lower Island Film Commission decided to pass this year on their usual $100 or $125/person event and since Pags is closed, they will not have one.  This might be the only one.

I think I have 30 IMAX and Capitol 6 passes to be won on the night.

• tedward likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#307 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:03 AM

So now "failing to be responsive to non-verbal cues" and/or "standing too close to someone" is sexual harrassment.

“Weir failed to read non-verbal cues in social situations and his behaviour resulted in significant negative impacts on the complainants,” the statement said.

https://www.theglobe...rom-ndp-caucus/

Edited by spanky123, 03 May 2018 - 08:05 AM.

#308 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

Yeah, and this: 

“The investigator made a general finding of ‘sexual harassment’ that Weir had probably sat or stood too close to people at social events and engaged them in conversation more than they wished to speak with him,” it said.

I'm sure most of us have had conversations with people at social events that we didn't want to have and continued to have simply because we didn't want to be rude. As for personal space, that's subjective.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#309 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, and this: 

I'm sure most of us have had conversations with people at social events that we didn't want to have and continued to have simply because we didn't want to be rude. As for personal space, that's subjective.

Well at least it is nice to be able to keep a running list of all the things that can result in you losing your job with no recourse.

#310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

Weir was allegedly let go because he outed an accuser, and according to the party leader that meant he was not a team player.

You can’t make this stuff up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

The Victoria Event Centre has hired a "consent captain" who will monitor events in order to prevent sexual harassment.

Sexual health educator Tanille Geib will counsel people who are feeling harassed and speak with those who are making others uncomfortable.

More: https://www.msn.com/...ggNb9&ocid=iehp

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#312 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:02 AM

In the bar business we call those “bouncers”.
  • Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and 2 others like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#313 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

In the bar business we call those “bouncers”.

That's not quite what this person will be...

...We recognize that there are a lot of situations where a traditional bouncer may not be equipped to prevent assault or harassment. We’re excited to bring in this new program to supplement our existing security personnel, and to create a space where everyone in our building can feel safer...A designated consent staff person counsels patrons being harassed or feeling uncomfortable, uses constructive dialogue to understand the issues, and works to identify problematic behaviour that may lead to sexual assault...

https://www.vicnews....consentmatters/

#314 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

Either Trump is a genius that saw what no-one else saw or...it's takes one to know one?

Capture.JPG

#315 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

Look, Trump is what he is.

#316 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

...Trump is what he is.

There's an anagram for what he is, somewhere in your statement.

#317 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

Either Trump is a genius that saw what no-one else saw or...it's takes one to know one?

Trump knows a lot. I have 9 words to describe what is coming: Jeff Sessions, sealed indictments, human trafficking, draining the swamp.

Edited by RFS, 08 May 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#318 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

I am sure that none of the activities the AG was alleged to have done were a secret. That only difference between cases is if someone is willing to go public with what they have experienced or know. 

Edited by spanky123, 08 May 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

Oh my...

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 10.37.08 AM.png

Know it all.

#320 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:43 AM

Perhaps he should have just said "grab em by the *****" that seems to appeal to a segment of the voters.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users