Hollywood news and related issues

• Please log in to reply
709 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

Social media has given everyone a platform and we're seeing a lot of these accusations appear there. And once they’re up they’re up with no opportunity for officials to investigate the claims prior to damaging statements being made. It’s kinda crazy and you can’t help but feel bad for those folks who will be forever tarnished over false accusations or half truths.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

Let's take the Dustin Hoffman incident as an example. His career is at risk now because he allegedly grabbed someone's butt 35 years ago and made a sexist joke.

When I was working in a finance company 35+ years ago everyone smoke and drank at their desks, off-colour jokes were commonplace and I had my butt pinched more than a dozen times by men and women alike. Anyone in that office could be called out today and ruined based on what everyone did at the time and was accepted by society as the norm. The reason why nobody was charged for sexual assault was because patting or pinching a rear end wasn't considered sexual assault and making a bad joke wasn't considered sexual harassment. Nobody 'got away' with anything.

#83 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

A few Mae West quotes.

• When I'm good, I'm very good. When I'm bad, I'm better.
  • I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
  • Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?
  • I've been in more laps than a napkin.
  • To a young actor: How tall are you without your horse? Six foot, seven inches. Never mind the six feet. Let's talk about the seven inches!

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mae_West

• johnk likes this

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

I see that although CBC broke the story about the Ballet Victoria guy early on Monday, only me and CHEK published stories that day. 

Tuesday, nobody did. 

Then Ballet Victoria says they have cut ties, and presto, TC and Black Press have stories about the cut.  But were they ever going to publish while he remained on the payroll?  Probably not, if might affect their ad sales with Ballet Vic.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 November 2017 - 05:45 PM.

• spanky123 and David Bratzer like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, this is getting pretty ridiculous now. All these metoo stories are just diluting the pot. Nobody cares what happened to you 30 years ago. If it wasn't important enough to report it when it happened it is not important enough now. Yeah yeah, I know, times have changed and people were afraid to come forward years ago. So get over it and move on. Jeezus.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#86 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

I see that although CBC broke the story about the Ballet Victoria guy early on Monday, only me and CHEK published stories that day. 

Tuesday, nobody did. 

Then Ballet Victoria says they have cut ties, and presto, TC and Black Press have stories about the cut.  But were they ever going to publish while he remained on the payroll?  Probably not, if might affect their ad sales with Ballet Vic.

The crazy thing about this story is the original statement by Ballet Victoria that it wasn't really a problem for them because they didn't have any children or teens in their organization.

Except:

http://www.timescolo...-tour-1.5209569

Obviously a complete misrepresentation.

And apparently this guy has been with them for years, with them knowing full well the entire time that his presence around children and pre-teens was an obvious risk.

Even if one were to disagree that it was an "obvious" risk ... it's most definitely NOT a risk you take around children.

• VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

#87 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

^ I don't know the guy from Adam but apparently the complaints against him were investigated by police and no charges were laid. Does that mean he didn't commit a crime, of course not, but it is how we as a society have decided to govern ourselves. 

So now you believe that he should be fired from his job regardless? What should happen tomorrow if some co-worker or ex makes a complaint against you? Should you be immediately fired and barred from working again without any investigation? If a police investigation and court of law are no longer the standard for considering someone guilty what is?

I see in the G&M this morning the crown is considering appealing a court case that was thrown out because the judge did not accept that married couples were required to seek consent each time intercourse was performed. That would make things interesting I guess. Someone could write an app that tracked both parties each time and logged consent for recordingkeeping and liability purposes!

Edited by spanky123, 02 November 2017 - 07:17 AM.

• LJ likes this

#88 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

^ who asks for permission every time? I think for most, permission is implied as long as no one says 'no'.

To be clear, I'm talking specifically about intercourse in marriage or a relationship. Not pinching someone's privates.

Edited by lanforod, 02 November 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

^ I don't know the guy from Adam but apparently the complaints against him were investigated by police and no charges were laid. Does that mean he didn't commit a crime, of course not, but it is how we as a society have decided to govern ourselves.

So now you believe that he should be fired from his job regardless? What should happen tomorrow if some co-worker or ex makes a complaint against you? Should you be immediately fired and barred from working again without any investigation? If a police investigation and court of law are no longer the standard for considering someone guilty what is?

I see in the G&M this morning the crown is considering appealing a court case that was thrown out because the judge did not accept that married couples were required to seek consent each time intercourse was performed. That would make things interesting I guess. Someone could write an app that tracked both parties each time and logged consent for recordingkeeping and liability purposes!

I think in some high profile jobs you have a higher standard.

The guy is the subject of what could be a $100 million lawsuit.

Time for him to seek a new line of work.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:30 AM

Here’s the Winnipeg allegations and there appears to be some substance...

http://www.cbc.ca/be...ation-1.3874099

And while taking naked photographs of 16 year olds likely is not criminal, it is a bit creepy, no?

#91 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

I don't think the guy was "fired from his job", the article stated quite clearly that he was a volunteer, not an employee.

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

But he also did contractual work for Ballet Victoria.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

I don't think the guy was "fired from his job", the article stated quite clearly that he was a volunteer, not an employee.

In Victoria he volunteered, but also did paid contract work.

#94 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

Being a volunteer doesn't exonerate you from immoral behavior.

• johnk likes this

#95 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Not having your contract renewed is just not having your contract renewed - I wouldn't call it "getting fired".

I guess the lesson might be that a guys alleged questionable behavior around young girls will very definitely affect that guys future volunteering opportunities.

Indeed, most organizations across Canada won't let volunteers work anywhere near kids without a criminal record check, and a perfectly clean slate in terms of past behavior around underage kids.

#96 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

Back in the day the old-time Hollywood moguls ( Goldwyn, Zanuck,Cohn et al) ran their studios like private harems. A seemingly endless supply of beautiful young women getting off the bus every day, all seeking movie careers. Moguls could make a young woman rich and famous beyond dreams, or imprison them in bad contracts, or ruin them if they didn't play the game.
It was all about power, then and now.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#97 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

Back in the day the old-time Hollywood moguls ( Goldwyn, Zanuck,Cohn et al) ran their studios like private harems. A seemingly endless supply of beautiful young women getting off the bus every day, all seeking movie careers. Moguls could make a young woman rich and famous beyond dreams, or imprison them in bad contracts, or ruin them if they didn't play the game.
It was all about power, then and now.

Back then it was the "casting couch" and the term originated in the motion picture industry.

The list;  https://en.wikipedia...i/Casting_couch

#98 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

Here’s the Winnipeg allegations and there appears to be some substance...

http://www.cbc.ca/be...ation-1.3874099

And while taking naked photographs of 16 year olds likely is not criminal, it is a bit creepy, no?

So taking someone’s photo with their consent is now sexual assault as well?!

I think the dude is creepy but then again I also think David Foster is creepy for dating someone 35 years his junior!

27 years ago the age of consent in Canada was 14. The woman was 16 and admits to agreeing to have the photos shot. That is likely why the police closed the case.

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:08 PM

It indeed is why the police closed the case.

But I dunno it still seems creepy.

#100 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

It indeed is why the police closed the case.

But I dunno it still seems creepy.

Halloween is over and creepy with it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users