Photo

Hollywood news and related issues

• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

#101 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

Let's take the Dustin Hoffman incident as an example. His career is at risk now because he allegedly grabbed someone's butt 35 years ago and made a sexist joke.

When I was working in a finance company 35+ years ago everyone smoke and drank at their desks, off-colour jokes were commonplace and I had my butt pinched more than a dozen times by men and women alike. Anyone in that office could be called out today and ruined based on what everyone did at the time and was accepted by society as the norm. The reason why nobody was charged for sexual assault was because patting or pinching a rear end wasn't considered sexual assault and making a bad joke wasn't considered sexual harassment. Nobody 'got away' with anything.

You are terribly misinformed on this matter. It is far more nuanced than you can grasp.

http://www.hollywood...-column-1053466
  • weirdie likes this

#102 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

This is the era of J'accuse!

Yes there are jerks like Weinstein and now Spacey coming out the woodwork, but its also going to b ethe era of petty revenge for imagined slights from decades earlier.

Thats why you are seeing folks like Alec Baldwin trying to get out in front of it, classic crisis response reactions, 'get it out there on your terms' before someone else says something.

Heck I'm a 53 year old male, I remember the antics we got up to clubbing in our early 20's and even though we werent doing what Weinstein did, we were pulling stunts that in hindsight were pretty ignorant. Thank god for no cell phones and FaceBook!!!

• VicHockeyFan, LJ, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#103 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

This is the era of J'accuse!

Yes there are jerks like Weinstein and now Spacey coming out the woodwork, but its also going to b ethe era of petty revenge for imagined slights from decades earlier.

Thats why you are seeing folks like Alec Baldwin trying to get out in front of it, classic crisis response reactions, 'get it out there on your terms' before someone else says something.

Heck I'm a 53 year old male, I remember the antics we got up to clubbing in our early 20's and even though we werent doing what Weinstein did, we were pulling stunts that in hindsight were pretty ignorant. Thank god for no cell phones and FaceBook!!!

Sure, and a lot of stuff went on that was consensual at the time, but a person could now decide to change their mind as to how it happened.

• rjag likes this

#104 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

Sure, and a lot of stuff went on that was consensual at the time, but a person could now decide to change their mind as to how it happened.

exactly, over time what was viewed as harmless fun could be remembered as something different now. Its funny what the mind can do with memories over the years...not to belittle te claims being made against weinstein cosby etc but from personal experiences, a little harmless drinking, cuddling and tickling 35 plus years ago can be rewired in someones brain to assault or worse 

#105 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

exactly, over time what was viewed as harmless fun could be remembered as something different now. Its funny what the mind can do with memories over the years...not to belittle te claims being made against weinstein cosby etc but from personal experiences, a little harmless drinking, cuddling and tickling 35 plus years ago can be rewired in someones brain to assault or worse 

Folks need to think about this next time they give a friend a hug, which includes your dog that might decide to bite you in the bum if you do it again. 

• rjag likes this

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Alec Baldwin has now landed himself in hot water. He’s even stated he’ll be taking a break from Twitter after tweeting to rape victim Asia Argento (and Anthony Bourdain, her husband) “You should stick to eating worms and keeping your mouth shut” when Baldwin was heavily criticized by Argento (and others) for his reasons why he kept knowledge of Weinstein’s rape and sexual harassment incidents quiet.

Baldwin has also done an odd thing where he’s come out acknowledging he’s “bullied women.” Who knows what that means, but obviously there’s some dirty laundry there.

Amazing how just two months ago all of these characters now losing their shows, their endorsements, reputations and supposedly high-road roles in society were slamming their president over his stupid sexist remarks. But what’s more amazing is not one stopped to think that maybe, just maybe ‘I should stick to eating worms and keep my mouth shut.’ Good advice from Baldwin, but it’s a little too late.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Here's all the Baldwin stuff, bizarre.

https://www.thedaily...f-mark-halperin

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:08 AM

Somewhere within that massive CNN sexual harassment stuff is stuff on Baldwin, too?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#109 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

I wonder if the lawsuits that were filed against this man were to happen today, the outcome and settlement might not have been forgotten.

http://www.bishop-ac...condLawsuit.htm

http://www.standard-...-facing-lawsuit

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...claims-1.342415

• David Bratzer likes this

#110 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:24 PM

I wonder if the lawsuits that were filed against this man were to happen today, the outcome and settlement might not have been forgotten.

http://www.bishop-ac...condLawsuit.htm

http://www.standard-...-facing-lawsuit

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...claims-1.342415

What was the outcome for these lawsuits?

#111 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:20 AM

This happened in BC a year ago.

A B.C. correctional officer says superiors tried to buy her silence by offering her a plum job in exchange for signing a "gag order" that would prevent her from discussing settlement details after a controversial training camp.

The three-week program took place in Chilliwack, B.C., in the fall of 2016, and was designed to train 26 Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) officers as emergency response team members — people highly trained for combat, employing weapons and tactics in dangerous situations.

She also describes a number of events she found disturbing, including being forced to drink alcohol during a team-building event, finding her bras and panties strewn about her dorm room, and being woken in the middle of the night and made to stand in front of her male colleagues, wearing only a thin tank top and small shorts.

"It was humiliating," Vanegas says. "I was trying to cover myself with my arms, and they made me stand at attention."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4384238?cmp=rss

#112 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:32 AM

^ Any time there is a settlement offered in any situation there is almost always a confidentiality clause associated with it. 

Anyone who has ever undertaken any sort of basic training in the military, police, or justice system knows that it is not a pleasant experience. 

#113 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:42 AM

What was the outcome for these lawsuits?

That's the point. I am not sure that anyone but Reverend Al Tysick, The United Church of Canada, Jean Perkins, and Collett Tracey know the answer to that question. The $3.1 Million sexual abuse civil suits just faded away. No news, no nothing. I do know that Reverend Al later "retired" from Our Place only to get right back to work forming another poverty assistance society. Could that have happened in today's climate?

#114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

That's the point. I am not sure that anyone but Reverend Al Tysick, The United Church of Canada, Jean Perkins, and Collett Tracey know the answer to that question. The $3.1 Million sexual abuse civil suits just faded away. No news, no nothing. I do know that Reverend Al later "retired" from Our Place only to get right back to work forming another poverty assistance society. Could that have happened in today's climate?

And one that runs on a half $ million budget every year too, pretty large operation.

http://www.cra-arc.g...B%26amp%3Bp%3D1

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#115 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

^ Interesting to note that 1/3 of that budget ($179,000) is spent on fundraising.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#116 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

A 'kit bomb' is a common training tactic. If you leave your kit locker or room door unlocked, all of your belongings will be thrown around. Yes it is humiliating. If you can't be bothered to keep your locker locked, we aren't going to give you access to a C8 on the ERT.
  • VicHockeyFan and spanky123 like this

#117 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

^I understand the purported purpose of hazing and its intent to instill discipline and loyalty but you can bet the guys doing these pranks were getting sexual kicks from doing it to her.

• spanky123 likes this

#118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Where's former CBC pop star Gian Ghomeshi these days?

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

Where's former CBC pop star Gian Ghomeshi these days?

https://theideationproject.com/

https://www.vice.com...-angry-about-it

The man behind Jian Ghomeshi's comeback—The Ideation Project—says people should "let the art speak for the art."

Ron Hartenbaum, a manager at New York City-based WYD Media Management, the company that is heading up Ghomeshi's new series of online videos, told VICE he's hoping the Ideation Project will spark public dialogue about the topics it covers.

"My comment on Jian's past is that it's his past. It is in the past. I reacted to creative content that I heard, which now others are hearing in a more finished and polished sense."

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 November 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

Meh. Lame.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users