Photo

Saanich Greener Garbage collection

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

The garbage bins will have dirty diapers, used tampons and pads, etc. If that doesn't intrigue the animals, I don't know what will!

Actually from the FAQ: http://www.saanich.c...rbage/faqs.html

"What about combined organic and non-organic waste?
Combined waste such as diapers should be separated by scraping organics into the green bin before disposal"

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

Combined waste such as diapers should be separated by scraping organics into the green bin before disposal"

...scraping organics...

NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

I hate to imagine their advice on what to do with feminine hygiene products.

• LJ, LocalMom and D.L. like this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

I've seen diapers and dog poop bags shoved into those bins in the parks.  How do they deal with that?  :mad:

#24 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

:)
  • Matt R. likes this

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

^Not to mention the bloody mini-pads in the steak and chicken supermarket trays.

"New Delivered Garbage Cart Lids Not Closing Properly
Please be aware that if the lid on your new wheeled garbage cart does not close properly, it will over time as the outside temperature warms up. The reason for this condition is due to the carts being shipped with the lids already attached while stacked along with being shipped and stored in cooler temperatures. The lids should regain their shape and close properly with time and as the temperature warms. If the lid has not regained its shape and close properly by the beginning of the program in April, please contact us at 250-475-5533 or email greenergarbage@saanich.ca."

The weather has warmed up and now we're eagerly anticipating "The Shutting Of The Lid" event. I don't know about you, but when the big day arrives we'll be ready with plenty of hot wings, potato salad and Pepsi. We predict "The Shutting Of The Lid" will occur at 3 pm, March 29.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#26 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

I heard at work this afternoon that in the CRD we are going to have to separate our glass into a separate container starting in May.

People are going to need to expand their garages to be able to hold all of these freaking containers! One for paper, one for glass, one for plastics, one for garbage and another for organics. Jeeeeez...

#27 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

I heard at work this afternoon that in the CRD we are going to have to separate our glass into a separate container starting in May.

People are going to need to expand their garages to be able to hold all of these freaking containers! One for paper, one for glass, one for plastics, one for garbage and another for organics. Jeeeeez...

I vote they leave it as is and hire the homeless to sort it for them.
  • Mike K. likes this

#28 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

Hire them? They do it for free!

Matt.

#29 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

Hire them? They do it for free!

Matt.

Only if they get to keep the pop and beer cans and bottles :P.

#30 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

The separation is not of the CRD's doing, but rather the new MMBC contracts.

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

I'm going to enjoy Frank Stanford's show when he has someone from the CRD on to ask why they'll still be collecting recycling fees from our taxes after MMBC starts charging. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#32 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

We've started using the organics bin, and our garbage has dropped by 2/3. Sorry to hear the program seems so challenging for some folks. 

#33 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

We were part of the Oak Bay pilot project for this and gave up after a year. The problem was the bi-weekly p/u in hot weather. The smell from the bin was overwhelming and we ended up with rats in our carport. I found one making a nest on top of the engine block of one of our cars! In hot weather the frequency of p/u needed to be accelerated.

It will be interesting to see what happens this summer if we get a heat wave now this has been expanded.

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

^Good point. Just because it's latched doesn't mean every critter and varmint around can't smell it and go nuts trying to get inside. A normal compost can actually have a pleasant smell but this can is going to get naaaasty.

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

I found one making a nest on top of the engine block of one of our cars! In hot weather the frequency of p/u needed to be accelerated.

Many automakers are using mother-nature friendly soy based insulation on their wiring which rodents find tasty. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#36 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

Yeah, my parents never had rats until their neighbor started composting.

The garbage can in my house starts to get fruit flies in the spring, summer and fall after only a couple of days, and most of our organic stuff goes down the garbage disposal. I imagine those organic bins will attract many flies and rats.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Won't neighbourhood cats solve the rat problem?

I swear if I see a rat around my place because of one of these bins it's bye-bye green binning.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Then we'll need extra dogs to control the cats

#39 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

Bob Barker killed that idea through years of telling his audience to control the pet population and spay and neuter their cats. 

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

I dunno, there must be a dozen cats roaming my block. Surely they'll keep the rats in check, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users