82 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

Only one way to find out... 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

I dunno, there must be a dozen cats roaming my block. Surely they'll keep the rats in check, no?

And two weeks later there will be people wandering around gathering signatures to stop the "rat cull."

• Mike K. and sebberry like this

#43 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

Won't neighbourhood cats solve the rat problem?

I swear if I see a rat around my place because of one of these bins it's bye-bye green binning.

What's the alternative?   

#44 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Found this on Reddit: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqQPC7uvco8

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#45 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

I watched the truck come by our place twice the other day. First a truck came by and picked up the black bin, and then awhile later a different truck came for the green bin, and after that truck had left I found bits of kitchen waste... :banana:  scattered around the empty bin.    I don't know how long those bins will last, as the lifting mechanism gives the bin a pretty good shake when it empties into the truck.

On alternate weeks a different truck comes around for the blue recycling bins.

So now you have all these different trucks running around the neighbourhood blocking traffic, and causing extra pollution.

Seems to me they could design one truck that comes once every two weeks and takes everything away.

Somebody must be getting rich, eh?

• Matt R. likes this

#46 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

It doesn't appear that the lifting mechanism uses the metal bar on the garbage bins. 

It looks as if any properly sized bin would work. 

#47 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

It doesn't appear that the lifting mechanism uses the metal bar on the garbage bins. 

The tongs give it a great big bin hug, and then flop it up into the truck. The metal bar needs to be facing the truck, otherwise the lid on the bin does not open the properly.

And if the bin is too far away from the road, the tongs can't grab the thing.

It's all about the TONGS..

P1030920.jpg

P1030921.jpg

#48 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Agreed. I found myself strangely disappointed how low-tech the operation looked. I mean, the extending arm is pretty fancy and  the procedure seemed to work efficiently, but the metal bar sure looks like something purpose-built for some machine somewhere.

#49 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Due to the mixup with my lid I know there is a company in Texas with the same bins. Perhaps theirs use the bars.
The shaking is sure needed. My green bin has not yet been 100% emptied yet, the grass at the bottom doesn't make it out.

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

My green bin has not yet been 100% emptied yet, the grass at the bottom doesn't make it out.

The first thing I put in is some branches or shrubbery clippings. That prevents clippings and gunk from sticking directly to the bottom. I give the inside a quick spray with the hose afterwards. Still, this thing is going to get ripe in the summer.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

So Saanich allows lawn clippings and garden waste? Victoria says houseplants are cool but not garden waste.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

That's funny. In my experience lawn clippings make fantastic compost as they are soft and break down quickly.

#53 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

So Saanich allows lawn clippings and garden waste? Victoria says houseplants are cool but not garden waste.

Saanich says basically everything but giant branches, soil, root balls and "invasive species" which I guess rules out scotch broom and ivy.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#54 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

I crammed in a bunch of blackberry branches I ripped out without issue fwiw

• Mike K. likes this

#55 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

^Well, yeah, they don't inspect the bins so it's possible to put anything in the bin, including Jimmy Hoffa but they'd rather you stick to the permitted items.

If it weren't for the yard waste, our bin would never be even half full, even with militant organics policing and a large household. Our garbage bin on the other hand, is full. Mind you, there's baby in the house and the mother balked at Saanich's suggestion of separately scraping off diaper "organics" into the green bin.

#56 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

If it weren't for the yard waste, our bin would never be even half full, even with militant organics policing and a large household. Our garbage bin on the other hand, is full. Mind you, there's baby in the house and the mother balked at Saanich's suggestion of separately scraping off diaper "organics" into the green bin.

I thought no human waste products were allowed (urine, feces, blood) in the green bins?! Heck, no urine, feces or blood of any sort, no?

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:53 AM

^As I understand it, all organics, including any part of, or excretions from a body goes in the bin, as long as it's not either wrapped in plastic or absorbed by something not organic. So, the contents of a diaper, yes, the bloody maxi pad from the bottom of the ground beef package, no. 

Now, does that mean that deer you drove over goes in the bin? I don't know, but if you can stuff the antlers in and still close the lid you may be good to go. 

• jonny likes this

#58 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

^As I understand it, all organics, including any part of, or excretions from a body goes in the bin,

Guess we don't need to ship medical waste to Oregon for incineration any more. 

• LocalMom likes this

#59 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

I thought no human waste products were allowed (urine, feces, blood) in the green bins?! Heck, no urine, feces or blood of any sort, no?

I made a joke about Saanich's policy on "organics" from diapers.. I'm beginning to think people actually believed that is their policy..

Just in case anyone is still confused

OrganicsRecyclingGuide2014.jpg

Edited by pherthyl, 07 May 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#60 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

I find that the volume of my new Saanich garbage bin is more the two bins I used to use.  My own normal household waste would take about two months to fill the bin.  I could easily live with much fewer pick ups.  

Given that the bins are all the same size and use an arm to lift the bins, it should be possible to add a sensor that weighs each bin as it is dumped.  This would mean you could charge by the kilo for garbage.   I would also them use GPS software to measure if a house had a pick up or not.  This would allow people to choose to put out their bins or not and be charged based on each pick up.  If you only need a pickup once every six weeks, why pay for ones every two weeks?

The new method of dumping the waste should allow for a very precise charge back for the service

My compost bin will only fill because of yard waste, it is convenient that I can put the yard waste in

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users