Saanich Greener Garbage collection

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

^ You realize that you live in the same city that has GPS systems on buses to activate transit lights but didn't turn them on for 4 years right?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#62 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

Then people who don't want to get charged for garbage and recycling pick-up would start dumping their refuse at apartment buildings and businesses to avoid having to pay.

It wouldn't work.

#63 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

For the amount involved, hardly worth the effort to dump it elsewhere given the savings over the year.   It is enough to be worth to not roll the bin out the curb if it is not full  

#64 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

I find that the volume of my new Saanich garbage bin is more the two bins I used to use.  My own normal household waste would take about two months to fill the bin.  I could easily live with much fewer pick ups.  

Given that the bins are all the same size and use an arm to lift the bins, it should be possible to add a sensor that weighs each bin as it is dumped.  This would mean you could charge by the kilo for garbage.   I would also them use GPS software to measure if a house had a pick up or not.  This would allow people to choose to put out their bins or not and be charged based on each pick up.  If you only need a pickup once every six weeks, why pay for ones every two weeks?

The new method of dumping the waste should allow for a very precise charge back for the service

My compost bin will only fill because of yard waste, it is convenient that I can put the yard waste in

Each bin has a serial number stamped on it the I assume is different for everyone, so it should be ease to scan and weigh each bin.

But then you would have residents sneaking out in the middle of the night to dump their refuse in the neighbours bin.  :ph34r:

#65 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Each bin has a serial number stamped on it the I assume is different for everyone, so it should be ease to scan and weigh each bin.

But then you would have residents sneaking out in the middle of the night to dump their refuse in the neighbours bin.  :ph34r:

Or horrible persons such as myself swapping neighbour's bins just to mess with the system.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#66 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

The folks down the road have stuffed their bins with enough palm fronds to stick out two feet out the top. I don't think that's going to go over well.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#67 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

For the amount involved, hardly worth the effort to dump it elsewhere given the savings over the year.   It is enough to be worth to not roll the bin out the curb if it is not full  

You underestimate people!

#68 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

I definitely know snowbirds who dont pay for garbage removal and half the year throw it in parks/friends/apartments etc. Seems insane, but people are crazy!

#69 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:35 PM

The grey bin is for garbage and you'll continue to use the blue bins for recycling.

http://saanich.ca/se...collection.html

The program is not even two years old and now they want to introduce more wheeled totes to replace the blue boxes and bags.

I wonder what colour those bins will be to keep them separate from the existing bins.

Sounds like a good opportunity to clear out the junk in the garage and get rid of some banned substances.

more: http://www.timescolo...totes-1.2074062

#70 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:38 PM

The program is not even two years old and now they want to introduce more wheeled totes to replace the blue boxes and bags.

I wonder what colour those bins will be to keep them separate from the existing bins.

Sounds like a good opportunity to clear out the junk in the garage and get rid of some banned substances.

more: http://www.timescolo...totes-1.2074062

Oak Bay has wheeled totes for paper for about 2 decades.

#71 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:51 AM

Oak Bay has wheeled totes for paper for about 2 decades.

I am talking about scrapping the blue box and blue bags program and adding additional totes to those already in place, at least that's what I think the plan is.

http://www.timescolo...totes-1.2074062

#72 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:42 AM

I am talking about scrapping the blue box and blue bags program and adding additional totes to those already in place, at least that's what I think the plan is.

http://www.timescolo...totes-1.2074062

Right, just saying that Oak Bay has never used those blue bags for paper (I hate them personally), but has used the boxes.

#73 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

The bags suck. Way too small, and too weak, and I've had a couple disappear due to wind.

The boxes are okay, though too small in general for a 2 week time period. You can use other boxes, so long as one is a blue box. I'll often use a cardboard box for cardboard, and they toss the whole works in, perfect.

The problem with new wheeled totes is how many we'd need. I already have one for garbage, and one for compost. Am I going to end up with 5, adding one for paper/cardboard, one for plastics, and one for glass?

Glass separation - when is that happening, or has it already?

#74 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

The problem with new wheeled totes is how many we'd need. I already have one for garbage, and one for compost. Am I going to end up with 5, adding one for paper/cardboard, one for plastics, and one for glass?

Plus one for soft plastics, one for styrofoam, one for thermal paper, one for old AOL free trial discs, one for still-edible food to be donated to charity.

#75 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

Oh, and batteries and paint.

#76 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

I think the totes should be free and they should be disposable and recycled, in fact maybe the truck could squirt a new tote out the back as they crunch the old one,

I mean don't they have the technology to do that with a 3D printer.

#77 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

For $75 a quarter you can get two normal sized cans of garbage picked up every week. No more separating. No fuss. I've given up on "recycling" myself.

Edited by insanelydeadlydisease, 03 October 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#78 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:41 AM

For $75 a quarter you can get two normal sized cans of garbage picked up every week. No more separating. No fuss. I've given up on "recycling" myself.

Which can get your garbage collector fined by the CRD if they find too many prohibited items being dumped at Hartland.

#79 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

Which can get your garbage collector fined by the CRD if they find too many prohibited items being dumped at Hartland.

Then the CRD should consider adding still another tote into the mix specifically for prohibited items.

If it isn't made convenient to dispose of these items, people will be stuffing them into the cans on the street corner or leaving them in country road ditch.

#80 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:55 PM

Can you actually opt out of paying for your portion of recycling collection or municipal garbage and compost collection?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users