32 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Skip the retail altogether.

UVic has the little bookstore café at the bus exchange.  How about something small like that where people can grab a snack, coffee, etc...

Or at the very least some leasable space intended for a use like that?  It could help to pay for the upkeep of the station. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Mike, the reason I put in retail, was so that the station would act as a multi function hub and be an extra revenue generator for the railway.

Edited by UrbanRail, 11 February 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

Yeah I hear you, but you also have to take into account how large the retail space will be and how viable it will be for someone to operate as a business. And for the station owner the monies spent to find a tenant, maintain a tenant and deal with the potential of tenant issues would likely offset any benefit.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

Yeah I hear you, but you also have to take into account how large the retail space will be and how viable it will be for someone to operate as a business. And for the station owner the monies spent to find a tenant, maintain a tenant and deal with the potential of tenant issues would likely offset any benefit.

Very true, I think in my design the retail space is about the size of the ones on the newer bc ferries.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

Yeah, I'd say that's a no-go. A 50 square foot candy/smokes/paper kiosk might make a go of it but anything larger will cost a leaseholder thousands every month while providing little opportunity for revenue.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, I'd say that's a no-go. A 50 square foot candy/smokes/paper kiosk might make a go of it but anything larger will cost a leaseholder thousands every month while providing little opportunity for revenue.

It's more of a kiosk.

#27 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

I have added good pedestrian connections as a new poll option

#28 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

I have extended the poll results feedback until Feb 20

#29 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

I have added good pedestrian connections as a new poll option

Users will have to delete their vote and vote again in order to select the new options.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#30 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

thank you I didn't realize that,

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Was the poll deleted?

Know it all.

#32 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

That's weird, the poll is missing

#33 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

That's odd.

I know I removed my previous vote so I could select the new options and I was able to add my new vote and see the results. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users