Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:34 PM

^Bush pilots. Look it up.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#602 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:00 PM

Come to think of it I don’t think I’ve ever flown on the Beaver. Maybe once? Dunno.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#603 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:07 PM

Moosemeat:19.jpg

Diesel:13.jpg

They all have their own..unique...smell!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#604 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:00 AM

Helijet International has announced the addition of more scheduled flights between Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland, as B.C. continues to reopen.

Starting June 8, the number of flights between Vancouver and Victoria will increase to five round trips each weekday, up from three daily roundtrips.

The number of roundtrip flights is set to double between Vancouver and Nanaimo, increasing daily roundtrips from two to four during the week.

https://www.cheknews...reopens-672492/

#605 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:11 PM

Why all the doom and gloom? Have to start somewhere. The first gas airplane couldn't fly very far, either.

This is basic physics at work. There's not enough energy density in batteries and never will be to support flying long distances.

#606 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:13 PM

This is basic physics at work. There's not enough energy density in batteries and never will be to support flying long distance

Explain "never will be".

#607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:33 PM

Nio’s stock is flying after the company announced it had performed 500,000 battery swaps on its electric vehicles.

I think that’s a solution airlines will want to implement. While the plane is out jumping the puddle batteries are charging. That’s the only way.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#608 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:44 PM

Explain "never will be".

It’s a chemical process. And I think it has theoretical limits.

#609 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:05 PM

Yes, for our current battery chemistries. Lithium-ion or other current battery techs won't work because the energy density will never be high enough to allow for hundreds or thousands of miles of flight.

However, I asked for an explanation because the term 'Never' implies we won't develop a battery chemistry that supports much higher energy density. Lithium-Air perhaps or something else.

#610 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:56 AM

Nio’s stock is flying after the company announced it had performed 500,000 battery swaps on its electric vehicles.

I think that’s a solution airlines will want to implement. While the plane is out jumping the puddle batteries are charging. That’s the only way.

With the trial battery weighing a tonne and costing 1/3 the price of the plane, I still don't see a swap as being practical. 

#611 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

The weight isn't an insurmountable issue. I still don't get that concern. Price either - its a fixed one time cost.

Until battery density and recharge times increase significantly, swaps are probably the most efficient way to make this work.

#612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

You’d need three per aircraft, so yeah, it’s an expensive pursuit. These planes sometimes circle around when a large vessel is in their landing path or other aircraft are landing/taking off.

Know it all.

#613 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:02 AM

Yes, for our current battery chemistries. Lithium-ion or other current battery techs won't work because the energy density will never be high enough to allow for hundreds or thousands of miles of flight.

However, I asked for an explanation because the term 'Never' implies we won't develop a battery chemistry that supports much higher energy density. Lithium-Air perhaps or something else.

i think we don't expect to discovery any additional elements or compounds.  so there is still a theoretical limit on how much energy we can get from a certain battery weight.  no matter what.  what we might get better at is the charging (speed) end.  we might also collect some solar energy in-flight or develop more efficient electric engines that use less power.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 June 2020 - 08:03 AM.

#614 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:08 AM

The weight isn't an insurmountable issue. I still don't get that concern. Price either - its a fixed one time cost.

Until battery density and recharge times increase significantly, swaps are probably the most efficient way to make this work.

How do you exchange a one tonne battery while a plane is alongside a jetty? I guess you could build a battery exchange facility then that is just more cost you have to amortize over every flight.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#615 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:15 AM

How do you exchange a one tonne battery while a plane is alongside a jetty? I guess you could build a battery exchange facility then that is just more cost you have to amortize over every flight.

Battery Changing Surcharge for your passengers.....  :rolleyes:

#616 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:16 AM

i think we don't expect to discovery any additional elements or compounds.  so there is still a theoretical limit on how much energy we can get from a certain battery weight.  no matter what.  what we might get better at is the charging (speed) end.  we might also collect some solar energy in-flight or develop more efficient electric engines that use less power.

Yes, but that limit is already known for Li-Air as one example, and it's close to gasoline: the theoretical specific energy of a non-aqueous Li–air battery, in the charged state with Li2O2 product and excluding the oxygen mass, is ~40.1 MJ/kg. This is comparable to the theoretical specific energy of gasoline, ~46.8 MJ/kg

https://en.wikipedia...ium–air_battery

We certainly could still find more elements, though not likely in large quantities, particularly here on earth.

#617 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:18 AM

AI robots on a floating battery-change barge can charge it.

#618 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:19 AM

Yes, but that limit is already known for Li-Air as one example, and it's close to gasoline: the theoretical specific energy of a non-aqueous Li–air battery, in the charged state with Li2O2 product and excluding the oxygen mass, is ~40.1 MJ/kg. This is comparable to the theoretical specific energy of gasoline, ~46.8 MJ/kg

https://en.wikipedia...ium–air_battery

We certainly could still find more elements, though not likely in large quantities, particularly here on earth.

ah, very good.  now we have some science.  i did not realize they were so close.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 June 2020 - 08:20 AM.

#619 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:21 AM

Dilithium.

Edited by Rob Randall, 05 June 2020 - 08:21 AM.

• Matt R., Greg and Victoria Watcher like this

#620 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:50 PM

Nuclear!!!

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users