Flutracker

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

I think that perhaps the University should have a first year course on washing hands. The correlation to ring road is astounding.

http://www.timescolo...-spots-1.824904

flutracker.ca

Edited by wisevictoria, 06 February 2014 - 08:55 PM.

Wise Victoria Mortgages - Offering honest & reliable mortgage advice to Victorians.

www.wisevictoria.com - 225 Dundas Street at the corner of Bay and Catherine - 250 388 9473

#2 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

Before I clicked on the thread I was wondering what a flut racker would turn out to be. :)

• Nparker and wisevictoria like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

This is what I was going for.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 8.54.16 PM.png

Wise Victoria Mortgages - Offering honest & reliable mortgage advice to Victorians.

www.wisevictoria.com - 225 Dundas Street at the corner of Bay and Catherine - 250 388 9473

#4 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

I think that perhaps the University should have a first year course on washing hands. The correlation to ring road is astounding.

http://www.timescolo...-spots-1.824904

flutracker.ca

Probably has more to do with the fact that UVic is the largest destination in the region and it brings all these people together in fairly tight quarters. This includes a couple of thousand kids and staff who come together multiple times a day in the residence cafeterias it is not reasonable to expect anything different.

As I look at the infographic I wonder what influence the source of data has. It is using Twitter activity which probably skews heavily to the same demographic that attends university.

And as a matter of fact hand-washing information is plastered all over campus and IS actually part of new student orientation. As an employee on campus I wash my hands as often as I can and try not to touch doorknobs and handrails with my bare hands.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

Shouldn't downtown Victoria be a massive red spot then? A hundred thousand come through there every day, while maybe 10,000 do through Uvic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

I call faulty data set. UVic students are going to be more tech savy and have a higher rate of Twitter usage than the average population. Add to that the health sciences school and likely students using social media to discuss health concerns more readily. I am more interested in the small bubble of red in Oak Bay.

• Nparker and tedward like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

So something that tracks Twitter use shows higher incidence in the places that use Twitter more?? So surprising.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

I am more interested in the small bubble of red in Oak Bay.

Me too...I've narrowed it down to this section of Willows Beach.

Willows2.jpg

#9 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Shouldn't downtown Victoria be a massive red spot then? A hundred thousand come through there every day, while maybe 10,000 do through Uvic.

Nope, unless the occupants of those offices go from meeting to meeting (of anywhere from 8 - 80 people)  moving between rooms and even buildings every hour between 8:30 and 4:30.

The movements of students are significantly different than office workers.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Nope, unless the occupants of those offices go from meeting to meeting (of anywhere from 8 - 80 people)  moving between rooms and even buildings every hour between 8:30 and 4:30.

If the students and office workers are all sharing the same bus, hacking and coughing...sneezing into their cell phones while they twitter away spreading germs...ugh!

• tedward likes this

#11 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Even more perplexing - the node near Prospect Lake. That has to be one of the least populated areas of the city. Also, not exactly a demographic known for twitter use.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

Perhaps it shows that Uvic students like to walk along Willows and complain about their flu while out rowing?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

^that's gotta be it.

I dunno, I'd say there's easily thousands of people walking at any one moment between buildings within only downtown Victoria-proper., from 8AM to 6PM. I mean aren't there 200,000 people within the City of Victoria during an average business day, and many of them come through downtown at some point during an average business day?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

There are literally thousands of people on downtown Victoria's sidewalks at any point in time during regular business hours. Every hour more people must traverse through downtown, walk between businesses, between restaurants, between hotels, between offices., etc, than there are students and workers at UVic throughout the day. And from what I've seen when class is in session UVic's grounds can look kinda barren.

But anyhow, if there wasn't something up with UVic's response rate or what have you we'd see at least some semblance of red at Camosun.

Know it all.

#15 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

There are literally thousands of people on downtown Victoria's sidewalks at any point in time during regular business hours...

OK, there is your biggest misunderstanding which is throwing you way out of whack. The transmission of flu virus in the open air (ie passing someone on the sidewalk) is insignificant compared to being in an enclosed space (ie a classroom) with an infected person. To transmit person to person outside you pretty much have to cough or sneeze directly into their face.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Well, no, those people are all coming from and going somewhere. They don't just wander the streets all day (well some do I guess)  :)

Know it all.

#17 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:13 AM

First time I have read this thread hence late response. I think Oak Bay red dote could be Glenlyon Norfolk School.

#18 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

First time I have read this thread hence late response. I think Oak Bay red dote could be Glenlyon Norfolk School.

That campus is from pre-school to grade 5. Those private school kids sure start early on Twitter! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users