Photo

The More Victoria Changes, the More It Stays the Same...

• Please log in to reply
819 replies to this topic

#321 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

Daily Colonist
December 9, 1944

Feels Saanich Should Become Part of City

K.W. Richmond, councillor for Ward Seven, Saanich, announced yesterday he would not stand for re-election this year because he felt he would be condoning the ward system, to which he was opposed. Saanich would not progress under the present setup, he stated.

"...I have consistently fought against the ward system and feel it would be detrimental to take part in the council's deliberations now. It would be condoning the system. Improvements to roads and street lighting cannot be fairly instituted under such division."

There were two opposing factions in Saanich, the councillor stated, the farmers and the urban dwellers. He felt the answer was a Greater Victoria.

"Everything done in Saanich has been of a temporary nature, except for one school. While our finances are in good shape and our taxes are comparatively low, we have nothing to show for it. By the time we get around to permanent improvements in lights, roads, and facilities, our taxes will be as high as in Victoria. We might as well profit by amalgamation, and do away with the factions caused by the ward system."

Edited by aastra, 24 February 2020 - 04:05 PM.

#322 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:46 PM

In 2020, Victoria is Canada's busiest cruise port and it's a big problem... the natural environment is reeling, property values have sunk into the toilet, James Bay residents are having strokes and nervous breakdowns, etc.

But in 1979 the big problem was a possible slight decline in the number of cruise ship visits. No matter what's going on, it's a problem:

Daily colonist
July 17, 1979

Victoria losing cruise appeal, planners told

Ogden Point Sharing Criticized

Cruise ships will bypass Victoria altogether, going straight up to Alaska, unless action is taken to make the city more attractive to the cruise ship companies, according to Empress manager Ted Balderson.

Two years ago 31 ships called at Victoria, and this year there will be only 25.

"Other ports are making it more attractive, and we are going to lose more," he told members of the Regional Visitors Development Committee...

Regional Planner Charles Wakelyn said the whole subject of cruise ships should be investigated.

"One of the reasons we are getting fewer cruise ships is competition at Ogden Point from freighters," he said.

"If it were possible to make Victoria an origin or destination point, we would probably win and additional bed night from each traveller."

Edited by aastra, 24 February 2020 - 05:48 PM.

#323 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:33 PM

Victoria is always perched on the precipice of disaster:

Daily Colonist
April 17, 1957

Letters to the Editor

Victoria's Madness

The Dallas Road "improvements" are being done, it would seem, as an attraction for tourists, an inducement for them to visit Victoria and therein spend their dollars. But one wonders if it will attract tourists. With all North America becoming more industrialized and more removed from the natural state, will cement curbs, shaven lawns, and parking bays on Dallas Road charm the tourists?

Victorians should remember their city is fast becoming just another town on this great continent. No better, no worse, than dozens of others...

(I don't disagree with the main point re: unnecessary transformation of Victoria's unique natural environment, but I'm still going to file this as yet another example of the "Victoria has been ruined or is currently being ruined" narrative.)

#324 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

From that same page:

Daily Colonist
April 17, 1957

Letters to the Editor

Destroying Landmarks

We cry out for a new police station, a new city hall, homes for old people, more museum space, hostels for the different forces, etc. yet continue to raze buildings that would suffice, with a little alteration, and be at the same time ornaments for the tourists as well as for ourselves to gaze upon and enjoy.

If the wrecking and rebuilding are being done to keep men at work, why not clear out disgraceful junk piles, clear out the rubbish from Colquitz stream and make it an attractive natural rivulet, meandering through the countryside as the river Avon does through the city of Christchurch in New Zealand. How about making the beach below Dallas Road attractive and more easily accessible for young and old tottery feet? What about clearing underbrush and fallen trees, and making neat trails and paths throughout Goldstream Park?

• jsan likes this

#325 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:57 PM

This might put the exclamation point on the "hidden gems" thing:

Daily Colonist
July 19, 1956

Thinking Aloud

A chap asked me yesterday when last I was atop the Hudson's Bay building. He thought he had me stumped, believing I'd never scanned the local landscape from that enviable point.

But indeed I had, only a year or so ago, so he was mortified. Doubly so really, for he himself never has been up there. There will be thousands of other Victorians in the same boat, unaware of what they've missed.

A truly beautiful view of this celestial-like city.

I daresay most tourists make a point of climbing to the HBC roof garden; actually though, it's not much of a climb. Nothing like paying a visit to Captain Vancouver. I did that, too, a few years ago, and a tortuous staircase he keeps below him.

On the other hands -- lest you think I'm boasting -- I've never been to the top of Mount Douglas. I can go there any day, you see, or think I can, so I don't go.  Were I a tourist and doubtful if I'd be back, I'd make sure to run the car up the first time I passed that way.

It takes the visitor to know a city.

Why almost the very first thing Marilyn Bell did on waking up in Victoria on Monday was to take the marine drive round the waterfront. I shouldn't wonder if some people have been here for years and never set foot on the Dallas Road cliffs.

That's the funny way people behave. What is under our nose, or alongside it, either escapes notice or is so familiar it is despised.

Home towns have no honor with their own folks, you see. We run a mile to see all the sights of places we visit but we ignore our own relics.

Night school should have a class that teaches citizens about their own city.

• Rob Randall and jsan like this

#326 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:05 PM

I like to give 1950s Victorians heck for having little regard for the city's architectural history, but some people were obviously aware of the process that was underway:

Daily Colonist
December 14, 1958

First-Class Attraction

Victoria's public market is a first-class tourist attraction -- for those tourists who know it is there. At some of the stalls you can buy such commodities as home-cured kippers and farm butter, which people have a hard job buying anywhere else.

Little effort is made, however, to publicize the city market. And now the city is talking about tearing it down to make parking space. Isn't there some other suitable site for parking?

The building that houses the market is rather chill and drafty, but it is still solid enough to stand for a long time yet. It used to be the station for the old Victoria and Sidney Railway. Is it good economics to tear such a building down when Victoria is always prating about its history? I wonder.

• Rob Randall likes this

#327 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:09 PM

So Victorians back then were always prating about the city's history, but then not really following through. Amazing.

#328 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:06 PM

That is truly unfortunate especially when a public market adjoining Centennial Square would be vastly more successful than the current one (that I do like BTW)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#329 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:31 AM

CBC archives including a some footage of the public hearing on the Eaton Centre downtown

https://www.cbc.ca/a...ntown-1.5476858

• Rob Randall likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#330 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:10 AM

Victorians should be worried. Their city is at risk of becoming just like every other city, and thus turning off the tourists (every fear narrative plays on endless repeat... for there is nothing new under the sun):

Daily Colonist
September 18, 1909

Lord Northcliffe, the greatest newspaper proprietor in the world, arrived in the city yesterday...

Cities should not allow hideous buildings to be erected...

Skyscrapers, elevators, ugly factors of all kinds, should be kept out of the skyline in Victoria at all hazards.

...If the townspeople allow it to become a mere replica of a thousand and one cities in the United States it will cease to be a point of attraction.

The journey across the continent is now such a simple and easy matter, the facilities for reaching Victoria from the United States are so great that the tourist traffic should be an immense source of revenue. This revenue would be lost at once if Victoria were turned into a young Sheffield or Chicago.

• Nparker and jsan like this

#331 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:01 AM

I would really need to know what parts of Victoria's architecture Lord Northcliffe found exemplary and which he found disagreeable.

if Victoria were turned into a young Sheffield or Chicago.

Sheffield today is a mix of old and new as it was bombed heavily in the war. The patchmarks on the City Hall columns are from bomb shrapnel:

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

#332 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:17 PM

Gotta change things in order to preserve things:

Daily Colonist
May 29, 1973

"Radical" Stand Made to Keep Beach Flavor

A "radical" rezoning proposal made by Oak Bay Ald. Brian Smith Monday night led to a council decision to draw up a bylaw to rezone the Esplanade area down to single family from its present apartment zoning.

The two blocks adjacent to Willows Park have been the subject of considerable controversy recently with the announcement by Dunn Holdings of plans to build an apartment block in the area.

It is also the area where council has been working to get residents to voluntarily ask for a change from the apartment zoning which has been in effect for about 45 years.

Edited by aastra, 06 June 2020 - 12:21 PM.

#333 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 02:09 PM

I guess 100 years ago they assumed the waterfront would be more urban. Hotels and apartments.

#334 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:23 PM

The police always need to be changing gears to more community-style policing and the police always need to ever more self-conscious about appearances... no matter what they're currently doing or what changes they've made previously. Are these yet more phantom objectives that can never actually be reached? More perpetual crises?

The cognitive dissonance is strong here as well (as it tends to be in every longstanding political/media narrative). On the one hand the police departments have received endless grief for their lack of diversity and for not being sufficiently community-focused, but on the other hand they're still not doing nearly enough profiling by skin colour and other attributes. They really need to step up the labeling and the categorizing and the de-individualization. You know, in order to combat it.

Victoria News
June 10, 2020

Police board requests racial, gender analysis of Victoria police force

Board’s motion one of many working to address racism, discrimination in policing

The Victoria Police Department will undergo an analysis to reveal the racial and gender composition of its members against that of the general population, following a decision by the Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board.

The results of that analysis, which will look at Black, Indigenous, other people of colour, and women – will provide a baseline for focused recruiting, according to VicPD. The motion is one of four adopted by the police board at a meeting June 9 in an effort to look at “current processes and practices” and find ways to improve.

Changing the face of the force
Times-Colonist
21 Mar 2005

Police efforts to build cultural diversity and sensitivity are showing signs of paying off.

The perception of Greater Victoria police forces as white, male organizations stuck in their North American culture is changing, thanks to a concerted effort to reach out to minorities in the community and knock down the cultural barriers that keep some people from calling police.

A way of checking progress is to see if police department personnel reflect the diversity found in the community, said Const. Leslie Whittaker of the Victoria police staffing office. About six per cent of the 212 officers on staff are from visible minorities, while 24 per cent are women, including one self-identified lesbian, said Whittaker.

"Are we representative of the city we police? We're becoming more so but we've got a long way to go," she said.

New recruits give police diverse look
Times-Colonist
22 Mar 2004

The big hole left by a recent round of retirements turned out to be a window of opportunity for the Victoria police department. It allowed the organization to step up efforts to ensure diversity is a priority in hiring.

The focus sits well with people dedicated to such topics, like Linda Sproule-Jones, director of equity issues for the University of Victoria's office of equity and human rights.

"It's important, particularly if we believe the police ought to reflect the community and include the different perspectives that make up our law-abiding citizenship.

"We've also actively gone to career fairs with different community groups and university groups to encourage applications from everybody within the community, so it's a diverse group we're getting applications from -- whether it's somebody from the aboriginal community or the gay and lesbian community or the Asian community or the Muslim community.

"We've been actively going to groups so that we can better reflect those communities."

One example is having a police booth at Victoria's annual Gay Pride Parade, Bond said.

People have no obligation to divulge information about their lifestyles, she added.

"If they choose not tell us, fair enough. If they want to tell us and they meet all the requirements that we're looking for then that's awesome because then they reflect their community well."

"Our hope is that the bottom line is we have a huge cross- section of experiences and diversity."

Twenty-three per cent of the Victoria force is female, well above the national average of 13 per cent.

"In 1992, there was 15 women, and in 2004, we've got 49."

The rise has nothing to with "affirmative action," Bond said. "The women that we've hired are absolutely just as capable as everybody else."

Police reach out to bolster diversity
Times-Colonist
11 Apr 2002

Back in the days when Victoria's cultural rainbow spanned every colour from Scottish to English, diversity wasn't a big buzzword in the city police department.

"When I started in 1974, I was the only visible minority on the force," says Sgt. Derek Chow. Oh, and there was a woman, too.

So it was notable on Wednesday when Chow and Saanich deputy chief Mike Chadwick announced the RCMP and five local municipal forces will form a regional diversity advisory committee. They'll be looking to include members "from the First Nations community, visible minority and ethnic groups, people of every sexual orientation, and academics in the field of diversity."

But since the mid-'70s, when the Mounties decided the force needed to better reflect the community, there's been a steady change. In 1970, less than one-third of one per cent of all Canadian police officers were female. That rose to 2.2 per cent in 1980, and to 12.9 per cent in 1999.

Chow, the lone ranger back in 1970, today belongs to a department whose 192 members include 14 members of visible minorities and 38 women. Saanich's makeup is of comparable proportion.

Massive police changes urged by judicial inquiry
Times-Colonist
16 Sep 1994

Justice Wallace Oppal called for more community-style policing and greater integration of police forces in the Capital Region in the report released Thursday, although he stopped short of recommending amalgamation.

He also urged more hiring of women and minorities, saying the province's overwhelmingly white, male police forces are out of touch with the communities they serve.

Oppal was quite concerned about the small number of women, visible minorities, natives and gays and lesbians hired for police work.

Women make up more than half of the population but only 10.5 per cent of the Victoria Police Department, 11.6 per cent of Saanich's and 11.5 per cent of the RCMP in the province, he noted.

Oppal's $4-million report covers everything from police dogs to chokeholds.

Daily Colonist
August 22, 1979

New police chief must be outsider

Ald. Blencoe wants to see a person hired with special skills "to meet the challenges of the difficult 1980s."

The new chief's major emphasis should be a return to a stronger sense of community, to break down large institutions into smaller units that people can understand and to whom they can related, he said.

"We need a chief who is sensitive to this developing attitude and committed to finding ways of bringing the department and the community it serves much closer."

Equality of opportunity was another obvious trend of the 1980s, he said, observing that historically women and minority groups had not been involved to any great degree in police work. The person chosen must be able to find ways of changing this situation.

Edited by aastra, 10 June 2020 - 06:01 PM.

• Rob Randall and sebberry like this

#335 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:52 PM

I understand this was meant as a joke, but I still want to make a point about it:

Back in the days when Victoria's cultural rainbow spanned every colour from Scottish to English, diversity wasn't a big buzzword in the city police department.

"When I started in 1974...

You know, because other European backgrounds were completely unrepresented in the 1970s. There was a rumour that some kid at Burnside School had a Hungarian surname, but it was never proven. And nobody had even heard of places like China or India.

I get it, it was an exaggeration for humourous effect, a play on a stereotype that was already dead stale by that time. But I'd suggest these sorts of bogus reflections and observations are also essential to the perpetuation of any crisis mindset. For example, every highrise in Victoria is the city's first highrise. There were no highrises way back then in the mid-1970s, or way back then in the early 2000s, etc. If you keep on shifting things forward in time then the controversies will remain fresh. Progress will never be made.

#336 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:33 PM

If people from today could travel back in time a hundred years, I don't know if they would be able to adjust to how wildly different things were back then. Can you imagine, debating speed limits and uniformity of speed limits? Or pondering how fast is too fast, or which speed was the safest?

Daily Colonist
January 24, 1911

Regulation of Motor-Vehicles

"We know that this is an age of rapid transit," said the Attorney General, "and a few years ago there would be no need for such a bill as this, but though transportation is so increasing in its rapidity, that is no reason why the old methods of transport, why pedestrians and drivers of horses and vehicles, should not be protected. The motor vehicle having arrived last, and being the fastest mode of transportation, we must see to it that the public are protected from injury by them in travelling along the highways."

The Minister continued that the first idea of his bill was that life and limb should be protected; and in addition there had been found much to justify the Government in establishing a uniform code of speed for the whole province. At present in different municipalities, different rates of speed were allowed, so that a chauffeur might travel in safety through one municipality at a certain limit of speed, but when he got into another municipality where the speed limit had been greatly reduced, he was apt to be penalized, although he might not even know when he crossed the dividing line.

Speed Limitations

"The question of speed is an important one," said the attorney general, "...ten miles an hour is a sufficient speed for motors in cities... In the open country we have confined the motors to 25 miles an hour. Some think we should make it more, but if we did they would probably want to go 35 miles an hour. You know the tendency there is to exceed the speed limit..."

Edited by aastra, 10 June 2020 - 06:50 PM.

#337 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:14 PM

In 1964, James K. Nesbitt reflects on a thorny issue from way back in 1907 that was still a thorny issue in his day:

Daily Colonist
March 22, 1964

As I flipped through the 1907 papers, I found another argument that is still going on, having intensified during the years. Without comment on my part, I'd like you to read it:

--

"The proposal of the Oak Bay municipality to collect a tax from certain vehicles using the roads in that district has much in its favor and also much against it. It seems absurd that a vehicle owned in Victoria must pay a licence fee before it can use the roads of Oak Bay that were made at the expense of the people of the province generally; and it also seems unreasonable that Victoria vehicles should wear out Oak Bay roads and contribute nothing to their maintenance.

In the course of not a very long while, Esquimalt will also be a municipality and possibly there will be a proposal to exact a licence fee from vehicles using the roads there. Saanich may think the same plan an easy way of raising a revenue.

The Oak Bay officials hint that if the existing bylaw is declared ultra vires they will erect toll gates. Then we suppose Esquimalt will do the same. Possibly Saanich will not, because there are too many roads that would have to be watched.

The way to solve the problem is to extend the limits of Victoria, so as to take in the suburbs.

We know this suggestion will be met with protests, and we will be told that Victoria made a mistake some years ago by extending its limits, and that it would be folly to do so again. But things have changed and we are still more rapidly changing.

The interests of the residents of Victoria, Oak Bay, and Esquimalt are so closely identified, and there are so many things such as the maintenance of roads and streets, sewerage, water supply, fire protection, schools and police which can be handled better under one organization than under three, that it is not too soon (aastra says: In 1907!) to begin to think a little about a Greater Victoria."

Edited by aastra, 10 June 2020 - 07:28 PM.

• todd likes this

#338 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:32 PM

Methinks the concerns about heavy traffic were a bit unjustified. It makes me wonder how much "congestion" there really was on Dallas Road back then:

Daily Colonist
September 6, 1967

Widening of Marine Could Be Offensive

Widening Marine Drive to four lanes would create an offensive speedway through Oak Bay, the Capital Region Planning Board said Tuesday night.

"A faster, four-lane highway would disturb many of the amenities which the recreational motorist and resident enjoy," says the report presented to municipal council.

While there may be congestion on Marine Drive now during Sundays and holidays, it lasts for only a few hours. A wider highway would attract more drivers.

The planners also suggest that, in both public and private developments, every effort be made to preserve trees and the natural landscape.

"When possible, electrical and telephone services should be underground and if overhead routes are unavoidable, a minimum of tree-pruning should be done," says the report.

#339 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:38 PM

^You are not taking into account the fact that cars were larger back then.

#340 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:46 PM

True, but they also didn't have to deal with Mike K.'s truck.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users