Photo

Why do some condo strata corporations allow for smaller dogs but not larger ones?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

No, a bylaw cannot be broken (or at least it shouldn't) but you can restrict an activity or a usage that a bylaw works to limit or control in some way. I.e., the bylaw does not give you the right to own a dog in your condo, but it restricts you to owning one of your strata bylaws permit you to own a dog(s).

Correct, rental restriction bylaws are a good example of this.

#82 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

I see. It's an interesting point. You would think that the City would amend this bylaw to meet the realities of the day, especially when single-family housing is essentially a non-starter in the city, whereas condos are becoming the new standard.

If you think the uproar was bad when the City enforced a bylaw on Cody the dog, can you imagine what it would be if they started to enforce this bylaw? I would have to guess that there are hundreds of apartment dwellers in the City that have two dogs in their home.

#83 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

While I support dogs in condos, (brings up property prices), there is an interesting wrinkle in the city of Victoria animal control bylaw which states:

(3) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (2) the occupier of each apartment in an apartment building under whatever form of land title, may keep one dog.

So is the necessary assumption then that while two or more dogs may not be a strata bylaw contravention it is a city bylaw contravention, which in turn would be a contravention of the standard strata bylaw that owners will not do anything in violation of municipal bylaws?

What if it is a condo in a condo building and not an apartment in an apartment building? Is there a legal difference?

• shoeflack likes this

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

I've always felt all condos are apartments, but not vice versa.

But you can get grey-areaish in condos with townhouse units.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

I think the "whatever form of land title" proviso would cover rental buildings, stratas and leaseholds.
  • Nparker likes this

#86 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, like the city is going to enforce bylaws. Oh, just a minute, those are the laws they put in place. They just might then.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#87 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, like the city is going to enforce bylaws. Oh, just a minute, those are the laws they put in place. They just might then.

Yeah it's only federal laws with which the city has trouble enforcing.

#88 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

Yeah it's only federal laws with which the city has trouble enforcing.

We all know what happened with Cody.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#89 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

We all know what happened with Cody.

:cop:  :whyme:  :mad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users