Distracted driving and other road safety issues

• Please log in to reply
710 replies to this topic

#1 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Talking on a cell phone is not dangerous. It is no more dangerous than reaching down the back of you pants to scratch your ass while driving  No more dangerous than changing radio station or adjusting rear view mirror.

These things all take PART of your concentration from the road but not all of it like texting.

I will never agree that talking on a phone is dangerous like the cops and the Government and their lobbiests claim

However I do know and agree that texting should be illegal and frowned upon

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

Talking on a cell phone is not dangerous. It is no more dangerous than reaching down the back of you pants to scratch your ass while driving  No more dangerous than changing radio station or adjusting rear view mirror.

You must have some pretty dull phone conversations for them to require so little thought that they're on par with scratching yourself.

I've been in cars where the driver is engaged in a conversation with someone via Bluetooth.  I make a point of looking out for variations in their driving behavior while on and off the phone, and the difference is clear to me. 

Ever notice how you turn the radio down when looking for an address in an unfamiliar area?

Ever notice how you mentally tune out of a talk-radio conversation while dealing with more complex driving tasks such as navigating through a turn in a large busy intersection?

• Mike K., LJ and lanforod like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

I bet it's not.

#4 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Distracted driving is much harder to prove (cannot breathalyze after all) but witness statements are useful, as are cell phone records (which they can pull if the accident has been serious enough. AFter all, if you send a text or email during the time you said you were driving and you are the only person in the car, ergo you must have been using that device.

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

I'm betting when a collision is the result of some form of distracted driving, it's documented as whatever the closest match in the MVA is.  ie: A crash resulting from fiddling with the radio and blowing a red light could very well be recorded as "failing to stop for a red light", as opposed to "desperately wanted to switch off the station playing Justin Bieber".

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#6 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Per the BC Gov Road User Safety Data - http://www.pssg.gov....s2008-2012.pdf - there are three codes that the RCMP, police or the coroner use for reporting distracted driving.  None of which is specific to 'using a phone or texting'.

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

I dont talk on the phone very often when driving.

Someon eshould look up stats for how many traffic deaths occured in past year where it was proven that the cause was that someone was talking into their phone.

Bet it will be hard to find one.

You don't need traffic deaths to prove the detrimental effects of talking on the phone whilst driving.

There was a study done in the states that I have posted before that clearly demonstrated that having a conversation on the phone whether handheld or not, was similarly detrimental as being legally impaired.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Ok thats fine if you believe that but now if that is a fact please explain this.......if it is the same or similar to being impaired ( you dont say inpaired in what manner) why then is it Ok for emergency personal are exempt from this law and allowed to use hand held phones and laptop computers whilst cruising down the road.

Are ambulance, fire truck  and other emergency drivers and cops superhuman where they are not the same as legally inpaired.

Good luck with this one I have asked cops on radio shows this same question and not once has anyone answered this question to anyones satisfaction by explaining how cops etc are superhuman when it comes to talking on phones while driving.

I also brought up the RCMP member in Surrey  who drove his cruiser through a red light at high speed into a tractor trailer  It was later proven and reported by the RCMP that the cop was using his in-car laptop. Funny thing is if it were a civilian or an old fart or a teenager that did this we would still be hearing stories about it but because it was a cop it just disappears off the radar and quickly.

Lets just say that doing anything while driving constitutes the operator as being legally impaired then.

Edited by History Buff, 09 February 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Ok thats fine if you believe that but now if that is a fact please explain this.......if it is the same or similar to being impaired ( you dont say inpaired in what manner) why then is it Ok for emergency personal are exempt from this law and allowed to use hand held phones and laptop computers whilst cruising down the road.

Are ambulance, fire truck  and other emergency drivers and cops superhuman where they are not the same as legally inpaired.

Good luck with this one I have asked cops on radio shows this same question and not once has anyone answered this question to anyones satisfaction by explaining how cops etc are superhuman when it comes to talking on phones while driving.

I also brought up the RCMP member in Surrey  who drove his cruiser through a red light at high speed into a tractor trailer  It was later proven and reported by the RCMP that the cop was using his in-car laptop. Funny thing is if it were a civilian or an old fart or a teenager that did this we would still be hearing stories about it but because it was a cop it just disappears off the radar and quickly.

Lets just say that doing anything while driving constitutes the operator as being legally impaired then.

Well I'm glad you now agree that using a cell phone is dangerous, as to why emergency services can use them I would suggest that their need is greater than the general publics need to communicate whilst in motion and they have more driver training than most of the public.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

This is a joke at first the suggestion is that talking on the phone while driving is akin to being legally impaired.

Having more driver training is great but driver training does not include intoxicating a soon to be cop or ambulance driver and ask them to drive around public streets.

Show me what course offers drivers skills on driving while talking on the phone. Id love to see where that course is offered.

Professional drivers have more time behind the wheel and have far greater driving skills than someone in a fire truck

I bet that if you took an emergency worker and a seasonbed transport truck driver and put them in some kind of driving rodeo the trucker or bus driver would rule.

I am still not and never will be conivnced that a human with a uniform on can drive better than one wearing a wife beater

Edited by History Buff, 10 February 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

Show me what course offers drivers skills on driving while talking on the phone. Id love to see where that course is offered.

I'm not sure what specific training officers undergo in order to manage a conversation on the phone or radio while driving, but the training does involve a timed road course (tight turns, braking, accelerating, etc... on a narrow course outlined by cones) while engaging in communications with dispatch over the radio. 

The course is challenging enough when you're not trying to remember the details of a call and speak to dispatch, I can't see how they'd be able to complete it, timed, on the phone/radio without some form of training. 

Here's the old course at Boundary Bay.  You think you can navigate this on your cell phone?

(turn down speakers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sLo-WiZLBo

#12 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

This is a joke at first the suggestion is that talking on the phone while driving is akin to being legally impaired.

So now a peer reviewed published scientific study is a "joke" because, you want it to be?

A good survey of the evidence may be found at

https://www.aaafound...ivingReport.pdf

Edited by eseedhouse, 10 February 2014 - 09:10 PM.

• Bingo likes this

#13 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yes because if Joe citizen is considered to be inpaired by talking on a cell phone then a cop is too

Why is it Ok for a cop to be impaired and a citizen not?

Talking on a cell phone is not dangerous in my opinion people have been doing it succesfully for years.

Texting on teh other hand IS dangerous because it requires one to remove their eyes from teh road and focus them on the phone.

Talking does not require to take your eyes of the road and look somewhere else.

I take you back once again to the twin cop that smashed himself to death by driving into a truck on the mainland,while looking at his computer in the car how did his specialized training help him??

that is never talked about. All hushed up about that because it proves my point that cops or fireman are not superhuman and can not be programmed to to be different than any other human while talking on a phone.

Id really like to see some definitive report or study that shows without a doubt some deaths or serious accidents attributed to talking on a phone.

Oh and the above picture with the cop obstacle course and talking on a two radio...talking on a two way radio is not an offense to anyone as long as the radio is attached ot the car and the mike is attached to the radio and it is not considered a hand held device.

#14 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Yes because if Joe citizen is considered to be inpaired by talking on a cell phone then a cop is too

Why is it Ok for a cop to be impaired and a citizen not?

Why is it OK for a cop to speed and not for you to?   Or an ambulance or fire truck?

Well, apparently you are not going to be swayed by actual evidence.  I am, alas, not surprised.

• Bingo likes this

#15 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

Show me the evidence you can post the evidence or the study here shopwing how many deaths are attributed to talk on a cell phone whel driving.

I have searched and I cant find anything that discusses or reports on deaths or serious accidents from talking on a phone. I found dozens that report accidents from texting or surfing tehe net while driving but I never disagreed with that point

It shouldnt really affect you personaly that I dont believe it.

I will let you think what you like without slamming you because you ,like me have a right to believe what you want and it doesnt always have to be what others tell you

I

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Are you suggesting that engaging in a phone conversation in no way takes thought and concentration away from driving? 

#17 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

I am suggesting that talking on a cell phone or a corded phone or a two way radio while driving is not dangerous and does not lead to severe accidents I do not believ that there is any definitive proof that talking on a phone is the same as being drunk I have found no statistics that show any deaths were caused becaus ea person was talking on a phone. Not saying it hasnt happened but its is not as prevelant as teh Governments of this country say it is. If it were so dangerous no one would be allowed to do it period

It is totally and completely different than surfing the web or texting. talking on a phone doesnt not require a person to take their eyes off the road like texting does.

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

So you don't think your reaction time is any different when you're driving while talking on the phone? 

What's your take on this study? http://news.sciencem...-bans-dont-work

• weirdie likes this

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

A new study suggests experienced drivers are not impacted when talking on a cellphone, but new drivers are. However, reaching for that phone and dialing a number are still dangerous no-no's (obviously).

http://globalnews.ca...-talking-study/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

Mythbusters took on Cell Phones vs Drunk Driving, and did their own empirical testing of driving while talking on a cell phone.

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users