Distracted driving and other road safety issues

• Please log in to reply
710 replies to this topic

#681 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:00 AM

do females not enjoy driving?

most liberal social scientists will tell us there is very little different between the sexes.

but this seems to defy most explanations if that is the case.

I'm male and I don't really like driving. I'm fine with it and will drive but if there's going to be a passenger either way I'll let them drive. I'm not really sure why though. Never really thought about it.

#682 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:48 AM

I’m the only one with a driver’s license so I’m always doing the driving. But yeah, it’s odd. Whenever friends come to visit, be it a couple or a group of people, the guys will be driving. That doesn’t mean they’ll be the ones driving back though! (that’s a booze reference).
  • Matt R. and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#683 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:30 PM

When we go on longer trips I always start the drive and then I'm tired my wife offers to drive. I let her but unfortunately when she drives I can't nap.

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#684 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

when we do a road trip i will fully admit hubby is usually the one who does the driving.. even though the vehicle that we tend to take is usually the one i mainly drive (he's listed as a secondary driver) to be honest i never thought too much about it and i'm not too phased letting him drive, he enjoys driving, he also has more knowledge of some of the roads we're on (for example when driving up and down BC to visit family) he also has better reflexes when it comes to reacting to whatever may happen (and yes we have seen deer and bears running across the highway) i'll even admit he's probably a better driver then i am (i'm a very cautious driver and would be less likely to pass on a highway or deal with lower mainland traffic)

• Mike K. likes this

#685 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:11 PM

Seems like in our house I drive my vehicle, she drives hers, and we switch if needed. I also won’t drive my van full of guides or scouts, so if that’s what’s needed she drives.

I’m also refusing to drive her new car until it gets it’s first scratch. No thanks, not gonna be my fault!

Matt.
  • Redd42 likes this

#686 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:13 PM

you need scouts and guides to figure out where you are going?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2020 - 05:13 PM.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#687 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

It’s clear he doesn’t need a car full of guides or scouts to know where he’s going.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#688 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:18 PM

When I die, I want to go out peacefully in my sleep like my old uncle Harry.  Not like his passengers.  

• rjag, Matt R., lanforod and 2 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#689 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:18 PM

It’s clear he doesn’t need a car full of guides or scouts to know where he’s going.

Nowhere, fast.

Matt.

#690 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

plus someone hates the planet. with so many cars.
  • Matt R. likes this

#691 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:32 PM

Both the wife and I like to drive, so it's usually a frantic race to see who can get into the drivers seat first.  Part of the fun is the confused looks we get from other shoppers when leaving Costco.

Made sure my oldest learned how to drive a standard transmission.  If he goes to Europe and rents a car, it will most likely be a standard so at least he won't be stuck.

• rjag likes this

#692 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:07 PM

plus someone hates the planet. with so many cars.

It’s covid time. Environmental concerns are out the window.

Had someone get an order of fries to go yesterday, didn’t want the plastic container of ketchup so asked instead for a bit of ketchup in the bottom of a paper coffee cup. Sigh.

Matt.
  • lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#693 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:44 PM

It’s covid time. Environmental concerns are out the window.

Had someone get an order of fries to go yesterday, didn’t want the plastic container of ketchup so asked instead for a bit of ketchup in the bottom of a paper coffee cup. Sigh.

Matt.

you tell em which fossil fuels you burn to heat the french fries up, right? ;)

#694 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:54 PM

I spent this lovely sunny Monday (day off for me) driving around neighbourhoods on the Saanich peninsula. Scoping out what little real estate is for sale. 

Was a fabulous time. I don't understand people who not only don't have licenses or don't drive.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#695 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:00 AM

I let my hubby drive since I'm the one who can nap in a moving vehicle, at least one of us has to be functional at the end of the trip. It's my car, but it's sure nice to get that chauffeured experience occasionally.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

~ Jasmine ~

#696 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM

you tell em which fossil fuels you burn to heat the french fries up, right? ;)

Good old propane and propane accessories! Also the cup is lined with plastic and cost me 100x more. Good old facepalm time. Lots of that going on lately.

Matt.
  • lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#697 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:47 AM

Three crashes for the price of one!

Drivers, keep your eyes on the road ahead! Police car damaged as driver strikes it while looking at another crash
Sidney

2020-07-10 08:06 PDT

File # 2020-3355

The Sidney / North Saanich RCMP are reminding drivers to keep their eyes on the road ahead of them, even if car in a ditch seems interesting.

When the Sidney / North Saanich RCMP were called to a single vehicle collision in the southbound portion of the Patricia Bay Highway on the morning of July 7th, what happened next highlights the dangers of distracted driving.

An officer on the scene turned on his emergency red and blue lights, and his directional orange arrows to alert drivers of the scene. This officer also used his police vehicle to block a portion of the highway in order to make an area safe for all emergency responders to work. Traffic was proceeding around the police vehicle without incident. The flashing emergency lights, and a large silver police SUV parked in the road was obviously not enough of a deterrent for a driver who wanted to see what the police officers and emergency crews were doing.

The driver of the black SUV did not follow the flow of traffic and collided with the stationary police vehicle causing a significant amount of damage to both vehicles. The driver was later transported from the scene by emergency personnel for medical treatment. Fortunately the police vehicle was unoccupied and no other persons on scene were injured.

After this second collision occurred traffic backed up significantly in both directions on the Patricia Bay Highway, and the scene must have become even more interesting for those passing in the northbound lane as another crash occurred when a driver collided with another vehicle that had slowed down to see all of the commotion. This collision was minor and both vehicles were driveable and left the scene after exchanging information.

These collisions shows how dangerous collision scenes are to first responders, not only from the smoke, debris, fluids and car parts, but other drivers on the road too Corporal Chris Manseau, BC RCMP Media Relation Officer Fortunately these after collisions did not hurt any first responders on the scene

Know it all.

#698 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

Am I wrong to be upset at the almost constant presence of 3-4 police officers at the Junction of Bay st and Tyee rd? Let's look at the math for a moment, must be costing in the region of $1000 an hour for them to be there, probably much more.

All because the odd inconsiderate driver hangs a left at the end of the bridge. I have lived in the area for many years and have yet to see an accident. Maybe I am just jealous to see them hanging out doing absolutely nothing. For the most part VicPD have a tough time of it in this town and I have great respect for them..

I just have a problem with this kind of policing. Targeting motorist like this is disgusting and I think the current road layout encourages motorist to make this cut, why not change the layout instead of using folk as cash cows??

TFord

#699 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

Was it VicPD or IRSU? IRSU is independent of the forces within which they operate.

The bridge zone is such that vehicles turning left illegally onto Tyee tie up traffic, and at worst cause fender benders on the bridge or at the intersection. And there have been collisions there even in the recent past. There’s also the issue of drivers waiting for a gap in busy traffic while not paying attention to pedestrians crossing in the crosswalk.

Know it all.

#700 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:15 PM

Aren't those scenarios applicable to most left turns?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users