Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2781 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

We don't have suburban sprawl, though.

Yes, we do. We've had it for years. Suburban sprawl is large areas of single-family zoning with few commercial or multi-family areas. That is much of south Oak Bay, Gordon Head,Tanner Ridge - we've been sprawling for years (ever since the streetcar). Oak Bay is a streetcar suburb.

#2782 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

Bottom line is no one likes riding the bus. Well I guess the inevitable crazy man who acts all weird and smells bad probably does but everyone else hates it. For that reason I say let's build infrastructure people actually WANT which is highways and roads. This new buzz phrase "induced demand" means building something people want. Why is urban planning about building things people hate? What a complete waste of a life. I'd neck myself if I was an urban planner at this stage.

I kinda like riding the bus (and I do have good hygiene). For my daily commute it's good anyways. When I need to move anything that won't fit into a grocery-sized bag or small backpack, or take the dog anywhere, the car comes out.

#2783 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

Bridge idea is extravagance and requires way too much approval; Feds, Province, First Nations, Colwood, View Royal, Esquimalt, The Navy, CRD (probably more). The better plan would be to add lanes to Old Island as previously mentioned. Plus, if that alignment were to be used, it should be a tunnel to a 4 lane Admirals/Craigflower. Realistically, at this time, the major issue is the Craigflower Admirals intersection, especially when heading northbound where two lanes merge into a single lane (for no logical reason whatsoever). It seems as if the intersections have been future proofed for road expansion, but the likely hood is View Royal doesnt want to pay for it because it doesnt benefit them or their residents. 

Once again, the lack of a cohesive city strikes again. (that also means that there is no urban sprawl because the sprawl is just a different city).

#2784 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

...Once again, the lack of a cohesive city strikes again. (that also means that there is no urban sprawl because the sprawl is just a different city).

:thumbsup:

#2785 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

We could build this 2B dollar bridge and fund it by a per capita fee to all westshore residents. It’s only 20K a head or so. Start sending in the cheques eceryone.
  • Jared and nerka like this

#2786 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

What do you think about this as a solution to the traffic woes between the core and the West Shore?

Effectively this would divert West Shore-bound traffic via Esquimalt Road, then onto Admirals Road which would connect with the bridge. On the West Shore side the bridge would connect with Old Island Highway/Wale Road/Ocean Boulevard.

Cheaper to get the E&N right of way functioning.

#2787 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

We could build this 2B dollar bridge and fund it by a per capita fee to all westshore residents. It’s only 20K a head or so. Start sending in the cheques eceryone.

Nah, I would fund this and other massive car infrastructure by selling huge tracts of crown land up island and opening them up for suburban development. Cheap land, cheap homes, lower prices for everyone, Build baby build

#2788 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:10 PM

The most logical solution is to just open up the Peninsula to developers. Do we really need this much ALR on the Peninsula when they're mostly just growing daffodils and pumpkins on it?

• LocalMom likes this

#2789 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

The most logical solution is to just open up the Peninsula to developers. Do we really need this much ALR on the Peninsula when they're mostly just growing daffodils and pumpkins on it?

There was another VV thread specifically about the ALR, but briefly (and only by way of explanation of what the ALR is all about in terms of where it came from, not me defending it please).

It's irrelevant what's grown on ALR land (which is why the legislation allows golf courses on ALR properties), because the ALR is about preserving fertile agricultural land with high quality soil for the future ... based on the underlying presumption there might one day be a need for long term, self sufficient food security in British Columbia.

So daffodils and pumpkins in 2017, but perhaps the food that everybody on the peninsula will be eating to survive after "the end times" (or something like that).

Besides, if they developed the peninsula as they have the Westshore, traffic would be backed up on the Pat Bay Highway rather than the Island Highway.

The bottom line is development can't continue as it has been without massive improvements in regional transportation.

(As well, I kind of like the peninsula as it is now, but over on the Westshore I say "fill'er'up"!)

• Mike K. likes this

#2790 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:32 AM

As well, I kind of like the peninsula as it is now, but over on the Westshore I say "fill'er'up"!)

The airport land was all farms at one time, but over the years farmland has disappeared because it was easy to develop.

We need to keep farmland intact as much as possible, although some land is not used to it's best ability.

Westshore is mostly rock and gravel so yes fill'er up!"  :farmer:

#2791 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:43 AM

But then you have thousands of acres of flat plain, basically south of downtown Langford all the way to the hills of Merchosin. The undeveloped portions of Sooke are also farmland with massive tracts of land within the municipal border.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2792 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

We need to keep farmland intact as much as possible, although some land is not used to it's best ability.

Why do we need farmland?  We import our food.  Growing it ourselves is too expensive.  We import food, that's a good idea.  We also import all our petroleum, and nearly all our electricity.  We import our electronics and technology hardware, we import all our medical supplies.  We also import all our industrial equipment and our transportation hardware.  About the only thing we do not import is water, but that falls from the sky in abundance around here, it's easy to gather.

Why do we want to get all hung up on importing vs. growing our food?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 November 2017 - 08:10 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2793 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

^clearly we need a massive petroleum and electronics stockpile. I say build it in saanich

#2794 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

^clearly we need a massive petroleum and electronics stockpile. I say build it in saanich

Well, not just a stockpile.  We need to do our own petroleum extraction.  #fracksaanich  

• RFS likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2795 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

What do you think about this as a solution to the traffic woes between the core and the West Shore?

Effectively this would divert West Shore-bound traffic via Esquimalt Road, then onto Admirals Road which would connect with the bridge. On the West Shore side the bridge would connect with Old Island Highway/Wale Road/Ocean Boulevard.

Esquimalt-Harbour-Bridge.jpg

Hey, your idea is catching on, some "web designer and blogger" had the exact same idea and pitched it on the 6 PM CTV evening news last night.  Nice hat btw.    :wave:

http://vancouverisla...a/video#1270587

Edited by Gary H, 25 November 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#2796 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

I’m neither of those things, lol! Fake news!!

Oh, and tune in to CFAX at noon on Monday for a chat about the bridge with Joe Perkins.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2797 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

I tried to view that video, and somebody needs to tell the CTV web design functionaries that Adobe Flash is dead as a doornail in 2017.

Even Adobe itself is going to bail completely on Flash support and development in a couple of years (2020 I believe).

It's actually hard to believe any company of any repute is still using Flash on their website.

• LocalMom and qwerty like this

#2798 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

You can still watch it using IE 11.

#2799 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:33 PM

I just got a new Mac laptop Gary, which doesn't come with Flash, or IE installed.

Flash is a security disaster waiting to happen, and the last time I tried IE on a Mac it basically froze every 3rd or 4th web page. I don't even think they develop IE for Macs any more, do they?

I think though, with Adobe bailing completely on Flash themselves in a couple of years ... it's time to put Flash in its grave (CTV, you listening?), and move to HTML 5 like everybody else.

#2800 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:24 PM

I just got a new Mac laptop Gary, which doesn't come with Flash, or IE installed.

Flash is a security disaster waiting to happen, and the last time I tried IE on a Mac it basically froze every 3rd or 4th web page. I don't even think they develop IE for Macs any more, do they?

I think though, with Adobe bailing completely on Flash themselves in a couple of years ... it's time to put Flash in its grave (CTV, you listening?), and move to HTML 5 like everybody else.

IE on Mac? Man, that's old. Not since 2005 or so, unless you run it in Wine. You can still run Flash sites via Chrome, just add the site to allow Flash in Chrome settings.

Flash is EOL in 2020, don't worry, just be patient...

Edited by lanforod, 26 November 2017 - 10:24 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users