Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2841 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

Put speed bumps on Ash approaching the intersection.

Put in a traffic light, and clear all the vegetation back to improve the sight lines.

Some of this work could be done today.

Some type of speed bump was my thought as well.  Something more in addition to the flashing yellow and the crosswalk marking to encourage a distracted driver to become fully aware, as well as calming the traffic speed through this tricky intersection, is a good thing.

#2842 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

It's simply not a tricky intersection.  It's plain.  Almost nobody lives north of it, save for the Barrie residents, so traffic is pretty light at it really.

What does stand out is the incredibly well-marked crosswalk, and the flashing light, almost nothing like it in all of Gordon Head.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-12-23-11-39-00-991.png

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-12-23-11-37-27-915.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 December 2017 - 11:44 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2843 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

Anywhere two streets come together is a legal crossing. The problem when you turn them into circus attractions with flashing lights and speedbumps and giant lit signs is that I believe it makes drivers less attentive at other unmarked crossings that don't have all the bells and whistles.

Whenever I see a person on a street corner I take my foot off the gas, especially if there's a crosswalk there. I always assume that person is going to cross. It could be that the little girl is at fault for dashing out in front of traffic, but even so, I wouldn't want that girl's horrific injury on my conscience for the rest of my life just because I was rushing through a residential street.

#2844 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Indeed, and there is also the issue of emboldening pedestrians when you make the intersection a circus, the pedestrian assumes that of course you are very aware of this intersection, and they walk out without making sure all cars are paying attention.

Tremblay/Ash probably gets a fair amount of pedestrians too.

Saanich News also says this:

Eleven-year-old Leila Bui is in Grade 6 at Arbutus middle school and was hit by Mercedes sports utility vehicle travelling eastbound on Ash Road, while crossing Torquay Drive near the crosswalk. Saanich Police believe she was then struck by a late-model sedan travelling westbound on Ash Road. Both cars remained on the scene.

The girl was hit coming out of her own driveway, in front of her house. It’s unknown if she was on the crosswalk or near it.

The girl’s grandfather, Andy Bui, said she was crossing the street to be picked up on the other side of Ash Road for a ride to school when she was struck.

https://www.saanichn...ian-in-saanich/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 December 2017 - 12:10 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2845 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

^Yes, remember when Councillor Phillipe Lucas advocated a crosswalk around 900 Pandora for the junkies to get from Our Place to the methadone pharmacy? That very fast section just after it crests a hill? That idea was shot down quickly.

#2846 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

^Yes, remember when Councillor Phillipe Lucas advocated a crosswalk around 900 Pandora for the junkies to get from Our Place to the methadone pharmacy? That very fast section just after it crests a hill? That idea was shot down quickly.

Uhh, wrong block. 900 most definitiely does have a mid-block crossing. It was added as part of the protected bike lane.

You might be thinking up the top of the hill near the Christian Science church, which also has a crosswalk with lights.

As for the "blinky lights make it less safe elsewhere", I haven't seen any evidence that is true. What I do know that is most  people walking who get hit are in marked crosswalks and have the right of way.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2847 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

As for the "blinky lights make it less safe elsewhere", I haven't seen any evidence that is true. What I do know that is most  people walking who get hit are in marked crosswalks and have the right of way.

I'm not sure if it's most, but yes, many do.  But what are they doing in that crosswalk when they are unsure traffic is seeing them and intending to stop?  That's my issue with these hit people.

#2848 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

Uhh, wrong block. 900 most definitiely does have a mid-block crossing. It was added as part of the protected bike lane.

You might be thinking up the top of the hill near the Christian Science church, which also has a crosswalk with lights.

As for the "blinky lights make it less safe elsewhere", I haven't seen any evidence that is true. What I do know that is most people walking who get hit are in marked crosswalks and have the right of way.

Luton’s idea was shot down as council agreed that would be a death trap.

Fast forwarding to 2016 they decided it would be a great idea, most likely because not adding it with a narrowed road design would have yielded collisions and the possibility of negligence on the City’s part.

Last night at about 11 I was crossing mid-way on Fisgard in the 700-block. The area has two crosswalks on either side of the Hudson carriageway. One car blew past, a second blew past and finally when the third showed no signs of slowing I stuck my hand out and walked close to the middle (the vehicle was in the far lane) and forced the driver (in this case a young woman) to stop. For Christ sake, some people are jerks. Now I’m not the guy who dolts out as soon as arriving at a cross walk and I give drivers lots of slack. But sometimes you just have to shake your head at some drivers pretending not to see you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2849 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

Oh, sure, it has one now that it's down to a two lane street. Totally different dynamic today. Much safer location for a crosswalk.

#2850 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

Not sure if this is the right thread, but for those travelling tomorrow, snow is supposed to start in the early afternoon.  Might want to leave early to make it over the Malihat if going that way to see family.  Snow is supposed to end by midnight so that might impact return trips....

#2851 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:33 PM

Not sure if this is the right thread, but for those travelling tomorrow, snow is supposed to start in the early afternoon. 

Might want to leave early to make it over the Malihat if going that way to see family. 

Snow is supposed to end by midnight so that might impact return trips....

You made mention of the Malihat, so this is the right thread.

Everyone reads every thread when they log on so you could also put it in the plastic bag band thread for a fuller coverage.

• Matt R. and On the Level like this

#2852 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

Plastic bag ban 

Great name for a band.  Merry Christmas! (wrong thread?)

#2853 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:46 PM

Great name for a band.  Merry Christmas! (wrong thread?)

See what I mean...same to you.

• Matt R. likes this

#2854 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

Malahat and the Bag Bans are playing here in March.  Ticket go on sale Jan 4th.  PM me for the pre-sale code.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 December 2017 - 12:02 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#2855 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

Malahat and the Bag Bans are playing here in March.  Ticket go on sale Jan 4th.  PM me for the pre-sale code.

Try driving over the Malahat in a van full of banned bags full of beans after a Bean Band Concert. 

#2856 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:12 PM

Someone took out the signal control box at the intersection of Landsdowne and Foul Bay earlier tonight, its now a 4 way stop

#2857 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:07 AM

There's been a construction sign for a while over there now, I never got a chance to look at it and see what it said though. With how that intersection gets just before 8 and then for about an hour I sure hope they aren't planning on removing the lights from there.

#2858 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

There's been a construction sign for a while over there now, I never got a chance to look at it and see what it said though. With how that intersection gets just before 8 and then for about an hour I sure hope they aren't planning on removing the lights from there.

No thats a warning that Landsdowne to Henderson will be closed for sewer main work for 2 months in January

#2859 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

No thats a warning that Landsdowne to Henderson will be closed for sewer main work for 2 months in January

oh, I never really got a chance to look at it just that it said "construction notice". Is this a temp thing as that intersection is far too busy to not have lights.

#2860 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:17 PM

Yup, someone spun out and took out the switching box, so its a controlled 4-way until they fix that I guess. imagine if it was when school was in session, it would be nuts up there...all those bikes having to go through 1 at a time learning to alternate....

Edited by rjag, 25 December 2017 - 01:17 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users