3741 replies to this topic

#2961 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

By breaking the law I am referring to the following sections:

• the 1.5 blocks from City Hall to the Janion
  • Harbour road
  • 5 road crossings, 4 in Saanich, 1 in CoV.  

The rest was totally legal as there is no helmet requirement on the Goose, and I got off the Goose on school property and left the bike on school property.

• lanforod likes this

#2962 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:45 AM

Its been more than 6 months since the sidewalk at the corner of Johnson and Cook collapsed. The road is reduced to 1 lane and nothing is being done. I spoke with Chris Coleman about it and he said that they are in discussions with the developer to effect a repair. Obviously the collapse was due to the excavation taking place which means insurance and finger pointing etc.

The pity here is that the road needs fixed, its an arterial and it is causing unnecessary congestion. 

#2963 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:49 AM

Aren’t they waiting for the perimeter wall to be in place high enough to fill the gap? Otherwise they’d have to do the work twice.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2964 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

Aren’t they waiting for the perimeter wall to be in place high enough to fill the gap? Otherwise they’d have to do the work twice.

I'm sure its this plus the insurance finger pointing. This happened in December and it looks like it will be some time yet. Seems strange that a priority route can be limited like this for an extended period, but then again its Victoria.

#2965 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

The developer has stated that the insurance situation was settled? I dunno, but it is odd the insurance company and the City haven’t figured out an interim measure.

What surprises me is that they’ve left the parking intact in the south side instead of allowing that span of road to be used as two lanes. It wouldn’t have to go far up Johnson like that, maybe 100 meters?
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2966 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:49 AM

What surprises me is that they’ve left the parking intact in the south side instead of allowing that span of road to be used as two lanes. It wouldn’t have to go far up Johnson like that, maybe 100 meters?

This. They should have created a temporary bus stop further east on Johnson, shifted the bike lane to along the sidewalk, and voila, two full lanes of traffic once again. Based on how long its been like this, they could have even re-painted the lanes to make it crystal clear. The city would have lost all of four 2hr parking spaces had they done this.

Absolutely unacceptable that a major artery like this hasn't had a solution yet.

• Nparker likes this

#2967 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:56 AM

And there was no Worksafe BC report done on that collapse, even though an investigation was done after an almost identical collapse at The Falls several years ago discovered negligence at several points. Very suspicious.

#2968 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

Do we know for a fact WorkSafe was not/is not involved? They typically only get involved if there are injuries or "close calls," no?

Know it all.

#2969 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:17 AM

There wasn't when I called them a few months ago, Worksafe had no idea what I was talking about.

The Falls collapse happened September 12, 2007 and the report was released January 12, 2009.

#2970 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

Then I would assume their involvement wasn't required. They typically get involved when there are injuries or preventable accidents. A pipe bursting is not a preventable accident, so maybe it wasn't on their radar since nobody got hurt and nobody was really in the vicinity of the wall? I dunno.

Know it all.

#2971 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:32 AM

Whether someone is injured is irrelevant to a Worksafe investigation. Their report archive has a whole section named "Close Calls".

The water main is also irrelevant. At The Falls, the focus was on the fact that the wall was inadequately shored and workers didn't immediately report danger signs and that Ryzuk failed to do adequate inspections.

How do we know those things didn't happen at The Wade without a thorough investigation?

• rjag likes this

#2972 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

Absolutely unacceptable that a major artery like this hasn't had a solution yet.

Well cars are evil after all... maybe this is the green solution? No roads means no cars.  :P

#2973 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:03 PM

Well cars are evil after all... maybe this is the green solution? 

This probably isn't as far-fetched as it seems. Is it beyond believable that the CoV is dragging their heels on this in order to "encourage" drivers to explore alternate means of transportation?

• On the Level likes this

#2974 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:47 PM

Its been more than 6 months since the sidewalk at the corner of Johnson and Cook collapsed. The road is reduced to 1 lane and nothing is being done. I spoke with Chris Coleman about it and he said that they are in discussions with the developer to effect a repair. Obviously the collapse was due to the excavation taking place which means insurance and finger pointing etc.

The pity here is that the road needs fixed, its an arterial and it is causing unnecessary congestion. 

If a dedicated bike lane had fallen into the hole it would have been fixed months ago.

#2975 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

The city recently repainted several of the lane markings.  Anyone know if they're using the MoTI's fancy new paint? 

I can't say I was all that thrilled with them in last night's rain. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2976 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:20 PM

Whether someone is injured is irrelevant to a Worksafe investigation. Their report archive has a whole section named "Close Calls".

The water main is also irrelevant. At The Falls, the focus was on the fact that the wall was inadequately shored and workers didn't immediately report danger signs and that Ryzuk failed to do adequate inspections.

How do we know those things didn't happen at The Wade without a thorough investigation?

Oh yeah, beats me.

Know it all.

#2977 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:22 PM

Drove up and down the Malahat today. Three police vehicles placed at various locations, and tons and tons of heavy equipment.

What there wasn't was any workers, all that machinery standing idle,

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2978 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

I saw a sign on West Saanich by Royal Oak mall promoting a road upgrade. Unfortunately it was too quick and a little too far from the road to see clearly so I'm not sure exactly what they're doing but maybe they're finally fixing the WS/Quadra/Glanford intersection?

Also not really sure which topic this would go in but if anyone's looking for gas the Esso on Carey/Blanshard just by Uptown is 138.4 which is the cheapest I've seen it in a while. There was no one there when the bus went by.

#2979 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:44 AM

See also:

- Vehicle ownership rising at nearly twice the rate of Vancouver Island's population growth: ICBC

Despite rising congestion and gridlock, fewer cars are entering downtown Victoria: CRD

Rate-of-vehicle-ownership-in-Victoria-higher-than-in-decades-past--CRD-travel-survey.jpg

The number of vehicles on the south Island for every 100 residents has risen to 70.3 from 68.9 just six years ago, according to data compiled by the Capital Regional District as part of the latest travel survey. And more households than ever before now own at least one vehicle for every resident.

Rate of vehicle ownership in Victoria higher than in decades past: CRD travel survey

The rate of vehicle ownership in the Capital Region has increased to its highest level since 2001 and is eclipsing population growth, according to the results of the Capital Regional District’s (CRD) 2017 Household Travel Survey.

The volume of vehicles compared to residents on the south Island rose from 68.9 vehicles for every 100 residents 70.3 in 2017, an increase of 22,500 units (or 9.7%). Over the same period population growth was 7.49%.

According to Malatest Market Research, which conducted the survey on behalf of the CRD, 255,300 vehicles are now situated on the south Island while the population (calculated for the purposes of the survey) totals 363,300.

The survey’s findings show just over half (50.1%) of local households now have at least one vehicle for every resident, a jump from 47.4% only six years prior. [Full article]

Know it all.

#2980 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

Also not really sure which topic this would go in but if anyone's looking for gas the Esso on Carey/Blanshard just by Uptown is 138.4 which is the cheapest I've seen it in a while. There was no one there when the bus went by.

The 7/11 on Burnside has been instigating a bit of a price war lately. They were 139.9 on Sunday, and then when Esso dropped they came down to 138.4 yesterday.

That particular Esso followed suit.

No one else seems to be playing ball.

Edited by vortoozo, 26 June 2018 - 12:34 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users