Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2981 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:37 PM

I saw a sign on West Saanich by Royal Oak mall promoting a road upgrade. Unfortunately it was too quick and a little too far from the road to see clearly so I'm not sure exactly what they're doing but maybe they're finally fixing the WS/Quadra/Glanford intersection?

Improvements stop just before the intersection. Bike lanes, new lighting, trees, bus stop improvements... here's the drawing: http://www.saanich.c...splay Board.pdf

All of Saanich's current transportation projects are listed here: http://www.saanich.c...ects.html#trans

#2982 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

Improvements stop just before the intersection. Bike lanes, new lighting, trees, bus stop improvements... here's the drawing: http://www.saanich.c...splay Board.pdf

All of Saanich's current transportation projects are listed here: http://www.saanich.c...ects.html#trans

well drat. At least they are improving the road and not doing something stupid like getting rid of the turn lanes for flower pots or something

#2983 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

Wasn't that intersection just redone? 

May 2014

Capture.PNG

August 2017

Capture2.PNG

#2984 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

I will be amused/bemused if the next photo in the series is a repeat of 2014, only with flowers in the concrete.

#2985 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

It was.  What is the needed fixing proposed for the current incarnation of the intersection?

#2986 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:16 PM

Any chance Saanich will eventually work on the section of Glanford approaching Vanalman and beyond? It still looks like covered wagons should be trekking along this area.

#2987 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

Any chance Saanich will eventually work on the section of Glanford approaching Vanalman and beyond? It still looks like covered wagons should be trekking along this area.

Sannich's current transportation projects show protected covered wagon lanes in design phase for that section.

(Not really)

#2988 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:24 PM

Yes, the OCP and Carey LAP show Glanford as having on-street commuter bikeways on the entire length. Not sure when they'll be built, though.

#2989 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

I would like to say that the Tillicum Rd Paving and Transportation Improvements project is quite nice.

The project will provide 900 meters of new cycling facilities, 500 meters of improved pedestrian walkways, a new pedestrian and cyclist activated traffic signal at Regina Ave, and nine new wheel chair drops while maintaining the four travel lanes along Tillicum Rd between the Trans-Canada Highway and Burnside Rd.

There you go.  Nice new bike lanes and sidewalks and no drivers were grievously robbed of their travel lanes.  I was coming down that stretch (twice!) last week and it's so much nicer for all involved.  There was a car that peeked out from the right (blocking the bike lane) but scootched back when they saw me coming.  Thanks!

• Jackerbie likes this

#2990 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

I would like to say that the Tillicum Rd Paving and Transportation Improvements project is quite nice.

There you go.  Nice new bike lanes and sidewalks and no drivers were grievously robbed of their travel lanes.  I was coming down that stretch (twice!) last week and it's so much nicer for all involved.  There was a car that peeked out from the right (blocking the bike lane) but scootched back when they saw me coming.  Thanks!

And I disagree. While far nicer than what was there before, the confusion of different types of bike lane and the routing through the parking lot is not good design. Plus Saanich's unwilllingness to road diet Tillicum means that bike lanes will never be extended south beyond Arena, which is where they are badly needed

#2991 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:54 PM

It was. What is the needed fixing proposed for the current incarnation of the intersection?

I rarely drive (never mind up there) but from what I hear turning left from Quadra to Glanford is terrible and was made even worse when traffic turning right off WS no longer has yield. There's also quite a few minor crashes there, far more than I would expect of that level of traffic. (or I just get lucky/unlucky with timing)

#2992 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

I rarely drive (never mind up there) but from what I hear turning left from Quadra to Glanford is terrible and was made even worse when traffic turning right off WS no longer has yield. There's also quite a few minor crashes there, far more than I would expect of that level of traffic. (or I just get lucky/unlucky with timing)

I lived on Quadra just up the road, and the new configuration has been animprovement in my mind. That slip lane with the yield was a mess. Glandford had a wide pavement but no lane markers, so people would attempt to make it two lanes instead of one. You'd also sometimes get stuck behind someone turning left from Quadra who didn't realize that the slip lane had a yield sign.

There is an advance left, which was there before the improvements. If the left turn has people mad, then maybe Saanich needs to make the advance turn light longer.

#2993 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

...Saanich's unwillingness to road diet Tillicum...

Joseph Goebbels would be proud.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#2994 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

Joseph Goebbels would be proud.

A Godwin's Law near miss. I can hear it whoshing over my head.

#2995 DFossum

DFossum
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

It's hard for Emil to get all three of his nephews working at once I suppose?

In all seriousness it is very frustrating to drive through the construction zone twice a day and rarely ever see any actual work happening or progress made. I understand that developers need to make a profit but this has been a bit ridiculous.

#2996 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

And I disagree. While far nicer than what was there before, the confusion of different types of bike lane and the routing through the parking lot is not good design. Plus Saanich's unwilllingness to road diet Tillicum means that bike lanes will never be extended south beyond Arena, which is where they are badly needed

Yes, I realize I am only talking about TCH to Burnside.  I haven't been up the other way from Burnside to TCH, which is what I suppose you are talking about with the parking lot routing?

I found myself riding from TCH to Gorge Rd again this evening, and I agree that I don't see how you can get bike lanes beyond Arena without - how would Nparker prefer it... - raping and pillaging the outside travel lanes in a wanton massacre.

#2997 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:17 PM

Most of our roads are a variation of goat or wagon trails.  Just no horses pulling those wagons anymore. 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2998 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:35 PM

...I don't see how you can get bike lanes beyond Arena without - how would Nparker prefer it... - raping and pillaging the outside travel lanes in a wanton massacre.

Your hyperbole betrays your weak argument.

• Coreyburger likes this

#2999 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:58 AM

I saw a sign on West Saanich by Royal Oak mall promoting a road upgrade. Unfortunately it was too quick and a little too far from the road to see clearly so I'm not sure exactly what they're doing but maybe they're finally fixing the WS/Quadra/Glanford intersection?

Also not really sure which topic this would go in but if anyone's looking for gas the Esso on Carey/Blanshard just by Uptown is 138.4 which is the cheapest I've seen it in a while. There was no one there when the bus went by.

Adding bike lanes and repaving mostly. This was mentioned earlier. I don't think the intersection is changing much.

#3000 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:35 AM

Your hyperbole betrays your weak argument.

Which argument?  That there is no room for bike lanes on Tillcum between Arena and Gorge, or that you would prefer the characterization of the removal of the outside lanes be more brutal than "road diet"?

If it's the first one I'd be glad that it's weak.  If it's the second one, sarcastic arguments aren't mean to hold up. ;)

Edited by DustMagnet, 27 June 2018 - 07:40 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)