Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#3061 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:57 PM

Well designed streets should be self-regulating. Throwing a 40 km/h sign on a four lane road with no street parking is not going to change driver behaviour (I'm looking at you, Quadra). Neighbourhood streets are generally more narrow, have travel lanes further restricted by street parking, and often have mature trees giving a sense of enclosure. You can't help but drive more slowly.

Bottom line, people will drive at whatever speed feels comfortable and/or safe.

Also the folks that will drive faster on residential side streets are most often the folks that live there as they are more familiar/comfortable with the area....but that being said I dont really know of an epidemic of 'speeders' except in the minds of the social engineer nannies

• sebberry likes this

#3062 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

I remember when the public hearing on the last round of speed limit lowering went on, Chris Coleman mentioned that he had heard from residents of one neighbourhood where lower speed limits were trialed that it was the residents themselves who found themselves getting detained and charged by the local constabulary for driving too fast on their own roads. 

Go figure. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3063 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:19 PM

to me it almost feels like lip service "here lets make a law so that people have to do something that they are already doing to get votes"

that's exactly what it is

#3064 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:03 AM

Helps is very much about children in this election. First she promised bus passes for kids, now she is pushing for lower speed limits in the name of kids, and there’s a photo of her with a baby prominently displayed on her website. Her push for family-sized garden suites is also a move relating to children and family.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3065 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:05 AM

Helps is very much about children in this election. First she promised bus passes for kids, now she is pushing for lower speed limits in the name of kids, and there’s a photo of her with a baby prominently displayed on her website. Her push for family-sized garden suites is also a move relating to children and family.

Well I hope that families remember her push to put in low barrier housing beside schools, pot shops, children in tent cities etc.

• Nparker likes this

#3066 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:23 AM

Apparently Burnside at Douglas will be closed on Friday from 9-3 for paving. BC Transit posted a detour for the 21 and 22 using Finlayson instead of going directly to Burnside for both directions so that's what I assume https://bctransit.co...d=1403650991855

#3067 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:59 PM

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but traffic on Douglas downtown is almost at a standstill.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3068 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 02:02 PM

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but traffic on Douglas downtown is almost at a standstill.

Looking at Google Maps Government is closed between Fort and Yates until 5 and pretty much everything between Fisgard and Superior is backed up. Not really sure if those are connected but I doubt it.

#3069 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 September 2018 - 02:40 PM

Werent they doing some changes to the road and paving at Douglas and Burnside today?

#3070 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:16 PM

There was the BC Law Enforcement Memorial today down at the legislature.  Not sure what sort of closures around there were in effect. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3071 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:24 AM

^But this was to get from city hall to the Bay Centre... 25 minutes. No one was getting to turn of the side streets because Douglas was backed up.

I think it was because Government was closed.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 01 October 2018 - 05:26 AM.

#3072 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:56 AM

^But this was to get from city hall to the Bay Centre... 25 minutes. No one was getting to turn of the side streets because Douglas was backed up.

But isn't Government 1 way north in the section it was closed? That shouldn't have affected south traffic at all.

#3073 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:02 AM

If you have all those cars moving from Government to Douglas or other points blocking the movement on the side streets because they are backed up and no one can turn into them from either direction (north or south), well...

#3074 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:19 AM

If you have all those cars moving from Government to Douglas or other points blocking the movement on the side streets because they are backed up and no one can turn into them from either direction (north or south), well...

Also hasn't government been closed there every Sunday for the past month for the market thing (that's why it was closed yesterday. I remember it being brought up as an ongoing thing back when they did that surprise)? Was traffic this bad every Sunday because if not I don't think Government was related. 

#3075 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:24 AM

And all the parking spaces were taken. I blame it on the bike lanes just because I haven't done that for awhile.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3076 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:33 AM

^^can't comment as this is the first Sunday that I have been downtown during the closures.

#3077 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:50 PM

I'm downtown pretty much every Sunday and traffic certainly seemed much worse this week than usual - my guess ss to cause is the weather.  A rainy day a) brought more people out and about rather than staying home and gardening etc. and b) made everyone want to use a car as it's far drier and more comfortable in the rain than bike or foot and far more convenient than bus running on redulced Sunday schedule.

#3078 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

Next week (22-27) you won't be able to turn left off Saanich onto Douglas or right off Douglas onto Saanich. I imagine Cloverdale and Tolmie will get pretty backed up
  • Bernard likes this

#3079 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

A little bit of advice about traveling north on Douglas between Finlayson and Saanich...

Don’t.
  • rjag, sebberry, Bingo and 1 other like this

#3080 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:28 PM

A little bit of advice about traveling north on Douglas between Finlayson and Saanich...

Don’t.

It was tooo late for me around 1pm when I got caught heading south on Douglas past Finlayson before I could make a left turn instead of going left on Saanich Road.

The work crews post their warning sign in a place where there is no opportunity left to take an alternate route. A real Gong Show.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users