Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#3101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

The alternative is becoming abundantly clear: more jobs need to be built on the Westshore.

• jasmineshinga likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3102 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:06 AM

The alternative is becoming abundantly clear: more jobs need to be built on the Westshore.

Job sprawl actually tends to increase congestion, because serving those jobs with transit is much harder. The solution is true rapid transit.

#3103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:07 AM

Sure, if your city has a million or more people. We've conducted two major studies now and both have resulted in little more than a couple of bus lanes (which would sure come in handy along the Colwood Strip, holy moly).

The Westshore is becoming a hub in this region whether the core likes it or not. The jobs are coming.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3104 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

Ahem:

Should we compare ourselves to Jupiter next?

Of course the irony here is when the shitty weather arrives between late October and March, the majority of cyclists put down their bike lights and reach for the car keys. Even nagel drove into work today!

(that's your cue to back me up here, nagel).

Sorry bro, I wore plastic pants, 2 jackets and one Peruvian wool glove for my 6:30am bike ride in.  

I would have bussed, but my bus is unreliable and I never carry change.  Allow card tap on busses and I'd ride them far more often.

I would like to see these BRT lanes open asap.  Parts of them seem totally complete, like by Uptown, but still are filled with construction assets.  Having busses bomb by traffic will really help.

#3105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:32 AM

Oh I hear you on the buses. What should help turn things around is the live tracking that will be rolled out in a few months. I used to loathe having to rely on public transit due to the haphazard nature of the service and never knowing where the bus was/how long I had to get to the stop.

• jasmineshinga likes this

Know it all.

#3106 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

Ahem. https://www.laweekly...-a-fail-5415772

Dude, they will never fix LA. They did what our current muni's are doing, and that's failing to realize upward density is more beneficial than sprawl. LA is a city of SFD suburbs connected be an inefficient freeway system (sound familiar- two Highways that bottleneck into each other here).

LA downtown is ridiculously small for a city that size.

Lets compare apples to carrots?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3107 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:09 PM

Pay-per-use express lanes opening next week: https://www.timescol...-109-1.23482989

#3108 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

Pay-per-use express lanes opening next week: https://www.timescol...-109-1.23482989

You can use them free on a bike

#3109 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:35 PM

In this weather???  Kidding aside, it was more a commentary on the angle the TC headline chose, as well as the photo.  It borders on the inflammatory.

#3110 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

In this weather???  Kidding aside, it was more a commentary on the angle the TC headline chose, as well as the photo.  It borders on the inflammatory.

People still bike in the weather. And yes, Bill Cleverly likes inflammatory articles, especially as he seems to dislike anything not-car.

#3111 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:36 PM

what's the issue with the picture? The bus does look a little close to the bike but I think it might be the angle. 

#3112 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

People still bike in the weather. And yes, Bill Cleverly likes inflammatory articles, especially as he seems to dislike anything not-car.

Yep, I saw plenty out today.

what's the issue with the picture? The bus does look a little close to the bike but I think it might be the angle. 

The picture angle suggests (perhaps rightly, I don't know) that the bike is blocking the bus.  There has been commentary in regard to this previously (if you let bikes use the lane it's no longer an express lane because the buses will all be stuck behind bikes).

Edited by DustMagnet, 01 November 2018 - 06:05 PM.

#3113 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

I bet these new lanes will be ferociously enforced, whereas I've never seen a traffic cop monitoring the one on the south side of Uptown.  Makes trying to do a legal turn at the lights quite tricky, and sometimes dangerous.

Capture.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3114 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:09 PM

The picture angle suggests (perhaps rightly, I don't know) that the bike is blocking the bus.  There has been commentary in regard to this previously (if you let bikes use the lane it's no longer an express lane because the buses will all be stuck behind bikes).

But that's true? What's the max a cyclist can go on Douglas (assuming no motor) like 30? If the bus could be going 50 without the bike there but has to go somewhere between 20-30 the bike is blocking the bus. With my experience with the current lanes this is barely a problem though. Even when there is a bike they're usually nice enough to pull over a bit in intersections and let the bus pass. I've rarely seen bikes in the lanes on Douglas though and frankly even if I could cycle I think I'd rather use Blanshard anyway so I don't imagine there will be too many new people riding in those lanes on Douglas.

#3115 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

ok it seems they aren't getting rid of the parking on Douglas. That part of the lanes will still be only during peak hours meanwhile the new areas and any you couldn't park in before are now 24 hours https://www.bctransi...e-douglas-hwy-1

#3116 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:40 AM

No, the whole bus/bike lane is going 24 hours once the section in Saanich is complete.

Now the taxis carrying passengers want to use the bus lanes.

I'm sure we can get some more of these special interest groups out of the car lanes to free up the roads.

#3117 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:47 AM

I see little reason it can't just be a HOV lane. 

• Nparker and shoeflack like this

#3118 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

Because then the cyclists wouldn't feel superior.

#3119 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:51 AM

That's what they did with the outer lanes on the highway (97) through Kelowna a number of years ago.

#3120 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:35 AM

Riding along Douglas is rarely the best or safest route by bike although I did counter-commute along a short section of it in the past.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users