Or you can call them a sidewalk trap...

https://www.sidewalk...-sidewalk-traps

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3162 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

I was at the Carey/Ravine stop today and noticed the light at Carey/Douglas would keep changing despite no one waiting to turn off Carey for quite a while. Also I managed to count and it seems it will change for right turners if they're there for about a minute (I counted 67 seconds but I might have been going fast).

#3163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

Yup, noticed that too. Right turning vehicles trigger the lights despite not being in the turning lane.

Ffs, hey?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3164 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

I didn't see any brine on the roads driving around today.  While we might not get much in the way of snow, it's still wet and frozen.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3165 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

I didn't see any brine on the roads driving around today.  While we might not get much in the way of snow, it's still wet and frozen.  

I saw a fair amount coming back from the ferry, both on the ministry and muni roads.

• sebberry likes this

#3166 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:16 AM

Victoria installation for the blind causes problems for those with mobility issues

https://www.vicnews....obility-issues/

Accessibility advocates are finding that some tools for the blind community can be hindrances to those with mobility issues.

D'oh.

#3167 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:22 AM

the City of Victoria installed truncated domes into the sidewalks

Maybe you geometry experts can help me out here but isn't a dome already truncated by definition?

#3168 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:54 AM

^ I think in this case the truncation is at the top (e.g. "flat-topped").

• Rob Randall likes this

#3169 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Yep, let's beat up the city for installing something that is legally mandated in the entire United States (and I think Ontario, as they have similar laws).

https://www.access-b...warnings-update

#3170 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

...versus the trump dome effect

???

PwfJMAo.jpg

#3171 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 04:19 PM

As strange as it may sound, this look actually makes him appear more intelligent. Admittedly, that's not saying much.

Edited by Nparker, 18 February 2019 - 04:19 PM.

#3172 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:34 PM

Slingblade

• Linear Thinker likes this

#3173 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:16 PM

Use a slingblade to truncate his dome. Umm Hmmm

Slingblade

#3174 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:59 AM

Statistics say Greater Victoria commuters on the road for a good time not a long time

https://www.vicnews....ot-a-long-time/

Greater Victoria residents cannot only brag about better weather than the rest of Canada, but also relatively shorter commutes.

That's not how relative works.  Commuters don't compare their commute times (unless they are bragging about how much longer theirs is/was) with other cities, because who cares?  The relation is between the local commute time and the local drive time when there is light or no traffic.

And that differential grows in irritation over time even if it doesn't grow in actual duration.

Even if you move from a larger, busier place and scoff (see above), "This is nothing compared to what I went through in Toronto!" you will eventually acclimate to local conditions and become frustrated with local commute times.

In summary, interesting but irrelevant.*

* Without a whiff of irony.

• jonny likes this

#3175 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

That's such a misleading article.

I'm including the bigger cities on the list, with the biggest among them bolded.

Kelowna

Calgary

Lethbridge

Saskatoon

Regina

Winnipeg

Windsor

Kingston

Sherbrooke

Quebec City

Saguenay

Saint John

Moncton

Halifax

St. John's

...all have fewer 60+ minute commuters for car-only commutes than does Victoria at 3.2.

Kelowna

Lethbridge

Saskatoon

Regina

Winnipeg

Windsor

Kingston

Sherbrooke

Quebec

Saquenay

Saint John

Moncton

St. John's

...all have a combined mode of transport commute rate lower than Victoria's of 4.4.

https://www150.statc...pdf?st=3jOyz2-w

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3176 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

But they gotta keep pushing the narrative here to justify why we dont need to replace the Malahat etc. 

The commute for folks in Gordonhead and Cordova Bay will get longer as Saanich removes more and more lanes on Shelbourne, Kenmore etc.

• Nparker likes this

#3177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:33 AM

Keep in mind, that this data does not include commutes from the Cowichan Valley. Those commute times would have been included for residents within that CMA if there was a CMA north of Victoria.

Know it all.

#3178 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

New York aims to become the first American city to charge a new congestion fee to drive into the city’s busiest neighborhoods.

The tax is expected to be adopted as early as April 1, but the fees are not expected to take place until 2021.  The bottom line is that the traffic relief rideshare companies have promised a myth -- rideshares actually put more cars on the road. And, with autonomous vehicles at the cusp of hitting the streets, congestion will only get worse.  London, Stockholm and Singapore have been global guinea pigs for congestion pricing. In each city, fees were met with disdain but later proved effective in reducing traffic, congestion, and air pollution.

In London, the number of vehicles entering an 8-square-mile area dropped by 18% in 2003 (the first year of the fees being implemented). Nitrogen oxide emissions dropped 12% in that same timeframe.

New York hopes to generate over $1B annually with congestion fees; a revenue stream that would be used for investing in a stronger transit system.

• Brantastic likes this

#3179 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:25 AM

New York aims to become the first American city to charge a new congestion fee to drive into the city’s busiest neighborhoods.

The tax is expected to be adopted as early as April 1, but the fees are not expected to take place until 2021.  The bottom line is that the traffic relief rideshare companies have promised a myth -- rideshares actually put more cars on the road. And, with autonomous vehicles at the cusp of hitting the streets, congestion will only get worse.  London, Stockholm and Singapore have been global guinea pigs for congestion pricing. In each city, fees were met with disdain but later proved effective in reducing traffic, congestion, and air pollution.

In London, the number of vehicles entering an 8-square-mile area dropped by 18% in 2003 (the first year of the fees being implemented). Nitrogen oxide emissions dropped 12% in that same timeframe.

New York hopes to generate over $1B annually with congestion fees; a revenue stream that would be used for investing in a stronger transit system.

Keeps the undesirables out of neighbourhoods they don't belong it doesn't it?  How progressive 

#3180 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:42 AM

Undesirables out of the neighborhoods? You realize if you can afford to park a car in NYC you are hardly able to be considered an "undesirable". Monthly parking can be $1000 a month alone.

I am not certain what your point is. Unless you mean keeping out the bridge and tunnel crowd.
  • Brantastic likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users