Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#3221 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:17 PM

I've crawled the Bay Street bridge before, it's not a totally different beast. Do you drive through the Craigflower/Admirals/Old Island Hwy area regularly at peak times?  And that was closed in both directions for longer. 

EDIT: I'm not saying it's not going to suck, just that we'll soon forget about it when it's done.  So I can't work up too much of a fret.

Edited by DustMagnet, 01 May 2019 - 03:20 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3222 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

^ Well, we knew this was coming for awhile now. And it may be hell, but we'll get over it. The Craigflower bridge was closed for a year. Remember how bad that was? Me neither, and I drove through the area every day at the time.

Actually I remember every minute of traffic hell, see the traffic jam incident I referred to in another thread.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3223 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

https://vancouverisl...onths-1.4403993

Bay st bridge down to one lane, closed to traffic traveling downtown from May to October

Welcome to hell

"Pedestrians will still be able to cross the bridge during construction, but cyclists will have to dismount and walk their bikes across."

Yeah, like our local spandex warriors are going to do that...  :whyme: 

• sdwright.vic and On the Level like this

#3224 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

^ lol.

people will adjust.

#3225 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

"Pedestrians will still be able to cross the bridge during construction, but cyclists will have to dismount and walk their bikes across."

Yeah, like our local spandex warriors are going to do that...  :whyme: 

I'm no Warrior-class but I freely admit I would rather take a longer route than walk it across.

• jonny likes this

#3226 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

Actually I remember every minute of traffic hell, see the traffic jam incident I referred to in another thread.

You are cursed with a long memory and I am blessed with a short one.  Or is it the other way around?

#3227 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:50 AM

Yup, work begins in about two weeks.

This is going to be brutal for Vic West and Esquimalt residents, and commuters using Craigflower.

What I can’t believe is the JSB is still three lanes. It should have been four, knowing that a less occurs when work is done on the BSB or it’s closed for whatever reason.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3228 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:58 AM

...What I can’t believe is the JSB is still three lanes. It should have been four...

I am surprised it even has that many vehicle lanes considering the increasing anti-car bias of the CoV council over the past 10-15 years.

#3229 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

Yup, work begins in about two weeks.

This is going to be brutal for Vic West and Esquimalt residents, and commuters using Craigflower.

What I can’t believe is the JSB is still three lanes. It should have been four, knowing that a less occurs when work is done on the BSB or it’s closed for whatever reason.

Honestly, they should have built the new bridge but also refurbished and left the old one to allow three lanes of traffic each direction. I know that reeks of forward thinking and Victoria's government abhors that sort of thing but one day six lanes will be needed at that crossing and it could have been dealt with proactively now instead of reactively later. Again, I understand that's not something local politicians are much good at but....

#3230 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:29 PM

^Ha! We will all be back to bicycles, remember? Or automated vehicles.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3231 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:04 PM

^Automated bicycles.  Guaranteed* to never blow through a stop sign.

* Malfunctions notwithstanding.

#3232 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:03 AM

Honestly, they should have built the new bridge but also refurbished and left the old one to allow three lanes of traffic each direction. I know that reeks of forward thinking and Victoria's government abhors that sort of thing but one day six lanes will be needed at that crossing and it could have been dealt with proactively now instead of reactively later. Again, I understand that's not something local politicians are much good at but....

But then they wouldn't have been able to realign the bridge, freeing up prime waterfront space!

#3233 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

The JSB isn't even the bottleneck. It's the crazy myriad of lights at Pandora/Johnson and Store. 

#3234 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

The JSB isn't even the bottleneck. It's the crazy myriad of lights at Pandora/Johnson and Store. 

That area is like the very definition of a cluster****.

#3235 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:17 AM

Thing is, how else would you do it?

There's room for a proper roundabout there but probably too much traffic at peak periods for a roundabout to be functional.  The bridge doesn't line up properly with either Pandora or Johnson so having a simple 4-way at the end of one of those streets doesn't work; and you'd end up with two lights on Store/Wharf - one at Pandora and one at Johnson.  Further, traffic in one direction (depending which road you lined the bridge up with) would have to turn on to Store/Wharf for a block to get on or off the bridge, causing a further bottleneck.

The absolute worst option would be to have three T junctions - Pandora-Store, Johnson-Wharf, and the bridge-Store/Wharf (I don't know where the street name changes) - meaning three very close together lights on Store/Wharf and all bridge traffic having to make two turns.  Blech!

• Brantastic likes this

#3236 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

So crews are resurfacing Fort Street between Pandora and Richmond...

I live near the area and heard what almost sounded like cars on a wet road.  Looked out the window - nothing.  It's whatever they're using getting stuck to tires and being dragged down Pandora street well into downtown.  The green bike box for the bike lane crossing Blanshard has been blackened with asphalt coming off the tires of cars that have traveled through the construction.  

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3237 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

Speed cameras to target leadfoots at 35 B.C. intersections

https://www.vicnews....-intersections/

But not in Greater Victoria.  Yet.

#3238 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:34 PM

I'm all for the red light cameras, I would put them on as many intersections as I could.

I'm OK with the speed cameras at intersections as well, you should be slowing down and paying close attention at busy intersections.

When I put on the brakes for a yellow light the first thing I do is look in my rearview mirror to see if I am going to get rammed.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3239 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:48 AM

Just a head's up, Vancouver Council has voted to proceed with the planning and implementation of a 30 km/h speed limit on residential streets. The proposed pilot project (geographic area has not been defined yet, that is part of the direction to staff) would see physical changes to the street design to reflect the desired traffic speed. A much better approach than just throwing new signs up and hoping for the best (I'm looking at you, Quadra).

Vancouver will also be asking the Union of BC Municipalities to lobby the Province for amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act to lower the default speed to 30 km/h, and allow municipalities to increase the default speed through local bylaws and signage.

#3240 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

The proposed pilot project (geographic area has not been defined yet, that is part of the direction to staff) would see physical changes to the street design to reflect the desired traffic speed. A much better approach than just throwing new signs up and hoping for the best (I'm looking at you, Quadra).

Also Atkins Rd. (30km/h) and Craigflower Rd. (40km/h)...  Ok, at least a portion of Atkins has speed humps.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users