#3301 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:15 PM

Truck partially swallowed by Esquimalt sinkhole

City of Victoria crews repaired water main break, patched up hole on Tuesday

https://www.vicnews....imalt-sinkhole/

An Esquimalt family was in for a shock when they backed out of their driveway Tuesday morning.

Water had been flooding Isbister Street since early that morning, bubbling up and pouring out of cracks in the street. Still the road was usable, and around 10 a.m. Sue McCartney and granddaughter Freya Perfect left for an outing.

By Wednesday morning the City of Victoria had repaired the water main break and put a temporary patch on the sinkhole. Tara Zajac, manager of communications for the Township of Esquimalt, says crews will do the final repair “in the future as resources and existing workloads allow.”

why is the cov doing work in esquimalt?  is it somehow because it's a water main?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 January 2020 - 12:20 PM.

#3302 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:32 PM

I've never heard of that before. Wouldn't the CRD be involved if a municipality doesn't have its own water crews, in lieu of a neighbouring municipality sending their crews?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3303 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

why is the cov doing work in esquimalt? 

Maybe because CoV crews have an abundance of free time available due to the complete lack of road maintenance in Victoria proper.

• rmpeers likes this

#3304 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:42 PM

Victoria maintains the water system in Esquimalt.

• Bernard, Linear Thinker and VIResident like this

#3305 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:51 PM

Victoria maintains the water system in Esquimalt.

Yes. Have for decades. The water system in Esquimalt used to be a private company that the City of Victoria bought in the early 20th or late 19th century (can't find a cite right now)

• Bernard and VIResident like this

#3306 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

interesting.  how do we recover costs on that?

#3307 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

Probably same way as covering the costs of VicPD servicing Esquimalt
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#3308 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:07 PM

Crazy. I never heard of that before.

The more you know...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3309 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

It is one of the oddities of this region.   The CoV owns the water system as a publicly held private company.   Arron Hall showed me the details about 10 years ago

• Coreyburger and VIResident like this

#3310 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:45 PM

Metro Van did a great poster showing who did what in their region a few years ago. Be great to have the CRD do the same. Because service provision (water, sewer, garbage, bylaw) is far from uniform and done by a variety of agencies in somewhat odd, usually historical, ways.

#3311 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:47 PM

Probably same way as covering the costs of VicPD servicing Esquimalt

Not quite. There is a framework agreement between the two councils for policing. Water is straight service - my strata pays the city of Victoria directly for our water

#3312 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:17 AM

Through each Victoria and Esquimalt property owner's water bill, CoV determines a rate to charge which in theory collects enough $ to pay for fixes, upgrades to mains. Usually annually, the WaterWorks Bylaw goes to council for approval of rate changes. Customers pay out of pocket for new or upgraded water services.

#3313 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:24 PM

I am not sure the current tragic state of CoV roads (aka accelerated pavement degradation events) can be blamed entirely on recent weather.

...We are seeing an accelerated set of pavement degradation events, said Work. All of it is from the severe weather we have experienced...

https://www.iheartra...ther-1.10563141

It's hard to believe there haven't been other projects (cough - bike lanes - cough) that likely have been more of a priority than maintenance of existing road infrastructure.

#3314 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:13 PM

Metro Van did a great poster showing who did what in their region a few years ago. Be great to have the CRD do the same. Because service provision (water, sewer, garbage, bylaw) is far from uniform and done by a variety of agencies in somewhat odd, usually historical, ways.

This 'matrix' was done years ago - the trouble is who does what, including the CRD is ultra-complex to figure out....wonder why? 

http://www.amalgamat..._autosaved_.pdf

• Coreyburger likes this

#3315 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:34 PM

I am not sure the current tragic state of CoV roads (aka accelerated pavement degradation events) can be blamed entirely on recent weather.

It's hard to believe there haven't been other projects (cough - bike lanes - cough) that likely have been more of a priority than maintenance of existing road infrastructure.

i don't blame it just on the weather... other towns and cities don't seem to have nearly this amount of issues with their roads and the amount of pot holes and their weather is much more harsh

• Nparker likes this

#3316 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:09 PM

Pure neglect. 

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#3317 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:08 PM

Pure neglect. 

Heavens no. All roads in the CoV were in pristine condition prior to the start of the current winter weather season.  <_<

• mbjj likes this

#3318 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:42 PM

On Quadra in the middle of the right lane northbound between Yates and Johnson (just north of the 7-11 exit) can right now be found one of the more impressive potholes I've seen in this town.  About a foot across and at least six inches deep.  Fortunately it's between where a car's wheels usually go, but I sure wouldn't want to be changing lanes just there...

#3319 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:45 PM

In Phoenix there is a brand new section of highway that was just opened a month or so ago and it is falling apart already. Engineers are going to study the issue and the contractor will be required to fix it. So I don't think climate change or severe weather had anything to do with the problem.

When they come up with the answer I will let you know.

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3320 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:24 AM

Turning left from Belleville onto Govt St by the Leg is really bad. Took the truck there last night and it was like a roller coaster.

Another bad road is the right lane at UVic Circle just before the Sub it has more dips and bumps than a Kardashian

• mbjj likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users