Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#3321 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:13 AM

Are you guys calling them in? Because the works department can't fix them if they don't know about them.

#3322 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:14 AM

Are you guys calling them in? Because the works department can't fix them if they don't know about them.

I'm sure there are enough works department employees driving around who can figure this out themselves :) 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3323 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:23 AM

Here's the link. Use it. I don't want to hear any more boo-hooing, oh my poor SUV hit a two inch pothole whatever shall I do?

https://www.victoria...quest-form.html

#3324 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

...I don't want to hear any more boo-hooing, oh my poor SUV hit a two inch foot pothole whatever shall I do?...

There; fixed that for you.

#3325 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

Here's the link. Use it. I don't want to hear any more boo-hooing, oh my poor SUV hit a two inch pothole whatever shall I do?

Aww Rob, I do hope you arent directing that comment to me? Thats pretty immature, the subject of this thread is Local roads and highways, which is what I commented on by posting my observations. 

Edited by rjag, 13 February 2020 - 10:35 AM.

#3326 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:45 AM

No, more towards Seb. Because it seems half this forum is "They can't fix potholes but they spend money on _______".

But potholes can appear overnight. And if they're called in Public Works can plot them on a map and fix them more efficiently.

#3327 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:49 AM

...But potholes can appear overnight...

While that is true, proper and consistent road maintenance would have prevented much of the situation we are seeing today. Blaming the weather of the past 2 months for the current state of many CoV roads is a huge cop-out on the part of officialdom.

#3328 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:51 AM

The roads are crumbling from your salty teardrops of woe.

• Hotel Mike, Brayvehart and Cats4Hire like this

#3329 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the link.  I suspect they'll set up a rule to direct all my complaints to 'Junk' but... I'll have some fun with this.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#3330 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:00 AM

I think all municipalities have a direct link like that. They also deal with road kill, broken glass and other road hazards. In my experience they have been very good at dealing with reports.

#3331 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:06 AM

The roads are crumbling from your salty teardrops of woe.

Salty tear drops are not subject to the freeze and thaw cycle that damages roads. Nice try though.  ;)

Edited by Nparker, 13 February 2020 - 03:08 PM.

• Hotel Mike and Cats4Hire like this

#3332 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:51 AM

Many of our beloved trees have roots which are pushing up the road.  Heavy trucks at construction sites have also taken a toll on roads.  

#3333 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

There's a ConnectVictoria app, use the Service Request, to report all manner of Parks, PW, Bylaw etc issues.

It can use your location, add photos, etc.

• sebberry likes this

#3334 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

There's a ConnectVictoria app, use the Service Request, to report all manner of Parks, PW, Bylaw etc issues.

It can use your location, add photos, etc.

I'm sure the'll just use it to make sure I don't travel faster than 30kph :D 

#3335 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

The chasm on Yates Street at Blanshard Street in the left-most through lane has been there for, oh, I dunno. A year and a half? It's so bad now my truck shudders like landing Aeroflot when it drives across at 30km/h.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3336 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:40 PM

The chasm on Yates Street at Blanshard Street in the left-most through lane has been there for, oh, I dunno. A year and a half?...

Hogwash! Fake news! The CoV has gone on record as stating that all of the current road conditions have happened as a result of this winter's weather.

#3337 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:11 PM

Reported the Quadra St pothole, but don't like having to give personal info (that gets stored out-of-country) to do it.

My problem with most of the potholes and bad roads I see is that by the time I get home I forget exactly (as in on what part of what block and in what lane) where they are.

#3338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:15 PM

City crews are all over the roads, all day, every day. They know the roads are bad but the budgets are what the budgets are. The length of time the Yates/Blanshard chasm has been a chasm is so big that you’re not a local if you haven’t spilled your chai latte driving/riding over it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3339 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:48 AM

Capture.JPG

#3340 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:53 AM

Road crews have their work cut out for them if they ever make their way to the side streets of Oaklands.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users