Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#3361 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:41 AM

And rjag, are you just now learning that other cities are also building traffic calmed bike routes and protected bike lanes? Just about every city is building protected bike lanes, and many are using the same kinds of designs you see in Victoria. It's a global trend, not just some kooky Victoria thing like people make it out to be.

I'm merely pointing out that the insanity is spread beyond our small bubble and that the social engineers are all singing from the same hymn book. There is no way these measures as noted in the article would be passed in normal times. They are taking advantage of the pandemic to shove their ideology down peoples throats. Its an agenda for a minority woke elite

• Redd42 likes this

#3362 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,870 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:32 AM

Reducing dependency on vehicles and supporting clean-air initiatives are major goals of the South Island Transportation Strategy, released Friday.

https://www.timescol...cles-1.24205961

why? personal vehicles are efficient reliable and affordable.

#3363 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:49 AM

why? personal vehicles are efficient reliable and affordable.

Because they are destroying the planet?
  • Brayvehart likes this

#3364 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,870 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:12 AM

they are?

well why don't we just try to get people to move around less.  most trips are unnecessary.

#3365 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:32 AM

Lol that’s actually a good idea. We definitely should be moving around less, at least in cars anyhow.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#3366 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:51 AM

...personal vehicles are efficient reliable and affordable.

It's not too many cars, it's too many people. Get that under control.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3367 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:27 AM

Where exactly can one access the plan? I see a lot of articles saying it’s been released but I can’t seem to find where to access it.

#3368 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:57 AM

Where exactly can one access the plan? I see a lot of articles saying it’s been released but I can’t seem to find where to access it.

https://twitter.com/...4638841862?s=21

#3369 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,870 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:01 AM

https://www2.gov.bc....tation-strategy

link

#3370 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:27 PM

Thanks.

That was a disappointing read. Pretty unimaginative stuff and really nothing new about active transportation that wasn’t previously announced. A lot of vague statements like “expand regional cycling routes”. Ok, which ones? To where? Very broad and vague. Not one mention of any plan to increase the frequency of transit on any particular route. In fact, the word “frequency” was nowhere to be found in the report.

I can’t wait for their long term plan to “explore the potential for commuter rail between Victoria and Westhills” and am excited to read a new study on the matter 20 years down the road.

Edited by Brantastic, 19 September 2020 - 01:28 PM.

• GaryRanson likes this

#3371 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:26 AM

Apparently they still hope to roll out their micro transit concept that failed to secure federal dollars the last time, the plan where small buses transport First Nations youth. There’s some funding coming down the pipes soon and they hope their idea qualifies.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3372 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:48 PM

Does anyone know the purpose of that silly bump-out of concrete they've put on Brighton Ave. at Richmond? We were trying to exit Brighton onto Richmond yesterday and a wide truck got rather hung up there and a car wanting to turn up Brighton had to wait, resulting in a row of cars behind them on Richmond. For the life of me, I don't see its use. Have driven that route for years and it was no problem in that stretch.

#3373 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:01 PM

Does anyone know the purpose of that silly bump-out of concrete they've put on Brighton Ave. at Richmond?...

Sounds like one of those "traffic-calming/driver-frustrating" implementations popular with woke civic engineering departments these days.

#3374 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:05 PM

Does anyone know the purpose of that silly bump-out of concrete they've put on Brighton Ave. at Richmond? We were trying to exit Brighton onto Richmond yesterday and a wide truck got rather hung up there and a car wanting to turn up Brighton had to wait, resulting in a row of cars behind them on Richmond. For the life of me, I don't see its use. Have driven that route for years and it was no problem in that stretch.

Yes, likely traffic calming. Sure, you'll get issues from time to time, but I have ran, biked, walked down there many times and never encountered any issues with cars. Benefits likely outweigh the costs here.

• Brayvehart and Brantastic like this

#3375 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:15 AM

Traffic calming on what was a very calm road, lol. Why doesn't this surprise me in the City of Victoria! The costs of all these "benefits" must be mounting. Same with that plonk of concrete in the middle of the road on Richmond, just near the end of Despard. I've already seen the "sign indicating don't crash into me in the dark" knocked over.

Edited by mbjj, 24 October 2020 - 07:17 AM.

#3376 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

2020 Financial Plan says $203,000 this year.

Traffic calming on what was a very calm road, lol. Why doesn't this surprise me in the City of Victoria! The costs of all these "benefits" must be mounting. Same with that plonk of concrete in the middle of the road on Richmond, just near the end of Despard. I've already seen the "sign indicating don't crash into me in the dark" knocked over.

• kxl likes this

#3377 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 03:00 PM

Went for a lovely drive today....into Oak Bay. After we'd passed the tent set up at Gonzales we stopped in at the viewpoint on King George Terrace, since we can no longer admire the view from the top of Beacon Hill. The road surface once you get into Oak Bay is wonderfully smooth, not like a track in the wilderness. We were able to stop along McNeill Bay and watch the sea. No point going along to Dallas Road any longer. There's so much less parking at the breakwater end now that you can't park on the house side of the road, and towards Cook St. you're staring a split rail fence. We spent some money in OAK BAY too.....what a delightful municipality. Even their sculptures are lovely. There's one at the end of McNeill Bay that looks like a large leaf...more appealing that a pink mattress.

• rjag likes this

#3378 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

Went for a lovely drive today....into Oak Bay. After we'd passed the tent set up at Gonzales we stopped in at the viewpoint on King George Terrace, since we can no longer admire the view from the top of Beacon Hill. The road surface once you get into Oak Bay is wonderfully smooth, not like a track in the wilderness. We were able to stop along McNeill Bay and watch the sea. No point going along to Dallas Road any longer. There's so much less parking at the breakwater end now that you can't park on the house side of the road, and towards Cook St. you're staring a split rail fence. We spent some money in OAK BAY too.....what a delightful municipality. Even their sculptures are lovely. There's one at the end of McNeill Bay that looks like a large leaf...more appealing that a pink mattress.

The pink mattress is the official symbol of Victoria Homeless federation. They’re  looking for a grant from COV to hire an artist to make a flag for this new claimed land . It’s a pink wet mattress on a blue tarp background. It will fly proudly in the newly reclaimed beacon hill riding .

• Nparker likes this

#3379 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:33 PM

No talk about the new "temporary" single-lane traffic calming measure on Prospect Lake Road that's going to become a permanent feature?

Map: 48.495325, -123.444743

https://www.google.c...!4d-123.4459666

Edited by exc911ence, 01 November 2020 - 07:36 PM.

#3380 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:36 PM

https://www.vicnews....pect-lake-road/

Saanich makes one-way traffic permanent on segment of Prospect Lake Road

Prospect Lake Road to close near Calvert Park Nov. 2 from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. for construction

•  

A pilot traffic calming project along Prospect Lake Road near Calvert Park convinced the District of Saanich to make the change permanent.

At the recommendation of a road safety audit completed in the area in March, the district installed a temporary, 70-metre one-way lane along Calvert Park to test the concept of narrowing the road to slow traffic on Prospect Lake Road. Plastic bollards reduced the road to one lane and drivers had treat the stretch like a single-lane bridge – yielding to oncoming traffic.

The temporary single lane stretch was installed in August after the district announced a slew of traffic calming measures for the road – an area Mayor Fred Haynes referred to as an “accident-prone corridor.” The road safety improvements were based on recommendations from the road safety audit and requests from residents over the past 20 years.

“We know from talking to residents in the area that safety on their roads is a top priority,” Haynes said. “The traffic calming results have been well received and we are proceeding with the permanent installation.”

He added that the rumble strips in the 4000-block of Prospect Lake Road and 30 km/h speed reduction from Estelline Road to Goward Road are also permanent changes.

In order to make the single lane permanent, the district will replace the plastic bollards with concrete barriers and install reflective lane markings, overhead streetlights and signage. Prospect Lake Road will be closed at Calvert Park on Nov. 2 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for that work. Crews will be working in the area from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for the remainder of the construction period with no current estimated completion date. 

Over the coming months, the district will assess the impact of the various traffic calming measures to determine if more should be implemented. Haynes predicts the changes will slow traffic on the overall route and add travel time which he hopes will result in more drivers opting to take the highway.

Edited by exc911ence, 01 November 2020 - 07:37 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users