Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3741 replies to this topic

#3581 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 04:01 PM

Good grief. $5 million for a little roundabout.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3582 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 04:38 PM

It's also a road realignment of Stirling way

#3583 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 07:05 PM

I see the usual Victorian penchant for griping and groaning and bellyaching about anything new or different is in full force on local social media about this. Regardless of what the change is I frequently wonder if there is any other city anywhere so full of whiners and complainers. Good grief its one minor tiny roundabout - a feature that any remotely competent driver should be able to navigate with ease. Of course "Victoria" and "competent drivers" rarely it seems belong in the same sentence....

• Brayvehart likes this

#3584 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 06:43 AM

It's also a road realignment of Stirling way

Oh yes, for sure, but still, $5 million for such a small project is an exceptionally worrying price tag.

Consider that two years ago, Sooke’s 1.4 kilometre four lane project, with mountain leveling, creation of a new alignment, an overpass, creek protection and local access roads, plus an 11km long widening project to French Beach, was budgeted at $86 million. If we were to extrapolate the $5 million to the highway project you’d be looking at a $175 million price tag (just my rough napkin musings).

I suspect what happened is local road crews are so busy, and the roundabout is so time sensitive (it has to be ready in tandem with the Amazon warehouse) that they were forced to take the bids that came in and I’m quite certain they were all take-it-or-leave-it high bids, and the lowest among them was snapped up knowing inflation will push it to $5.5 million if the project is delayed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3585 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 06:46 AM

I see the usual Victorian penchant for griping and groaning and bellyaching about anything new or different is in full force on local social media about this. Regardless of what the change is I frequently wonder if there is any other city anywhere so full of whiners and complainers. Good grief its one minor tiny roundabout - a feature that any remotely competent driver should be able to navigate with ease. Of course "Victoria" and "competent drivers" rarely it seems belong in the same sentence....

To be honest, roundabouts suck. I know the alternative is a controlled intersection but the airport interchange is such a dog’s breakfast that it looks like the MoT has stopped emulating that configuration because it’s such a confusing and panic inducing design for anyone who doesn’t drive it often. Peninsula residents hate it.

Know it all.

#3586 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 07:27 AM

To be honest, roundabouts suck. I know the alternative is a controlled intersection but the airport interchange is such a dog’s breakfast that it looks like the MoT has stopped emulating that configuration because it’s such a confusing and panic inducing design for anyone who doesn’t drive it often. Peninsula residents hate it.

Curious as to why you think they "suck?" They're drop dead easy to navigate if you know what you're doing. Some of them locally are certainly a bit "tight" from a design standpoint, but any reasonably competent driver should be able to handle them with ease. I did the Swindon Puzzle in England when I was 15, admittedly with two Brit uncles in the car who laughingly coached me through it, but still that monster is 1000x more difficult than any roundabout in this town. I did the YYJ one for the first time after it opened late at night in a driving rain storm and breezed through it. 

• Brayvehart and FogPub like this

#3587 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 07:48 AM

I did the YYJ one for the first time after it opened late at night in a driving rain storm and breezed through it.

That's because it was late at night in a rain storm.

I guess it's not about knowing what you're doing and your own competence, it's about other vehicles not signalling their intentions properly, motorists pulling out in front of you when it's not safe for them to do it, and smaller roundabout entry points getting muscled out by the bigger flow of traffic. Some times you wait, and wait, and wait, just to squeeze in. I know this, because I live in a community with a big roundabout for our parts, that controls access to a major retail destination and along a highway/single route through town. It's always busy, in other words.

They're also very dangerous for pedestrians. Motorists are busy looking at entry points and the intentions of other drivers and will sometimes not see a pedestrian crossing just as they're about to enter the roundabout, or just as they're about to exit.

They're awful.

Know it all.

#3588 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 08:50 AM

That's because it was late at night in a rain storm.

I guess it's not about knowing what you're doing and your own competence, it's about other vehicles not signalling their intentions properly, motorists pulling out in front of you when it's not safe for them to do it, and smaller roundabout entry points getting muscled out by the bigger flow of traffic. Some times you wait, and wait, and wait, just to squeeze in. I know this, because I live in a community with a big roundabout for our parts, that controls access to a major retail destination and along a highway/single route through town. It's always busy, in other words.

They're also very dangerous for pedestrians. Motorists are busy looking at entry points and the intentions of other drivers and will sometimes not see a pedestrian crossing just as they're about to enter the roundabout, or just as they're about to exit.

They're awful.

Agree with that 100% ++ which IMO, since roundabouts will only proliferate in the area and aren't going away, that properly and successfully navigating them should be incorporated into go-forward driver testing much like parallel parking. 

• Mike K., rjag and Brayvehart like this

#3589 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 08:58 AM

Another reason everyone should have to retake their knowledge and driving test once every several years.
  • AllseeingEye and Brayvehart like this

#3590 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 08:59 AM

They were thrust upon us without any real notice. They just all of a sudden happened, and the MoT said deal with it.

Some roundabouts are also better than others, but man are they ever dangerous for pedestrians. By design they're meant for drivers to have 100% of their focus on what other vehicles are doing and then wham, a pedestrian jaunts out from the right as you're focused on the left.

Know it all.

#3591 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 12:04 AM

Massive Highway 4 project expected to be completed this fall, $16M over budget

The ministry said smaller blasts on large overhanging bluffs were required due to the nature of the fractured bedrock. Increased environmental protections also contributed to the cost overruns.

The project budget was increased to $53.96 million from $38.1 million, which includes $13.5 million in federal funding.

Is that really “massive”? Not so sure.

https://www.timescol...-budget-5721791

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 August 2022 - 12:05 AM.

#3592 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 August 2022 - 06:13 AM

Not compared to the Highway 1 work being done west of Golden, but if you drove through there at all in the last 2 years you’d not call it small.

#3593 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 09:53 PM

We finally got centre lines on the main road!! Two of them, and both yellow! It’s a Christmas miracle.
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#3594 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 09:56 PM

Congratulations! Welcome to 1960.

• Matt R. likes this

#3595 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2022 - 12:00 AM

^In 1960 they'd have been white lines, not yellow...

• Mike K., AllseeingEye, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

#3596 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 06:08 AM

Not in the UK. That's when they switched to yellow.

#3597 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 06:38 AM

It’s because they have gotten better at dividing us…
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#3598 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 06:45 AM

^ classic

#3599 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 06:45 AM

Safety first, I guess.

Know it all.

#3600 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 02 September 2022 - 03:45 PM

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.09.02-19_43_54.png

https://twitter.com/...783108771000320

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.09.02-19_45_02.png

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users