Imported Japanese cars

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:45 AM

I know that title is a little redundant but I wanted to differentiate this new trend of importing used Japanese cars (built for the Japanese market) into British Columbia.

I've noticed about half a dozen over the past few months but only had my camera around to catch this one. It's a model not found here; about 3/4 as large as a standard minivan and is identifiable as a Japanese-market auto by the right hand drive and Japanese inspection stickers.

This is in the Broughton parking lot and I wasn't able to get a good angle for a picture.

This morning on CBC radio they were talking about this trend--apparently over 250 cars are imported monthly into BC and the number is rising.

The ones I've noticed seem to be quirky models. They have to be at least 15 years old to qualify for importation. They say driving is O.K. but parallel parking takes practice with the steering wheel on the right. Some BC drivers are shocked to see a dog in the drivers' seat of the car in the next lane!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

Anyone seen the new police paddy wagons? They look kinda Euro-style. One is marked as normal, one is unmarked, sinister brown.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:29 PM

Anyone seen the new police paddy wagons? They look kinda Euro-style. One is marked as normal, one is unmarked, sinister brown.

I love the unmarked one, you see it coming from blocks away and you think "police van".

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:30 PM

^Yeah, I saw one the other day --a Dodge-- but wasn't able to grab a good photo. Besides, I don't want to be caught photographing cops or they might give me a beatdown. :-D
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:59 PM

They look Euro like this:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:07 PM

They're called Dodge Sprinters. UPS has started using them, too.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:39 PM

What's the reasoning behind importing these Japanese cars? Just to be different? Or is it something practical?
Why do they have to be at least 15 yrs old?

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

They have to be 15 years old or they would have to comply with all the modern regulatory stuff ie emissions testing etc..

Apparently the japanese take good care of their vehicles so even their old ones are relatively good compared to ours. At least that was the gist of the CBC article this morning.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:03 PM

They have these insanely strict annual inspections in Japan that basically ensure cars are kept in showroom condition.

The minivan above is outfitted as a great 4WD ski machine.

One I saw was an odd little retro car; like a Mini.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

I'm gonna have to check this out.
I love little cars.

Feeling relief, the eggplant avatar is gone.

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

This is where you can get 'em: http://www.japanoid.com

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

^Those are just the types of cars I'm seeing here.

A new avatar, just to stop your complaining.

My old avatars aren't compatible with this forum.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:13 PM

Check out this beauty:

The 1990 Nissan Figaro.

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:16 PM

Or this one:

The 1990 Suzuki Jimny. 55 horses of raw Japanese power!

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

This looks like the same one you posted Holden:

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:29 PM

The Suzuki Every

There's no van quite like Every Van. The "Evly" was the most popular Kei Jidousha van of the 1990s. Widely enjoyed by hilarious university students and harajuku housewives, the Every is admired for its practicality and efficiency.

It's uses are endless. With lots of trunk and headroom the Every is perfect to help your buddy move in with his girlfriend. Or better yet, the dual-side sliding doors make for some great drive-by party pickups.

Can university students who don't have a sense of humour make use of this van as well?

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

The Suzuki Carry
Years before Honda started making four wheel vehicles Suzuki introduced the Carry Pickup. That was back in 1961. Now with twice the engine size (660cc) and a whole lot of torque, the Carry can haul some serious stuff, or nothing at all.

Add four wheel drive and exceptional mileage, owning a truck never felt so good. Some Carry's even have bed hydraulics, in case you need to take a dump someplace.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:40 PM

^ At 660cc, I suggest "nothing at all" is the more likely haulage use.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:54 PM

^ha!

Seriously, businesses should be buying these for deliveries instead of the giant cube vans they use now (that always seem to be 80% empty).

I'm pretty sure I saw one of those "Every" mini-vans parked in Fairfield, just off Cook St. They're funny looking because of their small size.

#20 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

I've spotted 4 of these;

There are a couple of these running around town;

And there is one of these parked in James Bay all the time;

Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users