Photo

Victoria Conference Centre

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:16 PM

And I get that, but come on. $1,500 art installation is a pretty basic duty of the city. Anything to do with public art gets pooped on by some on this forum. I get the complaints about $750,000 for nothing on Quadra Street, but whining over $1,500 for this is akin to the minutia that our beloved neighbourhood associations gripe about.

Let's be real here. Even Langford spends municipal dollars on public art.

#42 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

BIG TEXAS FORUMER

• 16,310 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

Don't forget there was a sculpture removed from the Crystal Gardens property so we're not even back up to par when it comes to public art at the Convention Centre grounds. 

“I mean I just don’t understand the big Texas part, like maybe he’s from Texas? I want to know the back story.”

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 66,088 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:50 PM

There was art removed from Bastion Square, too. And from in front of City Hall.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 17,315 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:21 PM

And I get that, but come on. $1,500 art installation is a pretty basic duty of the city. Anything to do with public art gets pooped on by some on this forum. I get the complaints about $750,000 for nothing on Quadra Street, but whining over $1,500 for this is akin to the minutia that our beloved neighbourhood associations gripe about.

Let's be real here. Even Langford spends municipal dollars on public art.

The art is a red herring. The story is how the City completely misjudged the market and paid millions to renovate that site and is also costing us hundreds of thousands a year to maintain with minimal revenue.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 66,088 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:31 PM

They should sell the facility and put another hotel on the property with a realistically sized conference centre below.

Or not.

The location of the conference centre is awful. The trend is high profile locations with incredible views. Ours is stuck in between buildings next to the busiest thoroughfare on the Island.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 66,088 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

The National Animal Welfare Conference lands in Victoria in 2020

Want to meet like-minded people? Learn about new trends and issues facing animal welfare? The National Animal Welfare Conference (#NAWC) is where you need to be in 2020. NAWC is the largest and best-attended Animal Welfare

Conference in Canada. The 2020 keynote speaker is Dr. Jane Goodall. Don’t miss out!

This two-day conference features presentations, workshops, panels and activities on new animal welfare initiatives. You’ll get insight into:
* Emerging animal welfare science
* Best practices in animal sheltering
* Best practices for leadership
* Fundraising in an animal welfare context; and
* Advocacy techniques and animal welfare community engagement.

When you join us in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia to celebrate animal welfare you’ll learn about:
* Animal Welfare Science - what it means for animal welfare
* Sheltering and Community – this year with a strong focus on canines
* Advocacy and Mobilization – how to keep the momentum up for animal welfare
* Animals and the Law – a look at animal laws, including case studies and experiences
* Climate Change and Animals – a new topic for this conference (only on March 29)
* Humane Education – we want to see a humane Canada in one generation, teaching empathy is one way we’re going to make it happen.

And so much more!
https://pheedloop.co...901013-85945385

The 2020 National Animal Welfare Conference is where we’ll celebrate our Heroes of Canadian Animal Welfare at The Humane Canada Animal Welfare Leadership & Innovation Awards with Dr. Jane Goodall on March 28, separate ticket required.

Network with Industry Leaders at #NAWC

Where: Victoria Convention Centre, Victoria, British Columbia

When: March 28 – 30, 2020 (There is a deep dive training day on March 31, learn more here (https://pheedloop.co...901013-85945385) )

Know it all.

#47 DavidL

DavidL
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:27 PM

^ I wonder if they’ll organize a carriage tour of the city? 😬
  • Mike K., Nparker, Bernard and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users