CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
945 replies to this topic

#521 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 11:51 AM

It’s not peace times

Did we declare war on someone overnight? We are at peace. Therefore there are measures which can be taken to ensure the MENTAL health of our troops as well as the physical.

This sort of commentary, and others like "that's what they signed up for" are dismissive of the very real toll on one's mental health that excessive activity to no meaningful result (again, firing exercises do nothing to stop a pandemic) causes.

Welcome to Mental Health Week. I am not currently in a steel box at sea and I have increasing panic attacks and bouts of anxiety so overwhelming I want to crawl into a hole and awake in a few months when everything's moved on.

My sympathies to the soldiers who have acknowledged their ongoing stress issues, asked for help, and then were mocked by a bunch of civilians at their keyboards.

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

~ Jasmine ~

#522 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 11:58 AM

All I am saying is any sailor who can't handle the mental or family costs of being at sea for extended periods doing drills probably doesn't belong in the Navy.  Nothing but respect for those who serve, but it was never meant to be a cushy government job and it still isn't.  I have friends in the forces currently deployed overseas with no idea when they are coming home due to COVID.  It is a tough job and a sacrifice for sure but they are tough people.

• VANRIDERFAN likes this

#523 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:16 PM

And that's the issue - not knowing when you're going home.  Typical deployments are for a certain number of weeks or months, sometimes they're extended, but there's usually certainty.  Often, deployments aren't 'worst case scenarios', but if they're training for them then that training is likely to be very demanding, moreso than their typical deployments.  

Mental health in the Forces is a serious concern.  They're not robots.  When this COVID thing started up and the sailors were moved out to sea, they didn't know if it was going to last 3 weeks or 3 years.  

• jasmineshinga and Brayvehart like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#524 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:27 PM

THANK YOU Sebberry!

Deployment, ex, field work, etc. All these things have a finite scope and timeline, which none of us have right now.

• Brayvehart likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#525 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:54 PM

To be fair doing readiness drills usually happens before you go on deployment for a few days. Once you are underway you simply are doing your job working on average 12 hours a day. When you are doing an exercise you are doing more readiness drills for a few days then back to port. Most deployments you are maybe at sea for a couple weeks tops, then shore leave.

Doing constant drills in an unchanging environment would eventually have detrimental effects on performance and morale.

• jasmineshinga likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#526 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:48 AM

The refit of HMNZS Te Kaha is drawing to a close soon. New Zealanders will be arriving at CFB Esquimalt next month in preparation for sailing home. It’s not yet known when she’ll depart Esquimalt.
  • Lorenzo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#527 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:20 AM

Up to another 22 years for the subs.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...arine-1.5665020

#528 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

^ Since the subs don't ever drift away from their piers for more than a short period of time it should be easy keeping that going for another 20-30 years.

#529 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:59 AM

Sure they do. They have missions that take them all over the world.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#530 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:05 AM

^ Military propaganda. The sum total # of days at sea last year for all 4 subs combined was a grand total of zero.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-navy-1.5458632

#531 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:12 AM

Last year was a major refit and update year, but saying they “don’t ever drift away from their piers” is not accurate.

All submarines require tremendous amounts of maintenance, but because we have four they’re having to share that maintenance schedule with active duty which means lapses in deployment occur. If we had ten or a dozen subs of that same class, for better or worse, there would be constant missions at sea.

Safety is the top priority and given the extreme nature of those vessels their maintenance is complicated and far more crucial than that of a regular navy ship.

Know it all.

#532 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

Last year was a major refit and update year, but saying they “don’t ever drift away from their piers” is not accurate.

All submarines require tremendous amounts of maintenance, but because we have four they’re having to share that maintenance schedule with active duty which means lapses in deployment occur. If we had ten or a dozen subs of that same class, for better or worse, there would be constant missions at sea.

Safety is the top priority and given the extreme nature of those vessels their maintenance is complicated and far more crucial than that of a regular navy ship.

More so with these subs.  Procurement of replacement parts has been a nightmare for these subs. 

#533 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:27 AM

The parts must be custom made, and we’re not dealing with simple metals here, we’re dealing with alloys that must withstand extreme pressures, environments, etc. It’s very, very complicated.

I’ll ask around to get a better sense of what actually went on in 2019. The CBC is looking for a headline but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were secret deployments under NATO. Sherbrooke is coming to our coast soon via Panama. Maybe one of ours will sail to Halifax while Sherbrooke undergoes a refit.

Know it all.

#534 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

They have been in 'refit' since the day we bought them. Sure some have gone to sea and even on exercise but we have rarely had more than one serviceable sub available at any given time. Heck I don't think they could even provide a crew for the four subs if they had to.

#535 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:32 AM

It’s not quite like that. There are missions all the time under NATO and Canadian deployments. We’re not supposed to know about them.

Know it all.

#536 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:33 AM

"Comrade Admiral, I have a plan to cripple the Canadian economy for the benefit of Motherland Russia."

"Excellent, what do you propose, Comrade General?"

"We shall facilitate the sale of English submarines to the Canadian Navy. Their military budget will be tied up for decades!"

• grantpalin likes this

#537 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

That's military strategy in the 21st Century. We plot against our enemies by pouring billions into drydocked submarines while Russia and China buy fifteen dollar Facebook ads.

• spanky123 likes this

#538 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:26 AM

I think one went out then crashed into the ocean floor just a few dozen miles out.

pretty sure they are not conducting secret nato missions thousands of miles away.

#539 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:19 AM

I think one went out then crashed into the ocean floor just a few dozen miles out.

pretty sure they are not conducting secret nato missions thousands of miles away.

I knew the Captain of that Sub. No sense of humour.

Like "Who put the ocean floor there?". 

• grantpalin likes this

#540 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 10:55 PM

Your post is wrong in so many ways. But it is just reflective of the absolute ignorance that Canadians have towards the CAF in general and the RCN in particular.

• AllseeingEye likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users