CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
959 replies to this topic

#541 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:54 PM

please enlighten us. where are our subs?
  • Lorenzo likes this

#542 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:44 PM

Your post is wrong in so many ways. But it is just reflective of the absolute ignorance that Canadians have towards the CAF in general and the RCN in particular.

Wow! I am a Navy brat and have always had the utmost respect for the CAF and in particular the RCN. But I am pretty sure the Corner Brook did slam the bottom and currently resides in a big blue shed in Esquimalt, likely til 2021. And I believe I saw the Victoria or Chicoutami (or both, didn't get much of a look) tied up alongside a week or so ago. And I don't have any secret intel, just visual observations and news reports. If I am wrong I will certainly eat crow.

Edited by Lorenzo, 12 September 2020 - 01:48 PM.

#543 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:33 PM

Look I knew someone who worked on the subs and their junk just like half the equipment we make our military put up with. The liberals always screw over our troops. Every damn time.

#544 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:23 AM

Rouleau's appointment would signal a continuation of the current path set by Vance's five-year tenure — the longest in modern Canadian history — and enshrined in the Liberals' defence policy.

That policy — known as Strong, Secure, Engaged — released in 2017 promised massive billions of dollars in investments over the next 20 years for more troops, new equipment such as warships and jets, and new capabilities in cyber and space.

A similar signal would be sent if the Liberal government tapped Royal Canadian Air Force commander Lt.-Gen. Al Meinzinger, Canadian Army commander Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre or Royal Canadian Navy commander Vice-Admiral Art McDonald.

They, along with Lt.-Gen. Christopher Coates, who recently moved into Rouleau's old job as head of the Canadian Joint Operations Command, would bring their own skills and styles, but they are also viewed as largely similar in terms of continuity.

Some worry the economic damage caused by COVID-19 has made the defence policy unaffordable and that the government might bring out the axe.

https://www.kamloops...tary-1.24202293

#545 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:57 AM

At least one of them is here in dockyard.

On Friday they were phoning around looking for a dozen and a half wireless smoke alarms that they could stick in the various compartments because their computerized fire alarm system made in god knows where packed it in.

Edited by Arnold, 13 September 2020 - 06:59 AM.

• Mike K. and sebberry like this

#546 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:05 PM

Some worry the economic damage caused by COVID-19 has made the defence policy unaffordable and that the government might bring out the axe.

The military is in for a long cold winter. I would suspect that procurement and funds for operational costs will be cut to the minimum needed to keep our forces marginally effective. The MND is the CDS' boss. Doesn't matter who they pick, they will do as they are told and put on a happy face while doing it.

#547 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:37 AM

Embarrassing us wherever they are.

#548 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:44 AM

The MND is the CDS' boss. 

Always wondered this.  And to what level.

#549 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:50 AM

Seems to me the only mission of these useless subs is to prove that the Canadian military is not incompetent.

#550 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:01 PM

A smoky submarine surfaced off the waters of the West Shore on Monday afternoon.

With the submarine HMCS Victoria back in service it is now visible during trials in the local waters off Greater Victoria.

On Monday afternoon the Victoria was spotted spewing smoke near Albert Head and local whale watch guide Chris Mick Miller took photos.

https://www.vicnews....sions-underway/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 September 2020 - 03:02 PM.

• todd likes this

#551 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:49 PM

Well, they're diesel electric subs, and diesel makes smoke, which has to go somewhere ... thus smoke is seen when the diesel engines are charging the batteries, batteries which actually power the subs while underway.

As noted many times by Janes Fighting Ships (the bible of such things) this class of sub is a solid one, with no inherent weaknesses. 

As noted earlier, subs require a lot of maintenance, and when you've only got four of them, the optics can certainly seem to be that the subs are always in dry dock, or otherwise unusable during a maintenance period ... when in fact, it's because our submarine fleet is only working with a grand total of four subs.

Some random whale watching guide who knows absolutely nothing about how a diesel electric sub actually functions starts ringing the panic bell about exhausting smoke demonstrates the complete and utter ignorance too many Canadians display when they attempt to make what are usually totally uninformed comments about our military, and our military's equipment.

#552 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:52 PM

Exactly!

This are extremely complicated machines, and they do indeed exhaust a lot of sooty smoke when above water, just like grandpa's ol' Cummins.

The alternative is nuclear power. And we all know how that would go over.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#553 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:50 PM

And the tugboat just got ambitious and started spraying water?

Looks like it’s been ordered to perform some boundary cooling.

Edited by todd, 21 September 2020 - 07:02 PM.

• Lorenzo likes this

#554 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:27 PM

I want new submarines.

#555 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:51 AM

photo of the smoke: https://www.bclocaln...sions-underway/

#556 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:55 AM

Communications officer Janice Lee at Maritime Forces Pacific (MARPAC) said the Victoria has a diesel engine that runs when it surfaces to help charge the sub’s battery and is responsible for a thick exhaust.

Ah, I see.

“There is nothing wrong with the submarine,” Lee said

Jesus, don't jinx it.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#557 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:28 AM

Jokes aside these subs are actually quite capable, the issue is the lengthy maintenance cycles these boats require, in addition to the fact we Canadianized the hell out of them, meaning more time dockside and naturally lots more money.

Among other things we removed the anti-ship (Harpoon missile) capability initially built into them by the Brits - terrible move IMO - and there is also an interesting blogspot authored by an RN submariner's association that includes comments by a former RN sub skipper who commanded these boats while in RN service, bemoaning the fact their initial design called for a nautical mileage range of 8000 kilometres when in fact the range is half that. If true that is a major shortcoming.

#558 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:37 AM

did we also have to move the steering wheel and pedals to the other side?

• todd likes this

#559 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:40 AM

Ah, I see.

https://youtu.be/r_sojwiRQaA

#560 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:48 AM

Doesn't add up. Diesel smoke is black. That looks more like steam. I have seen this sub on the surface with the diesel running and it didn't look like this. Why would the Firebrand be necessary?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users