CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
945 replies to this topic

#561 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:53 AM

All exhaust smoke can be black, including diesel, when the air/fuel mixture is changed to give it a black appearance on purpose, or if there is something wrong with combustion. Otherwise diesel smoke is white/grey like what you seen there. If you see black diesel smoke, something is wrong.

That's how this sub looks when it's operating. I've seen it many, many times in the straight with white exhaust being emitted.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#562 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:55 PM

I stand corrected. Thx Mike.

• Mike K. likes this

#563 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 12:23 AM

Wow! I am a Navy brat and have always had the utmost respect for the CAF and in particular the RCN. But I am pretty sure the Corner Brook did slam the bottom and currently resides in a big blue shed in Esquimalt, likely til 2021. And I believe I saw the Victoria or Chicoutami (or both, didn't get much of a look) tied up alongside a week or so ago. And I don't have any secret intel, just visual observations and news reports. If I am wrong I will certainly eat crow.

CB hit a wall not the bottom there is a difference. She is now in the shed getting a major upgrade to her systems. Vic is doing sea trials, Chicoutimi is next to go into the shed. Windsor is on the east coast.

The subs are good equipment, our government was very slow in approving the purchase and since we (RCN) had already bought into the USN Mk-48/50 torpedo system we had to rip out all of the tubes and FC for the RN Tigerfish torps. We also had to change the communications suite. This was all done in Scotland. In hindsight it would have been better for all involved that we load up all the boats on a ship mover and brought everything to Canada.

We are G7 Maritime nation. Submarines are a massive force multiplier and there is no reason but public indifference and lack of political will that we cannot have blue ocean navy for self defence and ensuring the security of the global commons.

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#564 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:22 AM

CB hit a wall not the bottom there is a difference. She is now in the shed getting a major upgrade to her systems. Vic is doing sea trials, Chicoutimi is next to go into the shed. Windsor is on the east coast.

The subs are good equipment, our government was very slow in approving the purchase and since we (RCN) had already bought into the USN Mk-48/50 torpedo system we had to rip out all of the tubes and FC for the RN Tigerfish torps. We also had to change the communications suite. This was all done in Scotland. In hindsight it would have been better for all involved that we load up all the boats on a ship mover and brought everything to Canada.

We are G7 Maritime nation. Submarines are a massive force multiplier and there is no reason but public indifference and lack of political will that we cannot have blue ocean navy for self defence and ensuring the security of the global commons.

I think you are only reaffirming what we have been saying, none of the subs are operational. Do we even have crews for more than one sub? You mention Vic is doing trials but it had been in 'refit' for 6 years prior!

I am not arguing the logic behind the purchase or the impact of torps, just that the reality is that the subs have spent far, far more time in repair/refit/alongside a jetty then they have been at sea operational.

Edited by spanky123, 06 October 2020 - 06:24 AM.

• todd likes this

#565 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:34 AM

You can get a free trial of Rosetta Stone here: https://www.rosettas....com/freetrial/

Edited by todd, 06 October 2020 - 07:38 AM.

#566 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:41 AM

I think you are only reaffirming what we have been saying, none of the subs are operational. Do we even have crews for more than one sub? You mention Vic is doing trials but it had been in 'refit' for 6 years prior!

I am not arguing the logic behind the purchase or the impact of torps, just that the reality is that the subs have spent far, far more time in repair/refit/alongside a jetty then they have been at sea operational.

I believe one of them is operational.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#567 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:38 AM

In warfare, it is better to wound the enemy than kill him, as as caring for an injured soldier consumes valuable resources

Similarly, it is beneficial to convince your enemy to buy and maintain expensive, impractical and ineffective ships. 

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#568 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:27 AM

Wartime analogies usually do that.

Edited by todd, 06 October 2020 - 09:29 AM.

#569 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:33 PM

Similarly, it is beneficial to convince your enemy to buy and maintain expensive, impractical and ineffective ships.

I thought the UK was an ally
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#570 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:10 PM

Wouldn’t be the first time they invaded Canada.

#571 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:16 AM

Military procurement in Canada has been a cluster as long as anyone can remember. If it is not politicians interfering in procurement it is the contractors hiring away decision makers who then use their inside info and contacts to negotiate better deals for themselves.

• todd likes this

#572 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 04:29 AM

i will just put this here although not really navy.

https://www.timescol...oria-1.24218579

Seaspan Shipyards officially handed over CCGS John Cabot — the last of three offshore fisheries science vessels the shipyard has built — to the Canadian Coast Guard in Victoria on Friday.

The vessel, designed specifically for the coast guard and scientists from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, joins CCGS Capt. Jacques Cartier and CCGS Sir John Franklin, which are already in service.

#573 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:43 PM

CSC-option-img-05.jpgThe Navy has put out a little fact-sheet that finally gives some detail on the exact specs of the Canadian Surface Combatant (slightly different from the Type 26).

Edited by Mattjvd, 23 November 2020 - 04:56 PM.

#574 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:52 PM

Great choice; the Type 26 is a highly regarded design. Big ships too, considerably bigger (about 40%) than even the old Iroquois-class destroyers. Finally we get it right on the choice of major weapons platform and don't take the "cheap" option as so often happened in the past.

• grantpalin, Mattjvd and Victoria Watcher like this

#575 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:27 PM

Great choice; the Type 26 is a highly regarded design. Big ships too, considerably bigger (about 40%) than even the old Iroquois-class destroyers. Finally we get it right on the choice of major weapons platform and don't take the "cheap" option as so often happened in the past.

Agreed, the specs given above have the CSC with roughly equivalent weapon systems to the Halifax class and the Iroquois class combined. Albeit, more modern versions. 

They sure are big, the largest surface combatants that the RCN will have operated since the 1950s, when the WWII era cruiser HMCS Ontario was retired. 

• AllseeingEye likes this

#576 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 05:17 PM

ezra levant will be on tucker tonight talking about the canadian military training or training with the chinese.

#577 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:36 PM

One Canadian military member missing from HMCS Winnipeg

News release
December 15, 2020 – Ottawa – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces

One member of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) went missing on Monday, December 14, 2020, while deployed in Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Winnipeg.

Missing is Master Sailor Duane Earle, a Boatswain, from Winnipeg, Manitoba.

The details are still being determined, but it is believed he accidently fell overboard very early on December 14, while the ship was approximately 500 nautical miles west of San Francisco, California, en route back to Esquimalt after being deployed to the Asia-Pacific region on Operations PROJECTION and NEON.

MS Earle was not identified as missing until later in the day, at which point HMCS Winnipeg turned back along its route and commenced a search, along with its embarked CH-148 Cyclone helicopter. The search effort is being coordinated by the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) in Alameda County, California and includes Royal Canadian Air Force and United States Coast Guard assets.

MS Earle’s next of kin have been notified and the CAF is providing his family with the support needed to help them through this difficult time.

The CAF will conduct an investigation into the circumstances of how the member went missing.

More details will be released in the near future.

Quotes
“We are dedicating all available resources to search for Master Sailor Duane Earle in hopes of bringing him home. During these difficult times, I keep his family and friends in my thoughts. Each and every day, Canadian Armed Forces members across the country put service to Canada ahead of thoughts of their own safety. The entire Defence Team will be there for his family during these challenging times.”

The Honourable Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of National Defence
“It is with heavy hearts that we have learned of the devastating news that Master Sailor Duane Earle, a Boatswain with HMCS Winnipeg is missing. Our thoughts go out to his family, friends, shipmates and the entire Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Armed Forces.”

General Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff
“Today marks a tragic turn of events after a year that has taken a large toll on many of our Canadian Armed Forces members and families. I am profoundly saddened by this accident and I want to express my deepest sympathies to the family, friends and loved ones of our missing sailor and I hope we will be able to provide you with some solace during this extremely difficult time.”

Lieutenant General Christopher Coates, Commander Canadian Joint Operations Command
"Our thoughts are with the family, friends and loved ones of our missing shipmate, Master Sailor Duane Earle. With this happening so close to the end of this deployment and with the Holiday Season looming, it’s simply devastating and is felt across our extended naval family.”

Vice-Admiral Art McDonald, Commander, Royal Canadian Navy
Quick facts
From September to December 2020, Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Winnipeg was deployed in the Asia-Pacific region on Operation PROJECTION Asia-Pacific and Operation NEON, to further strengthen Canada’s relations with partners in the area.

During these operations, the Canadian Armed Forces conduct training, exercises, and engagements with foreign navies and other international security partners.

HMCS Winnipeg has approximately 230 highly trained and professional officers and sailors who were well-prepared to meet the challenges of their deployment on Operations PROJECTION and NEON. HMCS Winnipeg delivered robust capabilities working with our partner navies to strengthen international partnerships and stability in the Asia-Pacific region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#578 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 December 2020 - 02:48 PM

^That was upsetting news to wake up to this morning :(

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#579 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:42 PM

^ Agreed. This story isn't making any sense to me though. If the seas are 4m-5m then why is someone out on the deck in the dark without all wear gear?

#580 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:44 PM

Sadly, the first thing that went through my mind was whether he actually fell, or perhaps jumped?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users