CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
945 replies to this topic

#641 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:55 AM

the person claims it was intimate and sexual.  but consensual for sure.  she moved up to major during his time as chief commander.

you might be right about the politics.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2021 - 07:56 AM.

#642 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:24 AM

the person claims it was intimate and sexual. but consensual for sure. she moved up to major during his time as chief commander.

you might be right about the politics.

Vance says it wasn’t sexual but even if it was, unless she was in his direct chain of command the military says that is fine as referenced by the thousands of married couple (and many more unmarried) in the CF.

Officers are promoted through a review board to Major and higher ranks.

#643 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:28 AM

but if you are the very top guy isn't everyone in your chain of command - and lower?

it does seem silly.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2021 - 08:28 AM.

#644 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:33 AM

but if you are the very top guy isn't everyone in your chain of command - and lower?

it does seem silly.

That is why I said direct chain of command. Outside of his own staff, the CDS would have no daily oversight of anyone at the rank of Captain or Major

#645 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:04 AM

That is why I said direct chain of command. Outside of his own staff, the CDS would have no daily oversight of anyone at the rank of Captain or Major

DOAD 5019-1 is a little broader than that: Beyond direct chain of command, it limits intimate relationships where one party could influence the career of the other. Being a general officer that is pretty broad.

In any case it would need to be disclosed to "the chain of command" which (I think) would be the minister for the CDS. More likely it would need to be disclosed to a senior HR/Perscom officer.

#646 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:15 AM

i'll admit my knowledge of military affairs - and military affairs - is limited to what i understand from watching no way out.  and stripes i guess.  could yuri be working inside the canadian navy now?  probably.

67b1ae8889d7bb48d00990a66b6a1d2b.jpg

that could explain explain our sub hitting the bottom of the ocean.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2021 - 10:17 AM.

• todd and Mattjvd like this

#647 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 11:45 AM

The country's former top military commander will be investigated following a published report of inappropriate behaviour involving female subordinates.

The allegations were levelled against former chief of the defence staff general Jonathan Vance in a Global News story, which was broadcast and published online on Tuesday.

Admiral Art McDonald, who replaced Vance only two weeks ago, issued an internal statement to personnel Wednesday morning saying trust and support of commanders must be sacrosanct, but also earned.

"Frankly, I fear that situations like these erode the trust you have in leadership," McDonald said.

"Of course, yesterday's allegations will be investigated. As this situation unfolds and we learn more, I promise to be open and transparent in communicating with you all as we weather this storm together."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...riate-1.5899324

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2021 - 11:45 AM.

#648 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:17 PM

DOAD 5019-1 is a little broader than that: Beyond direct chain of command, it limits intimate relationships where one party could influence the career of the other. Being a general officer that is pretty broad.

In any case it would need to be disclosed to "the chain of command" which (I think) would be the minister for the CDS. More likely it would need to be disclosed to a senior HR/Perscom officer.

I would have said that the latest regs are even looser as they outline specific actions which would constitute inappropriate behaviour and do not seem to dismiss frat in its entirety within the chain of command.

Edited by spanky123, 03 February 2021 - 03:18 PM.

#649 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 05:00 PM

I would have said that the latest regs are even looser as they outline specific actions which would constitute inappropriate behaviour and do not seem to dismiss frat in its entirety within the chain of command.

Yeah, it's not prohibited in all cases. But I belive it does need to be disclosed to your chain of command and they will verify that there are no conflicts of interest. So if Vance spoke to the Commander of Military Personel Command or to the minister or deputy minister then (in my interpretation of the order) it's all above board.

#650 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:14 PM

A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared at a military base near Victoria, B.C.

Two cases have been associated with the outbreak, which began Wednesday when a single case was detected at a navy fleet maintenance facility at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt.

All maintenance work at the facility was scaled back to only the most critical duties Thursday. However, a second case of COVID-19 was detected Friday in a civilian member who had worked alongside the member who previously tested positive.

https://vancouverisl...-base-1.5298176

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 February 2021 - 05:14 PM.

#651 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:15 PM

Time to speed up the vaccination process.

• sebberry likes this

#652 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 08:47 AM

Is it actually an “outbreak?”

Furthermore, it’s not listed on Island Health’s lists of exposures or outbreaks. What’s with the delay? Or is it that if it’s a work environment and not a place the public has access to, it’s not listed?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#653 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:05 AM

Is it actually an “outbreak?”

What actually qualifies as an outbreak?  Is it a single transmission?  Is it 60 people getting infected?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#654 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:06 AM

Maj. Kellie Brennan says the time has come to tell her story.

For years, she says she felt she had nowhere to turn despite telling military superiors in the chain of command about the intimate, sexual relationship she says she had with former chief of the defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance while he was her superior.

But always, she says the response was the same.

“It was a hot potato that nobody knew what to do with,” said Brennan, speaking with The West Block’s Mercedes Stephenson in her first on-the-record interview about the longstanding sexual relationship she says she had with Vance, including while he was chief of the defence staff.

https://globalnews.c...kellie-brennan/

“Yes. In his office, I guess that’s an intimate relationship – having intimate encounters in his office, at my house, at his house, in cars. Have sex in these places, I guess, is an intimate relationship,” Brennan said.

Brennan says she has faced dozens of incidents of inappropriate sexual conduct over her roughly 30-year career in the military from a number of different men, including rape.

She says she shared some of those experiences with Vance in conversations about joining the class action lawsuit for victims of sexual misconduct in the military, but nothing happened.

Brennan said she told Vance about a specific violent assault at a previous posting.

“This military member that I thought was a nice guy invited me to engage with him in a conference room … and he turned from Dr. Jekyll [to] Mr. Hyde,” she said.

“He snapped and he raped me, and I fell to the ground. I smashed my head. I lost consciousness.”

Brennan continued: “I conveyed all of this to Jon Vance in detail, and he did nothing.”

“He knew about this after Operation Honour, and he did nothing?” Stephenson asked.

“Nothing, because he couldn’t, he said,” Brennan said. “I was the dirty secret. He couldn’t defend me — then people would know about us.”

sounds like a couple freaks.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 February 2021 - 05:18 AM.

#655 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:25 AM

^ Interesting point that I hadn't seen made elsewhere is that Ms. Brennan is in the reserves. She is not a regular force officer.

#656 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:30 AM

^ Interesting point that I hadn't seen made elsewhere is that Ms. Brennan is in the reserves. She is not a regular force officer.

2016:

Army of Mom: Captain with 8 kids urges more child-care compensation for big families

It would be difficult to pick a more appropriate symbol to mark Mother’s Day than Kellie Brennan, a forty-something Canadian Army reservist.

Brennan has eight children, most of them young. They range in age from 16 months to 16 years. (Brennan is separated from her husband.) 

https://ottawacitize...or-big-families

The Montreal native is working in operations at army headquarters in downtown Ottawa. Brennan is a Class B reservist under a three-year contract that began last fall. 

Unlike Class A reservists, Brennan works full time in the military. To make ends meet, she also works part time locally at a real estate sales agency.

1246293.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 February 2021 - 08:34 AM.

#657 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:23 AM

Class B reservists work full time in non-operational roles. A Major get paid $525 ish a day. Obviously she still had enough free time to work as a realtor.

Edited by spanky123, 22 February 2021 - 09:24 AM.

#658 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:40 PM

What an unholy cluster***k - and entirely predictable, sadly.

Canada couldn't get the DND-CCG procurement process right if God Himself hand delivered the cash and the master plan to the PM's residence with instructions in both official languages using tiny mono-syllabic words. My neighbor is a naval officer and I recall a conversation 5 or so years ago about the NSP and he concluded that "as usual....Canada will flounder and flail along hopelessly, and ultimately I guarantee you we'll **** it up...."

Well here is more proof, as if more were needed (the new replacements for the frigates are already a decade behind schedule) - a BILLION dollars for a single minor (science) vessel. When all is said and done our navy and CG combined will be lucky if they could cooperatively patrol, perform surveillance of and successfully defend the Saanich Inlet never mind patrol and secure THREE ocean coastlines:

https://www.timescol...plan-1.24284971

#659 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:55 PM

^ Saw it and you beat me to the comment. Well at least it is both coasts now. Not just Irving that can't build a ship.

#660 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:07 PM

That's pretty embarrasing, get it together. What on Earth could, on a Coast Guard ship, cost anywhere near that much?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users