CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
945 replies to this topic

#861 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 08:14 PM

And rumours of a bomb shelter right under. A lump in the ground. Unfounded I think.

There was also one near Horner Park on Palo Alto Street. Near Mt. Tolmie.

Yeah, I heard that one too.  A bomb shelter for who, Benson?

Probably just an electrical or mechanical room.

Edited by Matt R., 04 November 2022 - 08:14 PM.

#862 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 08:42 PM

I do hope the new warning system will adjust the audio message volume accordingly; currently when the base 'alarm' sounds - which really sounds like elevator muzak its so nice, and calm and reassuring you almost want to go to sleep - its accompanied by a typically female Canadian voice that is also serene, calm, practically hypnotic - and its almost totally inaudible because the volume is so low. And because its Canada I almost expect it to conclude with "We're sorry!"....

Point being there is not much point at all of a warning system if citizens can't hear it. In the event the Cascadia Fault lets go and unleashes potentially several tsunami's in our direction what is the point of regional audio alert issued thus:

Tsunami Advisory: Take Action—A tsunami with potential for strong currents or waves dangerous to those in or very near the water is expected or occurring. Stay out of the water and away from beaches and waterways. Follow instructions from local officials. Tsunami Watch: Be Prepared—A distant earthquake has occurred.

Instead for clarity and above all to ensure widest possible distribution and understanding the new Esquimalt system better be set up as follows:

Tsunami Advisory: Take Action—A mother-f**** of a tsunami with potential for strong currents or f***** GARGANTUAN HUMONGOUS waves potentially LETHAL to those in or very near the water is expected or occurring. Stay out of the effing water and away from beaches and waterways. Follow instructions from local officials. Tsunami Watch: Be Prepared—A distant earthquake has occurred.

• Fox likes this

#863 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 08:55 PM

And rumours of a bomb shelter right under. A lump in the ground. Unfounded I think.

There was also one near Horner Park on Palo Alto Street. Near Mt. Tolmie.

The family home was across Cedar Hill X Rd from Mt Tolmie for 40 years; when high wind or heavy rains or other storm conditions set off that warning system it was the eeriest, most Dr Strange-lovian but effective warning alert ever. You were in no doubt when you heard it what it was, where it was coming from, and above all unless it was a test that something really bad was coming and you needed to listen to the radio and take cover.

As I pointed out in my other post on this topic the current alert is practically welcoming and soothing - but most critically if its windy or there is a lot of local road traffic you can't hear the actual voice message. That was *never* an issue with the old system which was very deliberately designed and set to wake up all the dead souls in heaven, hell, purgatory and limbo if it had to. I suppose however in 2022 it would be deemed 'too scary' or harmful to the children.... :whyme:

#864 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 08:50 PM

Ah Canada, seriously you just cannot make this stuff up:

https://nationalpost...e-russian-fleet

The Canadian Surface Combatants program was originally sold to the Conservative government as costing around $14 billion. By the time it was announced in 2008, the plan to create a domestic shipbuilding industry had risen to $26 billion.

In the years since, DND has attempted to frustrate all attempts to gauge the costs to taxpayers but redoubtable parliamentary budget officers have kept pressing. In 2017, the PBO estimated the ships would cost $62 billion; in 2019, the figure was updated to $69.8 billion and most recently to $84 billion.

Such massive price inflation is partly because of delays — the first ship is not expected to be delivered before the end of the decade and the 15th and final vessel will enter service in 2048-49 — 40 years after the project was announced.

And my favorite part of the entire article:

Writing in the National Post on the weekend, retired naval commander Roger Cyr called the project “ludicrous.” He pointed out that changes to the original Type 26 frigate designed by Lockheed Martin and BAE Systems have added 900 tonnes to the design, making it double the weight of the Halifax class frigate it is replacing — with a commensurate increase in cost.

The modifications are being carried out to accommodate the demands of the navy, which wants an anti-submarine and anti-air warfare capability. However, as Cyr points out: “Surely our requirements are not so unique as to require changes so drastic that they would multiply the cost by three?” < --- Now_THERE_is a question!!!

He said DND should mix the Type 26 ships with smaller Type 31 frigates that could be bought for under $1 billion each. Currently, each of the 15 frigates on order will cost more than $5 billion each — more than the British spent recently building the Prince of Wales aircraft carrier.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 07 November 2022 - 08:51 PM.

#865 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 03:06 PM

Quebec judge Richard Meredith has acquitted Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin — the senior military commander who once led Canada's vaccine rollout — of one count of sexual assault stemming from an allegation dating back more than 30 years.

On Monday, Meredith said he was not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that Fortin was the culprit in this case.

"I am so relieved by the judge's decision today," Fortin told reporters outside the courtroom. "I did not do what I was accused of. Did not."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-case-1.6673070

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 December 2022 - 03:06 PM.

#866 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 03:39 PM

HMCS Winnipeg and Vancouver returned today. Defence Minister Anita Anand was in attendance at CFB Esq.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#867 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 04:17 PM

Quebec judge Richard Meredith has acquitted Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin — the senior military commander who once led Canada's vaccine rollout — of one count of sexual assault stemming from an allegation dating back more than 30 years.

On Monday, Meredith said he was not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that Fortin was the culprit in this case.

"I am so relieved by the judge's decision today," Fortin told reporters outside the courtroom. "I did not do what I was accused of. Did not."

Great to hear that he was acquitted, too bad he still lost his job and his reputation is permanently destroyed.

It was a disgrace that he was even charged. There was no physical evidence at all, the witness changed her story several times, her own witnesses wouldn't back up her claims and there were suggestions at trial (the judge refused to allow admission of the evidence) that the victim has previously made similar claims about others in the past. 

#868 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:45 AM

This is how screwed up our legal system has become. The crown prosecutor in the Dany Fortin case complaining that "I think the judge decided to (give) the accused the benefit of the doubt,"

https://www.ctvnews....-case-1.6181640

I always thought that was how our legal system worked, innocent until proven guilty.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#869 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 01:55 PM

These things do have a way of sticking around!

We were reminiscing with someone last week, talking about when our kids were little and we had some afternoon babysitting in that house by the base, the father was some big shot at the base… what was his name again?

Oh yah Craig Baines, so we googled it up and sure enough his Wiki entry has that he once played golf with someone named Vance.. this was listed under “controversies’.

#870 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,293 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:49 AM

Sexually inappropriate 'call sign' leads to guilty verdict, reprimand for 2 military officers

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-sign-1.6683800

Of course the article doesn’t tell us what the call sign was. I’ll just assume it was “Penis”. Until told otherwise.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 December 2022 - 09:50 AM.

#871 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,293 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:52 AM

Oh hold on.

The call sign, which would be used to identify the pilot and would be written on their CF-18 fighter aircraft, was based on the male pilot’s consensual relationship with a female Canadian Forces officer. The woman later entered into a consensual same-sex relationship.

As a result, the RCAF fighter pilots assigned him the call sign FAWG, which stood for “F—-d A Woman Gay.”

Royal Canadian Air Force spokesperson Maj. Trevor Reid said the military was not releasing details on the call sign because it did not want to cause further harm.

But the call sign has already circulated on Canadian military social media forums and has been sent to this newspaper by military sexual misconduct survivors to illustrate just how toxic military culture remains.

https://nationalpost...7a536fb1b5/amp/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 December 2022 - 09:53 AM.

#872 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 12:02 PM

Sigh. Air Force call signs have never been intended to be flattering but I suppose particularly if the female officer felt it went 'beyond' and formally complained the RCAF has no option but to investigate. Years ago I met an ex-RCAF pilot whose call sign was "Thumper" which was certainly not a reference to any fairy-tale rabbit. More pointedly another Canadian pilot was known as "Shrink" a not at all veiled or subtle reference to a well known Seinfeld episode pertaining to a deficiency in the male anatomy....

A year or two ago, the US Navy received some complaints from pilots about call signs that were racially insensitive. Most of these involved African American aviators. Understandably that was not permitted to continue and as a result of those complaints the chief of Naval Air Training issued new guidance for pilot call signs wherein the new “process” includes reviews by multiple members of a command chain. Call sign reviewers are to advise the CO of any “secondary meanings” or pop culture references in the call signs. They can’t be offensive, malicious, or hostile, or bring discredit to the (US) Navy.

Consequently now when a call sign is “issued” to a US pilot, they must be advised of the rationale behind the name. The “old” process of assigning a call sign was naturally (way) less formal and there were only three rules:

• If you don't already have one, you will be assigned a call sign by your unit "buddies".
  • You probably won't like it.
  • If you complained and moaned too much about points 1 and 2, you'd get a new nickname - that you'd like even less...

There’s a decent bio about a USN female pilot, “Call Sign Revlon”. She was originally given the name “Hulk” because she could bench press 200 pounds. It was changed to “Revlon” when she appeared on a local TV show with excessive amounts of makeup.....

#873 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,293 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 12:05 PM

Sounds like hazing practices. Probably not good.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 December 2022 - 12:05 PM.

#874 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 12:12 PM

Unquestionably - been that way in military orgs around the world for decades and decades. Some years back in the 90's the Russian Army had a hazing practice too that involved those Russian Army recruits who happened to be gay - highly unfortunate for them as all too frequently they would be marched out to the Katyn Forest outside the city of Smolensk near the Belorussian border, 'on exercise', and then mysteriously die in 'training accidents'. 

Edited by AllseeingEye, 13 December 2022 - 12:13 PM.

#875 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 01:59 PM

Sounds like hazing practices. Probably not good.

Hazing would generally go a little further than giving someone what amounts to a nickname. In addition, there was no indication that the person receiving the nickname was offended or upset.

#876 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 02:01 PM

Looks like the Liberals are up in arms about losing the Dany Fortin case and now want to go after the military colleges directly.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rbour-1.6683474

#877 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 07:54 PM

Unquestionably - been that way in military orgs around the world for decades and decades. Some years back in the 90's the Russian Army had a hazing practice too that involved those Russian Army recruits who happened to be gay - highly unfortunate for them as all too frequently they would be marched out to the Katyn Forest outside the city of Smolensk near the Belorussian border, 'on exercise', and then mysteriously die in 'training accidents'. 

Yeah, practices like that weren't restricted to Russia.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#878 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 08:43 AM

Yeah, practices like that weren't restricted to Russia.

Yeah, what part of the above did you miss: - been that way in military orgs around the world for decades and decades.

#879 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 07:38 PM

Yeah, what part of the above did you miss: - been that way in military orgs around the world for decades and decades.

You were responding to hazing in the military, then went on to describe what Russia did.

Hazing in the military has been going on for ages, I agree, but, what Russia did was not confined to Russia.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#880 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 11:32 PM

You were responding to hazing in the military, then went on to describe what Russia did.

Hazing in the military has been going on for ages, I agree, but, what Russia did was not confined to Russia.

Sure purely as a very well known - and documented by many non MSM sources - example of what one particular nation did re: military hazing rituals - surely that should be obvious and not need to be explained ad nauseam? Nowhere did I say, infer or imply that harsh hazing practices were confined to Russia - that you apparently assumed that was the case is on you, not me.

However if it makes you feel better or helps you sleep at night, or perhaps you harbour some deep-seated pro-Russian sensibilities for whatever reason and took offence, by all means feel free to substitute "the US" or "the UK" or "China" or "North Korea" in place of 'Russia' then insert whatever offence you can come up with to boot, as long as its not a fabrication.

That other countries also have or had their own brutal hazing practices wouldn't be inaccurate - nor did I state any such thing. I merely used one example which I am familiar with which set you off for some reason...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users