Monaco Lofts--Johnson and Government

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

Too bad they couldn't keep the unpainted brick but it looks pretty good. A big improvement.

1951:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:55 PM

I agree, it's definitely a step up from what was there prior. I don't how they would exactly have kept the 'unpainted brick' after it had been plastered over, but I think it still would have looked nice.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:58 PM

^They removed the plaster from the Synagogue at Blanshard and Pandora. It's possible if the brick is in good condition and you've got plenty of time and money.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:02 PM

That area is coming along so nicely in such a short period of time.
It's wonderful!
Now if they could just close the Plaza Hotel and that peelers, we'd be in business!

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:04 PM

What's in that corner retail space at the mo?

#6 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:06 PM

The plastered-over "modernized" facade is amazing (amazingly awful, that is). I'm not sure whether to think of it as a particularly brutal facadomy or as some kind of Second World cheap-o "protection" pulled over the building... It's just awful, whatever it is/ was.

I wonder if that's when the building went blind -- i.e., the windows at street level got that one-size-fits-all look, levelled off at the top? Notice how the original windows had arches, set off in light-coloured granite. Now there are awnings, which don't do nearly as much for the building -- although I admit they're better than just plain nothing.

Vandals. You really have to wonder what people were thinking of when they "cleaned up" those old buildings....
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:06 PM

What's in that corner retail space at the mo?

Cheap-ass Chinese furniture and souvenirs. Temporary tenants, I hope.

#8 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:07 PM

@gumgum: the corner retail space has a really cheap Oriental "furniture" and knick-knacks store right now -- looks temporary.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#9 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:08 PM

Holden & I are obviously falling all over ourselves to respond here! :)

Ok, I'll take myself off to another thread!

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

^Ha, I think we were separated at birth. Great minds think alike!

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

We really need another Starbucks.
We should put one there.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:14 PM

^It would be a carbon-copy of the one just down at Yates and Gov't.

Does anyone have a recent photo of this building from before the renovation? This must be one of the few buildings that went through four distinct facade changes.

#13 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:20 PM

Another Starbucks?

Then I would have to walk by 15 coffee shops to get to "The Bean" every morning...

Humpth?

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

I think they've done a pretty good job with this one but I'm still bothered a bit by the nice-but-safely-bland esthetic. Why couldn't the lowest level flaunt some striking red brick or coloured stone or something like that?

#15 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:46 PM

^ Well, exactly! If you look at the vintage photo (pre-"modernization"), what individualizes this building is the difference between the ground floor and the top floor levels. The ground floor's arched windows, their scale (they're pretty damn big), the darker colour: all this make that level into a big "shout-out," whereas now it sort of blends in.

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 05:43 PM

Another Starbucks?

Then I would have to walk by 15 coffee shops to get to "The Bean" every morning...

Humpth?

I was being tongue in cheek. :wink:

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

Actually this is the building I find myself wanting to live in the most right now. Great location, cool places inside. I want one of those greats lofts!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:42 AM

Many of the existing bricks in the building weren't in good shape, but I think it turned out pretty good.

#19 Ada

Ada
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:11 AM

I have to agree with Ms. B. Havin. Seeing renovations like this, with the "new, but made to look old" facade makes me think of a building held hostage with duct tape over it's mouth. I prefer the two vintage photos to this new design. If it wasn't sturdy enough to restore, it would be nice to do something entirely different - if the money's there.

Of course, if my aunt had nuts... and so forth.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

I think they did a pretty good job restoring it. It is by far the best looking building at that intersection.

I agree that the modernist facade of the 50s- 60s was really bad though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users