Photo

Monaco Lofts--Johnson and Government

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:46 AM

Oops, just to clarify: When I remarked that the previous "restoration" was vandalism, I meant the modernized facade (50s? 60s?), which took out all the detail & variation in the original. I still think that the original is the most interesting (better than the most recent reno), but I do prefer the most recently completed reno over the 50s/60s job.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#22 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:49 AM

But I also see Ada's point (re. the duct-taped hostage). When I walk close to the Monaco and stop to look for the arched windows (which you can't see anymore, because it's now framed in and stuccoed over), I do get a strange sense from the building.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:51 AM

That is relatively minor compared to the buildings downtown that have had bell towers or even multiple floors removed. I mean to say that a single building in Victoria has been restored to its 19th Century glory would be a major misnomer.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 Ada

Ada
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:02 AM

I actually like the 50's/60's look, it's very clean and... well, modern.

I will have to spend a few more hours looking at archive photos to see the changes in the downtown. Bell towers and multiple floors removed? I see I have a lot to learn about Victoria.

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:09 AM

Here's Deluge Fire Hall on Yates with the bell tower

I think we have a thread on this somewhere in the photos section :)

It has a whole new look!

#26 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

^ @ Ada: Looking at the photos again, I can see your point. Taking the corner windows out along with the corner entrance, and then putting a name vertically on the corner did make a streamlined kind of sense. I just wish a brand new building had been built like that, vs taking a good-looking heritage one and messing with it. The heritage building's corner "spoke" differently (hmm, we're getting back to that duct-taped hostage!!): a door, windows above, etc. There was a different orientation. The current renovation, by taking out the arch and putting an awning over the entry, which effectively de-emphasizes it, has altered the accent once again....

#27 Ada

Ada
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

I agree with you. A brand new building would have been better than removing such a beautiful building.

Ah well, watching it move throughout the years is interesting in any case. It would be good to see what t looked like before these recent renovations. Unfortunately, I completely forget what it was like.

I think I need that grid project just for my crappy memory.

#28 Ada

Ada
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

G-man! That photo is amazing. It's hilarious how that gorgeous structure has been plopped down in the midst of the other buildings. I'll have to look at the thread to see why the bell tower was removed.

#29 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

I think it rotted away.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:21 PM

Yeah there was also another tower on top the Oriental Hotel further down the street which had the same fate.

It has a whole new look!

#31 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:50 AM

deleted by mod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users