[Saanich] Mark One | 15- & 5-storeys | Mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

Mark One is a two-building, 15 and five storey development proposed for Crease Avenue at Harriet Road in Saanich just north of Uptown.

146 units of residential, six commercial units and two live-work units are envisioned.

Mark-One-Development.jpg

Mark One proposal aims high with 15-storey residential tower

By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca

http://vibrantvictor...idential-tower/

A mixed-use development has been proposed to the north of Uptown shopping centre in Saanich.

Envisioned are two buildings, dubbed Mark One, at 15 and five storeys along Crease Avenue at Harriet Road with a combined 146 residential units, six commercial units and two live-work spaces. According to the project site plan Building A, the taller of the two, will be situated at 50-54 Crease Avenue and Building B at 3657 Harriet Road.

If approvals are received for the concept as proposed the 15-storey Mark One tower will be the tallest building ever approved in Saanich. [More]

Here's the site plan, and project website at http://markonedevelopment.com/

Mark-One-site-plan.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

I have dreamt about this type of density taking place here. This is awesome!!!!!!!! I had no idea that Uptown would have such an impact on development but we now have three large developments all occurring in the area.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

And there are those two towers envisioned for Uptown itself.

Btw, notice that skybridge connecting the two buildings! This must the first of its kind in Victoria.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

I love the commercial along the Goose there.

It has a whole new look!

#5 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Interesting proposal, I wouldn't mind seeing it built. The bridge seems odd though. Crease Ave. has very little traffic so I don't see what the point of the bridge is.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

There may be joint amenities between the two buildings and also there are two more sites for development just across Goose. I like it. In fact I would go so far as to say that this is the first time I have been really excited about a project in Saanich. 

• Nparker likes this

It has a whole new look!

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

I would lose the two surface lots though. They kill the street feel. There is a potential to turn Crease into a cool little strip that could be a destination apart from Uptown if the commercial and pedestrian realm is done well. The two surface lots kill that. 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

As a density fan -- and as a cyclist -- this looks great. I was crossing the goose bridge yesterday and thought that this area could be so amazing if it gets developed, and there it is. Nice!

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

I have a better feeling about this one than I did about the one across from Mayfair Mall. I assume that bridge is there because there would be some shared amenities between the two buildings?

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Tune into CFAX tomorrow at 9:00AM as I join Frank Stanford to speak about this project and other residential projects popping up around the Uptown area.

Know it all.

#11 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Looks pretty good...too bad this isn't downtown! Something like the 15 storey building by the arena would be a nice development.

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

This project looks great to me. Several towers in the area would really be great, IMO. One 'super' tower for great Victoria perhaps even (30 stories?).

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

There is so much potential for the area. The lots just north of Boleskine along the Goose would be great for some taller buildings.

It has a whole new look!

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

Mike K. from VV will be on CFAX from 9-9:30 today talking Uptown and condos in general.

Listen here > > http://www.cfax1070.com/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#15 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

I've arrived just in time :)

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Nicely done, Mike!

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

:)

Frank Stanford is great to chat with. All of the hosts at CFAX in fact know their craft and keep a conversation going despite a guest being talkative or not.

Know it all.

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

That is a nice looking building; has Leonard ever stated for the record what is position is re: building height? As I recall was there not a proposal to build 6-8 stories on Christmas Hill a few years ago - did his worship ever volunteer a sound bite on that development? Can't recall. What is the current maximum allowable building height in FrankLand?

This being Greater Victoria and assuming this one ever sees the light of day, I can see it being reduced to half the proposed height inasmuch as someone, somewhere will inevitably trot out the tried and true "won't someone please think of the children?!" or they will decry the potential for lost views of the Sooke Hills etc., ad infinitum. Of course I would be thrilled to be wrong.

• Nparker likes this

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

The Rainbow Hill project on Christmas Hill (two eight storey condos) has been approved with a bunch of townhomes already completed. It sounds like the condos might move forward soon too. Over at Tillicum Mall a 13-storey project was approved so we're not far off with 15 at this site. I think there is appetite for these buildings. Even in Victoria the 21-storey Promontory was proposed and approved without much grief.

Weird how some projects attract an incredible amount of attention and opposition while others just breeze through.

Know it all.

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

The Rainbow Hill project on Christmas Hill (two eight storey condos) has been approved with a bunch of townhomes already completed. It sounds like the condos might move forward soon too. Over at Tillicum Mall a 13-storey project was approved so we're not far off with 15 at this site. I think there is appetite for these buildings. Even in Victoria the 21-storey Promontory was proposed and approved without much grief.

Weird how some projects attract an incredible amount of attention and opposition while others just breeze through.

Just keep them out of James Bay...? :P I'm fairly new to Victoria and this board, but that seems to be one of the themes. My feel for the area so far is that the Uptown area is perfect for this type of density.

• G-Man likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users