Sunday business closures

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

This morning I discovered a nail in one of my tires and while air isn't hissing out at an alarming rate I figured I could drop by one of a number of auto repair/tire replacement shops in the city. On my drive into the office this morning I thought I'd drop off the car and get some work done, but nope, no chance. Every business I came upon was shuttered for the day.

Does anyone know of any tire repair shops outside of the west shore (I know there's the Wal-Mart in Langford but I'd rather not have to drive there if I can help it) open on a Sunday?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Canadian tire

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

Nope, closed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

Time to break out the spare.

EDIT:  Canadian Tire View Royal auto center is open on Sunday, according to the website.

http://www.canadiant...l-bc.store.html

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

In case I'm mistaken, this is the year 2014, right?

I might have to get in queue at Wal-Mart in Langford. Lame.

Not that I don't want to put on the spare but that's more of a last ditch effort if I can help it :) I've done that too many times to count and it's about as fun as pulling teeth.

Know it all.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

See my edit above if you missed it...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

Crazy. I was up there last Sunday or the Sunday before and they were shuttered, at least it looked to me as though they were. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Sparky likes this

Know it all.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Nice they're open. The one on Douglas that I called when rjag suggested them is closed on Sundays.

Know it all.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Here's the deal. View Royal Canadian Tire auto centre is open on Sundays now until 5. Langford Canadian Tire is open until 2, where my truck is sitting now :)

Know it all.

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

^ Would have been easier if you waited until Monday to run over the nail.

• sebberry and lanforod like this

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

No kidding, hey?

But it turns out Sunday struck twice in one day. The nail punctured the tire in such a way that the tire is kaput. Best part is with 4x4 vehicles once one tire has to go they all have to go. Stupid nail.

Know it all.

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Not necessarily.  How worn are the tires and what differentials are used on your vehicle?

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, with these guys you're screwed if you don't have all four equally sized tires. The TPMS sensor started throwing codes immediately once the spare went on (it's got more-or-less full rubber compared to the ones that were on there with about 60-70% left).

Know it all.

#14 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, with these guys you're screwed if you don't have all four equally sized tires. The TPMS sensor started throwing codes immediately once the spare went on (it's got more-or-less full rubber compared to the ones that were on there with about 60-70% left).

Can't you just recalibrate it? I know I have to recalibrate mine whenever I rotate or change air levels.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

Nope, it sensed one wheel was out of sync with the other three and kept beeping at me.

A buddy's brother-in-law is a mechanic and I had a lengthy conversation with him about these things. He says that even if you're off a tiny bit on one tire the AWD system will eventually fail due to one wheel spinning faster or slower than the other three. Unlike 2WD systems, AWD requires all four tires to be as close to the same size as is physically possible. He said he's seen as little as 1/8th of an inch difference causing expensive problems. Insufficient or sporadic tire rotations, incorrectly balanced tires, faulty/old tires and issues causing uneven tire wear are a cause of 4WD/AWD system failure. Most people attribute them to faulty design or wear, or what not, but they don't always think to check into the root of that failure.

Know it all.

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

The TPMS just monitors the tire pressure, at least mine does, and couldn't care less about what size tire I had on.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

That's what I thought too. As soon as the spare went on with full tread and juiced to the same pressure as the other three it started going haywire. I dunno...

Know it all.

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

It may be model or manufacturer specific, but I don't think the spare has a TPMS sensor in it. 

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hmm, the plot thickens.

Well what I do know is when the new rubber went on it still threw errors until it was reset. It's very demanding, this sensor.

Know it all.

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

The way to go if you have the room is to go back to a full size tire for the spare. In the good old days that spare became part of the tire rotation maintenance. Sensors in the tires, bah!  you don't need that to tell you when it's flat on the bottom.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users