[Colwood] Silkwind at Westshore condo | 77m | 23-storeys | Canceled in 2009

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

At this point I would think the developers are more inclined to sell the property with the lucrative zoning than build something as large as this project.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#202 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:26 PM

We are getting encouraging feedback that they wish to continue with the project,” said city administrator Chris Pease.

Yet they won't return your calls or e-mails regarding filling in part of the hole so that Colwood can get on with the plan for sidewalks and a bike lane?

Colwood: Hello, Mr. Developer, we would like you fill in the hole so we can put in a sidewalk.

Developer: Yes, thankyou, we could do that but we plan on finishing our project and that would impede our progress.

Colwood: O.K. then, we will will wait until you are finished.

#203 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:57 PM

I just read in the goldstream gazette that they want to start construction on this in early 2010

#204 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

I just read in the goldstream gazette that they want to start construction on this in early 2010

Oh yeah? I'm also going to be proposing a 40 story tower in downtown Victoria on parking lots at Ships Point, I am in talks with Donald Trump to name it Trump Towers Garden City. I expect approval from the City of Victoria almost immediately, and will commence construction in 2010 as well, cheapest units will be 1 million but I expect a weekend sell out

#205 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:46 PM

wtf why the attitude? Im just sayin what I read look it up if you dont believe me, I know its a longshot but dont try and make me look like an idiot for sayin it

#206 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

All Marcat is saying is don't believe what you hear in the papers. Part of being in business is never admitting defeat and trying to create hype about your product.

#207 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

More of the same.

GOLDSTREAM NEWS GAZETTE
Silkwind pit stability concerns Colwood

Silkwind has been idle for two years.
Buy Goldstream News Gazette Photos Online
Email Print Letter to Editor Share
OTHERS ALSO READ...
Goldstream News Gazette
SilkWind project shows signs of life
SilkWind tower revival eyed for 2010
Colwood mapping out community highlights
St. Nick tours Colwood
Colwood budget talks next week
Vancouver Island South
Economy 'stabilizing'
Text
By Amy Dove - Goldstream News Gazette

Published: January 28, 2010 1:00 PM

http://www.bclocalne...s/82847372.html

#208 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

COLWOOD PREPARING TO ACT ON SILKWIND PIT
http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=12726
Mar 11, 2010

COLWOOD'S PROTECTIVE SERVICES COMMITTEE IS RECOMMENDING THE OWNER OF THE "SILKWIND" DEVELOPMENT SITE ON WALE ROAD BE GIVEN TWO WEEKS TO START WORK ON A RETAINING WALL, OR BE BILLED FOR A CITY PROJECT.

THE COMMITTEE HAS RECEIVED AN ENGINEERING REPORT THAT ADVISES IT IS NOT SAFE TO LEAVE THE GIANT PIT THROUGH ANOTHER RAINY SEASON.[...]

#209 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

COLWOOD PREPARING TO ACT ON SILKWIND PIT

Haven't they been "preparing to act" for months now? ;)

#210 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:17 PM

Poor Colwood. They have been dealing with tight finances, and now they have to spend money on this. :(

Something I realized the other day: Wasn't it the lot half a block down from Silkwind that had a proposal for a 12 storey building in the late 90s? I think where the Wendy's is. If I remember correctly, the project was turned down because it was too tall (although whether there was demand for a building of that size is another question). So in the 1990s, 12 stories is too tall, but ten years later, 23 stories (Silkwind) is just fine? Whatever. :confused:

#211 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

Well they can now put the call out for yard fill :)

#212 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:08 PM

Couldn't they bring in the Minto rocks for this job?

#213 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

Poor Colwood. They have been dealing with tight finances, and now they have to spend money on this. :(

Colwood will have to initially spend money on this project, but they will issue a charge against the property title and just like if Silkwind doesn't pay their property taxes, they can have the property sold to recover their entire costs plus interest. Colwood will not lose a penny by building a retaining wall.

As for G-man's comment, yes, the hole could be filled in very quickly, just call the excavation contractors in town and tell them they can fill that hole and the dump trucks will arrive very quickly

#214 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

COLWOOD TAKING STEPS TO DEAL WITH GIANT PIT
http://www.cfax1070....ory.php?newsId=

THE GIANT PIT HAS GOT TO GO-----THIS FROM THE MAYOR OF COLWOOD WHO SAYS STEPS ARE BEING TAKEN TO DEAL WITH THE OPEN EXCAVATION FROM THE ABANDONED 'SILKWIND' DEVELOPMENT SITE

"you will see a motion coming to council at the next council meeting on Monday night, that basically says that we have a geotechnical report, the developer has to remediate as per the geotechnical report, and if they don't contact us back then the city will undertake that work and bill the developer for that under the taxation"

#215 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

...again....

“The owner of the property seems to have gone into the mist,” remarked Colwood administrator Chris Pease.

Wale Road pit formally declared nuisance, danger

By Erin McCracken - Goldstream News Gazette

What once was slated to become one of the tallest high-rise developments on Vancouver Island is now considered canceled by the City of Colwood.

Colwood council has formally declared the gaping Silkwind excavation on Wale Road a nuisance and a danger, and has given the owner, a numbered Alberta company, 60 days to restore the sidewalk and bike lane.

More:http://www.bclocalne...s/98570459.html

#216 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

"Silkmist" would be a good name for a condo project.

#217 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=14725

SILKWIND OWNER RESPONDS TO SITE REMEDIATION ORDER

Aug 10, 2010

THE DEVELOPER BEHIND A PROPOSED HIGH RISE CONDOMINIUM TOWER IN COLWOOD IS STILL OPTIMISTIC THAT THE STALLED PROJECT WILL RESUME, WITH NEW FINANCING, AND HAS APPEALED TO THE CITY NOT TO REFILL THE EXCAVATION ON WALE ROAD.

[...]
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#218 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

Well get on with it buddy!

#219 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

I am glad to see the City isn't backing down on their deadline and there is no way construction will start within 6 weeks. They should remove the construction trailers, stabilize the bank and clean up the site

#220 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

I would love to play a game of "Bullsh*t Poker" with Colwood. I think I might be able to win some easy money.

Lots more from the Goldstream Gazette, Friday August 13, 2010. Some highlights:

"Threat of action awakens Silkwind owner"

After months of silence, a letter to Colwood from the Silkwind property owners says the long-idle highrise condominium project on Wale Road isn’t dead.
The Aug. 3 letter from the Silkwind property owner to municipal staff -- which is the first time the City has heard from the company in more than a year -- outlines that within 30 to 60 days of the letter’s date, “the owner is of the opinion that the project can get underway and it could include
resuming sales and construction of the Silkwind project,” said Colwood administrator Chris Pease, reading a portion of the document.

The full story:

http://www.bclocalne.../100396284.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users