Photo

[Colwood] Silkwind at Westshore condo | 77m | 23-storeys | Canceled in 2009

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#221 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:25 AM

I see why Colwood has been reluctant to do anything. According to the TC today, the developer already owes the City $740K and I am sure that any work done on the developer's behalf has an equal chance of being repaid.

#222 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

I see why Colwood has been reluctant to do anything. According to the TC today, the developer already owes the City $740K and I am sure that any work done on the developer's behalf has an equal chance of being repaid.

How do you know the developer owes Colwood that much? If the City was owed that much then I would expect the property to be sold at the next tax auction.

#223 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

How do you know the developer owes Colwood that much? If the City was owed that much then I would expect the property to be sold at the next tax auction.

The TC article about Colwood finances being a mess stated such.

How much is a hole in the ground worth these days when the purchaser will immediately be responsible for filling it at his/her own expense?

#224 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

This hole must have an excellent PR team in place. They get lots of media, despite being a...well, hole. The trick is keeping up the mystique. Nobody actually speaks publicly for the hole, but lots will speak about it. Like a superhero such as Batman, nobody knows his true identity (except Robin and the butler guy and Maggie Gyllenhaal). The Radius hole should sign on with them. Or that hole they are digging to get the miners out of the ground in Chile.

Colwood to move on shoring up condo hole

Excavation site for stalled Silkwind project a safety concern for city

By Carla Wilson, Times Colonist August 27, 2010 3:03 AM

The clock is ticking for Alberta developers to shore up the big hole carved out three years ago for the stalled Silkwind project in Colwood.

If the companies involved in the project don't take action to stabilize the sides of the hole at 2708 Wale Rd. by mid-September, Colwood will step in.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0xoUib4kD
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#225 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,142 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:53 AM

^ Holes have tremendous personalities. One of the more famous holes in Victoria was the one at the north west corner of Blanshard and Hillside that was stalled for a while, but the columns for the parkade were standing. Looked eerie.

Then one day the rains poured and the giant hole filled up with water and the resulting lake looked rather appealing, or at least a lot better.

You guessed it, a couple of our local geniuses loaded up their rowboat, fishing gear and beer, and set off in the pouring rain to get their picture on the front page of the TC.

Priceless.

#226 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

From the TC article:

Pease remains optimistic that the original development will proceed. "We have been told that they are refinancing to start rebuilding," he said.

Dear Colwood, you seriously need one of these:

#227 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

Some action at the site:

Colwood digs into Silkwind

By Sam Van Schie - Goldstream News Gazette
Published: November 24, 2010 2:00 PM
Updated: November 24, 2010 2:47 PM
Slope near townhouses deemed unstable

Early winter rains have taken their toll on the abandoned Silkwind property in Colwood.

http://www.bclocalne.../110477104.html

#228 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

CFAX is reporting a deal is close to sell the site, and resurrect it as a highrise.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Wow. That'd be the day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#230 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Well, now that it is located so close to Capital City Center rather than out in the middle of nowhere it's a no brainer, man!!
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#231 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

Who'd ever guess there was this kind of demand to live in a highrise in Colwood? I mean, in less than 10 years there will be at least 5 towers right? Pardon me if I don't hold my breath on this one.

#232 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

A conditional offer has been accepted for the former Silkwinds condominium project site on Wale Road in Colwood where work shut down five years ago.

The Vancouver-based lender to the original Edmonton developer signed a contract last week, subject to conditions being lifted within 90 days, for the 342 Wale Rd. property, said Ken Cloak, associate vicepresident of Colliers International's Victoria office.

http://www.timescolo...4079/story.html

#233 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,142 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

Let's hope that the City of Colwood gets the new owner's mailing address this time.

#234 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Let's hope that the City of Colwood gets the new owner's mailing address this time.

LOL...good one.

#235 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Does ANYONE believe that this project will be revived in its original "form"?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#236 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'll believe it when I see it (completed) and even then I will probably still suspect the whole thing is a Hollywood matte painting. ;)

#237 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Nope. I heard that it was going to be commercial/retail below and condos above but no more than 6 stories. Just talk tho at tis stage I hear.

#238 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

Nope. I heard that it was going to be commercial/retail below and condos above but no more than 6 stories. Just talk tho at tis stage I hear.

6 stories with one hell of an underground parkade! :P
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#239 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

They said it was going to be multi family dwelling, that sounds more like the six story type of building than a highrise.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#240 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

LOL...good one.

I say we deputize Fairbanks to cover this one too!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users