[Colwood] Silkwind at Westshore condo | 77m | 23-storeys | Canceled in 2009

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#101 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

I just meant the building looks cool...

I have no attachment to Colwood whatsoever, and yet I have to admit that I'd really like to see this building happen. It's quite a nice design and it could really transform the predominantly negative popular perceptions (including my own) of the west comms.

I'd gladly trade an Orchard House or a View Towers or a Camosack Manor for one of these:

#102 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

went by the site today it's a ghost town

#103 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

Any ghost buildings?

#104 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

the site trailers are exposed to the elements

#105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

I think it's time to label this one as "stalled." Not much has changed since the last activity on-site several months ago.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#106 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

stalled? nooooooooooo :(

#107 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

Call me Mr. Gloom & Doom, but it seems to me there are more signs every day that our so-called red hot economy is cooling off. On the plus side, if this means that interest rates remain low I am not too unhappy, especially since I recently took out a variable rate mortgage at 2% below prime.

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

It could also mean the market hasn't adjusted all that well to (still!) increasing construction costs. People will only pay so much to live in a condo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

It could also mean the market hasn't adjusted all that well to (still!) increasing construction costs.

I think that is part and parcel of an an economic chilling. Three years ago people were in bidding wars over run-down homes in Fairfield that needed $200,000 in renovations. It is much more of a buyers' market today. When this might begin to affect construction costs is anyone's guess, but ultimately it will.

#110 justaguy

justaguy

Yeah, that guy.

• 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

Suddenly I'm getting calls from friends to "invest" in a unit to flip afterwards. Apparently they (the developer I assume) wants 5% down now and 5% later, not sure how much later.

Me thinks this Development is desperately trying to please a lender requesting a certain number of pre-sale contracts before funds/financing can go ahead.

And an another note, one of the co-developers of this project, Urbia, is getting bad press for a 28 story "Urbia" tower in Edmonton. I don't know if that project has passed EDC (the committee required for approval). "Urbia" is 80's style Donald Trump tower with gold windows. :|

#111 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Urbia from skyscraperpage.com:

Why do I have the "Dallas" theme tune stuck in my head all of a sudden?

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

Yikes.

And it takes a great deal to get Edmonton guys upset over a building. Orchard House is fair game in that town.

Know it all.

#113 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

Suddenly I'm getting calls from friends to "invest" in a unit to flip afterwards. Apparently they (the developer I assume) wants 5% down now and 5% later, not sure how much later.

Me thinks this Development is desperately trying to please a lender requesting a certain number of pre-sale contracts before funds/financing can go ahead.

And an another note, one of the co-developers of this project, Urbia, is getting bad press for a 28 story "Urbia" tower in Edmonton. I don't know if that project has passed EDC (the committee required for approval). "Urbia" is 80's style Donald Trump tower with gold windows. :|

Sounds like this job is pretty much dead if they are going to those tactics to sell units. Considering the job right across the street has been in limbo for ~3 years, this one is probably going to follow the same path. Another Radius

#114 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

I think this project is stalled or dead, but can anyone find out for sure?

#115 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:30 AM

A good article about real estate speculators from the Journal of Commerce:

Apr. 21, 2008

Condo Development

Wary of realty speculators, BRIO developer pulls plug on project

JEAN SORENSEN

correspondent

British Columbia developers are becoming wary of real estate sales to speculators who sign pre-sales on proposed condominium buildings in the Vancouver market, says a developer who pulled the plug on a major Fraser Valley high-rise, refusing to accept them as buyers.

“I basically said ‘no’ to the speculators. There were 20 deals I would not sign. So, the marketing became a real problem,” said Karen Matty, principal in the Matsqui Group of Companies which has developed extensively in the B.C. Fraser Valley.

The company announced last year it planned to build the $90 million BRIO, a luxury high-rise that would dwarf any structure in Abbotsford.

Matty said in an e-mail that she made the mistake of choosing the wrong marketing firm and campaign, which did not produce the quality buyer she was looking for.

Instead, it produced speculators and today’s developers are being cautious about selling to this type of buyer, she said.

Late last year, an unhappy Matty returned the deposits on all the pre-sales with interest.

“When these flippers get in on a building and the market levels off or corrects slightly, I know what can happen,” she said.

“They do not close. This started happening in the States last year. I did not want that for the BRIO.”

The 28-storey structure’s plans were halted in November.

Her company had sold 40 pre-sales to its target group – 45 to 75 year olds with some young professionals – who wanted to live in a luxury building where 173 units were selling from $279,000 to $1.1 million.

The structure was designed to be 11 storeys higher than any other building in Abbotsford.

Matty said that buyers, who want to live in the building, have been placed on a reservation list. She said they are working to rekindle the BRIO and construction could begin this summer.

It will depend upon her ability to secure the buyers she is looking for.

The difficulty that Matty and other developers are running into is that banks will often determine the number of pre-sales that a developer must reach before financing is granted.

However, that can lead to disastrous results if the market nose-dives before the building is finished and speculators simply walk away.

“One hundred per cent sold out can mean only 50 per cent sold out if the market flattens,” she said.

That can leave the developer in a bind with the banks.

In some markets, such as Florida’s Miami, media stories tell of empty condominium towers where speculators and buyers have fled, seeing the deposit as a small loss compared to the plummeting prices. In a hot, up-surging market, said Matty, speculators can be carried along.

But, she believes that B.C. is currently edging toward the end of a brisk cycle.

“All that means is that we have to adjust our marketing approach. Both the banks and the developers will have to re-think their approach to the market. Too many speculators can cause an over-supply which is what has happened in the U.S.,” she said.

Others agree.

“The first to leave a sinking ship or a falling market is the speculator,” said Peter Simpson, chief executive officer of Greater Vancouver Home Builders Association. Simpson does believe that the market is showing some signs of “moderating” but that in the long term Vancouver and Metro Vancouver area will have strong drawing appeal.

This moderation is causing speculators to retract from the market.

“Speculators are a concern for everyone. There are not as many as there used to be because we are coming into a more balanced market,” he said,

Keith Sashaw, president of the Vancouver Regional Construction Association, said that one way developers can try to control speculators is to limit the number of units within a complex that they are able to purchase.

“I spoke with a developer in Surrey who is not allowing anyone to buy more than two units in a building,” he said.

Matty has partnered with Scott Construction.

“We have no project management issues. Our company is very strong and Scott is first class. Our team is ready to go,” she said.

#116 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:32 AM

I think this project is stalled or dead, but can anyone find out for sure?

The sign that this job is dead is when the construction trailers are moved off.

#117 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:09 AM

The sign that this job is dead is when the construction trailers are moved off.

So have the trailers been taken away? The trailers are still sitting at the Radius site, but I think this project is nearly as dead as Britany Spears career.

#118 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

I went by on Saturday & the trailers were still there.

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

A new sign has appeared on the fence from a contractor other than Kinetic but I can't remember the name.

Could a sub-contractor have been hired to get the ball rolling for Kinetic?

Know it all.

#120 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:03 PM

Went by today - the trailers have been moved off the roadway and placed down in the excvation off to the side, so I would guess they are ready to start forming and pouring.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users