Photo

AirBnB, VRBO, executive rentals etc. vs. local hotels

• Please log in to reply
1109 replies to this topic

#1101 spanky123

spanky123
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

Absolutely. The number of people who are seeking super budget shared accommodations is about equal to that number of people who seek out hostels vs. traditional hotel rooms.

We have what, two hostels in downtown Victoria and what ...two dozen hotels?

It is not about what is reasonable, it is about shutting out Airbnb but pretending that you are supporting it.

• Mike K., rjag and Janion Fan like this

#1102 rjag

rjag
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

Yup, said it before and I'll keep saying it, In Victoria this is being pushed big time by the Hotel association and Tourism Victoria onto council to sort this. 

Easy enough would be to implement a $10 per room per night tax towards promoting the region...funny how quiet other muni's in the CRD are about this, I'm talking the ones with hotels, Saanich, Langford, Sooke

#1103 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

There's a quickly growing component of the tourism industry reliant 100% on AirBnB for their travel choices. No AirBnB, no go.

That is very true, although the hoteliers I know in Victoria dispute it. They believe people will pay anything if they want to visit here but, I know, as the owner of a STR, that that just isn't true. I'm not saying many of our guests can't afford a hotel but, I am saying that I've heard, on more than one occasion, that if we weren't offering our studio for $90-120/night (depending on season), they wouldn't be visiting Victoria at all. 

As a traveller, I only look for hotels if I need one at an airport, for early or late arrivals/departures. The rest of the time, I plan my trip around ABB/VRBO/HomeAway et al availability. Hotels just aren't everyone's style, or fitting everyone's budget. 

Edited by Janion Fan, 14 November 2017 - 05:40 PM.

• rjag likes this

#1104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

I think I’ve said it before. Hotels need to add another class of guests. Guests that don’t damage anything, those that are quiet, those that clean up after themselves and that do not need daily housekeeping. And maybe even a rating system, you know, like AirBnB has. Theses guests they can charge a lower rate to.

#1105 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 4,370 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

I actually don't go on vacation/ trips to not have staff do everything for me. If I want to do all that I can just stay home.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1106 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 4,370 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

Oh... and I am fine with less people coming here. We can't afford to house those who live here... let alone all those that come here and fall in love, then want to move here.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 14 November 2017 - 07:19 PM.

#1107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

I actually don't go on vacation/ trips to not have staff do everything for me. If I want to do all that I can just stay home.

Some people are willing to do all that if fiscally it means they can travel 3x as often.
  • lanforod likes this

#1108 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 4,370 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

Yeah... DINK here. My vacations have no issues.

#1109 spanky123

spanky123
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

I think I’ve said it before. Hotels need to add another class of guests. Guests that don’t damage anything, those that are quiet, those that clean up after themselves and that do not need daily housekeeping. And maybe even a rating system, you know, like AirBnB has. Theses guests they can charge a lower rate to.

I stayed at a Marriott recently that did exactly that, gave me an extra 500 reward points if I passed on the housekeeping. 500 points costs them about $5 and saves them about $15 in labour and supplies.

Most hotels are geared towards the business traveler. I find that rooms for families (ie 2+ bedrooms) are very rare and/or very expensive if they do exist. That is my use for Airbnb and Vrbo.

Edited by spanky123, 14 November 2017 - 08:19 PM.

#1110 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,679 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

They could also give you a break if you bring your own towels and bedding.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users