Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

An excellent assessment Mike. 

#282 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

An excellent assessment Mike.

Except there has been lots of construction. Royal bay will house 7000 and how many new homes have suites? Almost all... West hills, bear mountain, lots of condos... It's not just population growth here. There has historically been plenty added to the rental pool since a large percentage of condo purchases are turned into rentals. Now that is changing into becoming vacation rentals. Mikes story about the Era condo sums it up.... Condos are now sold as businesses, for a premium over a residence. That is a problem...

#283 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

This is starting to get a little frustrating.

Royal Bay hasn't even built a single home that is occupied and you're already counting 7,000 residents. Westhills has built 500 homes since it began five years ago. Bear Mountain has, at most, 1,000?

As for the Era condo, that's an anomaly, not a rule. How many other condos out of the thousands bought and sold in this region since AirBnB's inception, have been sold as AirBnB "businesses"? Five? Ten? Maybe 15, since 2008?

Dasmo, we can kick and scream all day long about this, but unless you have actual numbers to back up what you're saying, you're coming across as sensationalist and alarmist.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#284 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

I didn't know we were talking with stats. If so I would have expected you to match you population growth numbers with housing start numbers...

#285 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

Does UVic offer their residences on AirBnB in the summer?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#286 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

Does UVic offer their residences on AirBnB in the summer?

No, but they do rent them out to the general public.

http://www.uvic.ca/r...itory/index.php

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#287 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

I also know of lots of people that have stopped renting their basement suites.  one really bad tenant and who cares about the money you get from it.  In the end, your mental health is worth more than the money involved.

#288 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:27 PM

I didn't know we were talking with stats. If so I would have expected you to match you population growth numbers with housing start numbers...

If you're as concerned about AirBnB as your comments imply, I would suggest you take the time to research what's happening in the market and whether AirBnB is truly the culprit.

Going by my research, AirBnB is not the culprit, but it's meagre effects on this market are amplified by the sheer lack of rental housing in this region. But when it comes to pointing fingers the easiest target is always the one that cannot defend itself as it has no industry representation or local advocacy group, but then that's something that's being mulled by officialdom. Stay tuned, I've got a story coming tomorrow.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#289 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:00 PM

I also know of lots of people that have stopped renting their basement suites.  one really bad tenant and who cares about the money you get from it.  In the end, your mental health is worth more than the money involved.

My job isn't good for my mental health either.  My rental suite is the easiest money I make other than dividends.

• lanforod likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#290 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:42 PM

If you're as concerned about AirBnB as your comments imply, I would suggest you take the time to research what's happening in the market and whether AirBnB is truly the culprit.

Going by my research, AirBnB is not the culprit, but it's meagre effects on this market are amplified by the sheer lack of rental housing in this region. But when it comes to pointing fingers the easiest target is always the one that cannot defend itself as it has no industry representation or local advocacy group, but then that's something that's being mulled by officialdom. Stay tuned, I've got a story coming tomorrow.

AirBnB spends millions defending themselves...

#291 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:46 AM

Airbnb routinely provides detailed occupancy data to local Governments if asked.

#292 JoshRH

JoshRH
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

I'm about to bring two rental suites online that have been unoccupied for the last couple of decades. I'm considering holding one of them back and using it for AirBnB, targeting families visiting the Jubilee that would otherwise be paying hotel rates. It might take some creative paperwork to satisfy my underwriters, but it could be an interesting experiment. 

There are more fools than knaves in the world, else the knaves would not have enough to live upon. - Samuel Butler

#293 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:54 AM

Councillor Chris Coleman touched on the need for hospital visitors having no place to say near the hospital. Funny you mention that, Josh.

But without legislation, you can't walk up to the Jubilee and offer your unit to their patient's families through a hospital managed or vetted list of rentals. How will you differentiate between someone who needs a place close to the hospital, and someone who just found your place to be ideal? Hospital visits are spontaneous, mostly, with little planning and require instant booking options. How will you navigate that? I'm genuinely curious.

Know it all.

#294 JoshRH

JoshRH
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

One option would be to simply list it with keywords that match the target, "Jubilee, hospital, family, etc", and then a simple conversation with the prospective renters would be enough to verify their need. I honestly have no idea if AirBnB give their hosts that level of discretion in picking and choosing who can rent.

I suppose I could always set up my own website to handle the bookings, and advertise it on Craigslist and the other usual sites. 

There are more fools than knaves in the world, else the knaves would not have enough to live upon. - Samuel Butler

#295 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:08 AM

One option would be to simply list it with keywords that match the target, "Jubilee, hospital, family, etc", and then a simple conversation with the prospective renters would be enough to verify their need. I honestly have no idea if AirBnB give their hosts that level of discretion in picking and choosing who can rent.

YES.   You can choose to screen every single applicant and you have the final say yes/no, unless you set your controls looser than that.  Most don't.

I think very few searchers would use those types of search terms though.  They'll likely just compare maps.

• JoshRH likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#296 JoshRH

JoshRH
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:14 AM

If they're coming specifically to visit in-patients at the Jubilee, I would imagine they'll at least search "Jubilee". 

Can I get 10-15 nights a month at $80/night for a one bedroom suite walking distance to the Jubilee? 

#297 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

If they're coming specifically to visit in-patients at the Jubilee, I would imagine they'll at least search "Jubilee". 

Can I get 10-15 nights a month at $80/night for a one bedroom suite walking distance to the Jubilee? 

When you go to Vancouver to see a Canucks game, do you search "Rogers Arena"?  Likely no.  

The vast majority of people visiting friends or family at RJH are from the Island, most know Victoria well enough to know that they are pretty close, wherever they are in this city.  It's different than a patient in Burnaby, and you want to make sure you do not book your stay in West Vancouver.  Also, 90+% of visitors will not need to be close by foot.  They will bring a vehicle.

#298 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:28 AM

People will use the map to search the area close to the hospital. You won't need to use any keywords. I would give it a try and see what happens. According to Airbnb, if you rent your place 90 days a year then you will make more money with them then you would a long term rental.

#299 JoshRH

JoshRH
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:33 AM

When you go to Vancouver to see a Canucks game, do you search "Rogers Arena"?  Likely no.  

The vast majority of people visiting friends or family at RJH are from the Island, most know Victoria well enough to know that they are pretty close, wherever they are in this city.  It's different than a patient in Burnaby, and you want to make sure you do not book your stay in West Vancouver.  Also, 90+% of visitors will not need to be close by foot.  They will bring a vehicle.

I think you're underestimating how many in-patients and their families arrive in Victoria by means other than personal vehicle. 

#300 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

I think you're underestimating how many in-patients and their families arrive in Victoria by means other than personal vehicle. 

I don't know how they'd get here other than personal vehicle, from up-Island locations.  You'd be surprised, most people figure it out, have friends pick them up, stay with relatives etc.   I'm sure few come down by Greyhound.  The people that would be using Greyhound are the least likely to be those able to afford a 15-day hotel or Air BnB stay. It's mostly all friends and family working things out.  I can not recall any member of my family ever booking a hotel to visit a hospital patient, in all my life, here or in England.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users