Photo

AirBnB, VRBO, vacation and executive rental news and issues in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#1101 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

Absolutely. The number of people who are seeking super budget shared accommodations is about equal to that number of people who seek out hostels vs. traditional hotel rooms.

We have what, two hostels in downtown Victoria and what ...two dozen hotels?

It is not about what is reasonable, it is about shutting out Airbnb but pretending that you are supporting it.

• Mike K., rjag and Janion Fan like this

#1102 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

Yup, said it before and I'll keep saying it, In Victoria this is being pushed big time by the Hotel association and Tourism Victoria onto council to sort this. 

Easy enough would be to implement a $10 per room per night tax towards promoting the region...funny how quiet other muni's in the CRD are about this, I'm talking the ones with hotels, Saanich, Langford, Sooke

#1103 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

There's a quickly growing component of the tourism industry reliant 100% on AirBnB for their travel choices. No AirBnB, no go.

That is very true, although the hoteliers I know in Victoria dispute it. They believe people will pay anything if they want to visit here but, I know, as the owner of a STR, that that just isn't true. I'm not saying many of our guests can't afford a hotel but, I am saying that I've heard, on more than one occasion, that if we weren't offering our studio for $90-120/night (depending on season), they wouldn't be visiting Victoria at all. 

As a traveller, I only look for hotels if I need one at an airport, for early or late arrivals/departures. The rest of the time, I plan my trip around ABB/VRBO/HomeAway et al availability. Hotels just aren't everyone's style, or fitting everyone's budget. 

Edited by Janion Fan, 14 November 2017 - 05:40 PM.

• rjag likes this

#1104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

I think I’ve said it before. Hotels need to add another class of guests. Guests that don’t damage anything, those that are quiet, those that clean up after themselves and that do not need daily housekeeping. And maybe even a rating system, you know, like AirBnB has. Theses guests they can charge a lower rate to.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1105 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

I actually don't go on vacation/ trips to not have staff do everything for me. If I want to do all that I can just stay home.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1106 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

Oh... and I am fine with less people coming here. We can't afford to house those who live here... let alone all those that come here and fall in love, then want to move here.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 14 November 2017 - 07:19 PM.

#1107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

I actually don't go on vacation/ trips to not have staff do everything for me. If I want to do all that I can just stay home.

Some people are willing to do all that if fiscally it means they can travel 3x as often.
  • lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1108 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

Yeah... DINK here. My vacations have no issues.

#1109 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

I think I’ve said it before. Hotels need to add another class of guests. Guests that don’t damage anything, those that are quiet, those that clean up after themselves and that do not need daily housekeeping. And maybe even a rating system, you know, like AirBnB has. Theses guests they can charge a lower rate to.

I stayed at a Marriott recently that did exactly that, gave me an extra 500 reward points if I passed on the housekeeping. 500 points costs them about $5 and saves them about $15 in labour and supplies.

Most hotels are geared towards the business traveler. I find that rooms for families (ie 2+ bedrooms) are very rare and/or very expensive if they do exist. That is my use for Airbnb and Vrbo.

Edited by spanky123, 14 November 2017 - 08:19 PM.

#1110 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

They could also give you a break if you bring your own towels and bedding.

#1111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,524 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

Sorry, Sask. snowbirds. City of Victoria council doesn't want you to stay within the municipal border of Victoria unless you are willing to pay x-times the AirBnB price to do so in a hotel suite.

This note popped up the other day in my gf's condo building.

sask-2.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1112 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:45 PM

They could also give you a break if you bring your own towels and bedding.

What if I brought my toolbox? I frequently stay in rooms needing minor repairs: peeling wallpaper, loose shower curtain rod.

• Mike K. and Bingo like this

#1113 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:00 AM

Sorry, Sask. snowbirds. City of Victoria council doesn't want you to stay within the municipal border of Victoria unless you are willing to pay x-times the AirBnB price to do so in a hotel suite.

This note popped up the other day in my gf's condo building.

I love it, prairie people come to Victoria to snowbird and Victoria people head far south

#1114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

Victoria Coun. Geoff Young said “stealth hotels” have an advantage as they don’t have to charge those taxes.

The city probably has little choice but to look at regulation of vacation rentals, Young said. City staff estimate that 200 to 300 short-term vacation rentals are operating in Victoria.

“The fact is that nowadays with computer-operated reservation systems, it’s practical to run an invisible hotel with rooms spread out through the city and prebooked. People get instructions on how to enter the building and so forth,” Young said.

Yet “visible” hotels pay property taxes at a much higher rate than residential properties, he said. “I think the biggest direct concern of the city is the idea that by presenting property as residential and actually using it as hotel, you pay a lot less taxes.”

https://www.landlord...cation-rentals/

screenshot-www.bcassessment.ca-2017-11-26-09-13-03-413.png

screenshot-www.victoria.ca-2017-11-26-09-13-42-701.png

Now, if Young and Isitt had their way, the Janion owner would pay this, PLUS their $2,500 annual fee, for nearly $7,000 in taxes per year.

screenshot-www.victoria.ca-2017-11-26-09-20-33-134.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 November 2017 - 09:22 AM.

• sebberry likes this

#1115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

screenshot-www.bcassessment.ca-2017-11-26-09-10-31-605.png

screenshot-www.victoria.ca-2017-11-26-09-18-34-961.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 November 2017 - 09:19 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,524 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

What's the tax paid on that hotel unit?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1117 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

What's the tax paid on that hotel unit?

$2,505.

And I'm not sure how they pay property tax on the restaurant and bar, meeting rooms etc.  

EDIT:  that appears to be just rolled into the units, there are no other property listing at 100 Harbour Road other than the numbered hotel units.

screenshot-www.victoria.ca-2017-11-26-09-27-36-457.png

screenshot-www.bcassessment.ca-2017-11-26-09-26-48-743.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 November 2017 - 09:29 AM.

#1118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

So let's be clear, if you own one of the cheapest units in the Janion and pay residential tax, you do pay a bit less.  But you will not find a until at the Union for under $400,000 assessment, I'd guess.  And at best you rent that on Air BnB for $150 to $175/night.  At the Ocean Pointe Resort I can not see a unit for under $225/night right now and most are $300 plus.

#1119 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

I rent condos on vacation because a member of the family has celiac disease. There's usually only a handful of places you can actually eat if you have celiac unless I guess you stay in a 5 star resort. There's a lot of people in similar situations where they have some kind of dietary reason they can't eat out every meal. Anyway glad Victoria is shutting it's doors to that kind of scum so hoteliers can get higher rates.

• rjag likes this

#1120 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

I rent condos on vacation because a member of the family has celiac disease. There's usually only a handful of places you can actually eat if you have celiac unless I guess you stay in a 5 star resort. There's a lot of people in similar situations where they have some kind of dietary reason they can't eat out every meal. Anyway glad Victoria is shutting it's doors to that kind of scum so hoteliers can get higher rates.

If your family member had a crack addiction, we'd welcome him/her with open arms.

Funny how that works.

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users