AirBnB, VRBO, vacation and executive rental news and issues in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#1401 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 01:39 PM

Should hotels be allowed to be used as long-term housing, like many are in the off-season, or in some cases year-round? That’s competing with apartment blocks and investor-owned condos.
  • spanky123, Matt R. and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1402 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 June 2022 - 10:30 PM

excellent flip side question, Mike

#1403 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 08:49 AM

England:

Overwhelming vote for housing measures to stop Whitby becoming a ‘theme park’

A rare parish poll saw 93% in favour of preventing new developments becoming holiday lets and second homes but it is not binding.

https://www.standard...006096.html?amp

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2022 - 08:49 AM.

#1404 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:13 AM

Should hotels be allowed to be used as long-term housing, like many are in the off-season, or in some cases year-round? That’s competing with apartment blocks and investor-owned condos.

Fawlty Towers always had a couple residents...  Hotels wouldn't do that unless capacity allowed for it.  Imagine getting a hotel room for $2,000/mo with the services that come with it.

#1405 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:15 AM

So hotels can be both rental apartments and hotels whenever capacity or desires permit (some motels and hotels are 100% full-time rentals), but condos can't be temporary lodging?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1406 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:17 AM

So hotels can be both rental apartments and hotels whenever capacity or desires permit (some motels and hotels are 100% full-time rentals), but condos can't be temporary lodging?

Right now they all do everything I think, don't they?  The hotel assn just wants condos not doing temp lodging, that's not a thing yet as far as I know.  Is there a rule right now that hotels cannot rent longer terms?  I haven't heard that.

#1407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:20 AM

What are we talking about, again?

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#1408 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:22 AM

What I'm saying is, hotels get to choose whether they want to be long-term rentals or hotels. But they don't want private homeowners to make that choice. The City of Victoria has already banned private homeowners from making that choice, unless they rent out just a room (or are grandfathered after the CoV removed transient lodging permissions from zoning and made whole suite AirBnBs illegal).

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1409 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:32 AM

What are we talking about, again?

I thought made up restrictions to spread bad info? :)

#1410 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:33 AM

What I'm saying is, hotels get to choose whether they want to be long-term rentals or hotels. But they don't want private homeowners to make that choice. The City of Victoria has already banned private homeowners from making that choice, unless they rent out just a room (or are grandfathered after the CoV removed transient lodging permissions from zoning and made whole suite AirBnBs illegal).

Yes that's what they want )I doubt they will get that)...  Hotels do not really want to offer long-term and just couldn't really do it.  Try to rent a room for 6 months and see what the rate is.

Edited by Ismo07, 14 June 2022 - 09:33 AM.

#1411 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:34 AM

They already got that in your municipality.

Know it all.

#1412 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 10:12 AM

They already got that in your municipality.

Got what?  Condos can be used for short or long just like hotels as can whole houses.  Just parts of houses can't be.  Is that what you mean?

#1413 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 10:18 AM

JEEEEEEZUZZZZZZ Ismo sometimes you make me want to pull my hair out, and I don't have any left.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#1414 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 10:21 AM

JEEEEEEZUZZZZZZ Ismo sometimes you make me want to pull my hair out, and I don't have any left.

Am I mistaken?  Isn't that what is actually happening?  I can rent a condo as a short-term AirBnB or I can get a hotel, but I cannot rent a basement suite.  What's wrong Mike?  The hotels don't want condos used like that but I don't think they will get what they want...  I think you have glorious hair.  Yes I think Hotels should be able to rent by the month, I just think that's very expensive and they won't do much of it based on their overhead.

#1415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 10:25 AM

Thank you, I think of whatever's left as glorious, too.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1416 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:13 AM

927892_2.jpg

Investors, welcome to an incredible opportunity to own a turnkey unique and profitable Airbnb unit in the heart of downtown Victoria, BC! Our Friends-themed unit is sure to attract guests from around the world, looking for a fun and memorable experience during their stay. The unit is fully furnished with decorations and memorabilia inspired by the iconic TV show, and offers a comfortable bedroom, a fully-equipped kitchen, and a cozy living area. Located in the heart of downtown Victoria, the Oriental building is zoned for short-term rental and offer the city's best restaurants, bars, and attractions just steps away, plenty of options for entertainment and relaxation. As an investor, you'll benefit from the growing popularity of Victoria as a tourist destination, and the increasing demand for unique and memorable Airbnb accommodations. With a Friends-themed unit, you'll have a truly one-of-a-kind property that is sure to stand out and attract guests year-round. Contact now to view !

$650,000

305 562 Yates St

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

927892_7.jpg

927892_12.jpg

927892_15.jpg

927892_1.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2023 - 03:16 AM.

#1417 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:50 PM

Share in the zombie apocalypse in this neighborhood.

#1418 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 12:07 PM

Investors, welcome to an incredible opportunity to own a turnkey unique and profitable Airbnb unit in the heart of downtown Victoria, BC! Our Friends-themed unit is sure to attract guests from around the world, looking for a fun and memorable experience during their stay. The unit is fully furnished with decorations and memorabilia inspired by the iconic TV show, and offers a comfortable bedroom, a fully-equipped kitchen, and a cozy living area. Located in the heart of downtown Victoria, the Oriental building is zoned for short-term rental and offer the city's best restaurants, bars, and attractions just steps away, plenty of options for entertainment and relaxation. As an investor, you'll benefit from the growing popularity of Victoria as a tourist destination, and the increasing demand for unique and memorable Airbnb accommodations. With a Friends-themed unit, you'll have a truly one-of-a-kind property that is sure to stand out and attract guests year-round. Contact now to view !

$650,000

305 562 Yates St

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

927892_1.jpg

Painted in purple and adorned in “Friends” memorabilia, a condo unit in downtown Victoria that’s themed after the popular ’90s TV series is up for sale.

The one-bathroom unit, posted last week to REALTOR.ca, features a loft-style bedroom and is listed at $650,000. Price history information included in the listing says it last sold on March 31, 2022, for $516,000.

Located in The Oriental building on Yates Street across from the Yates Street parkade, realtor Jayden Vo says the unit is “very unique” and centrally located.

It features a half-dozen blue, red and yellow umbrellas on one wall, as seen in the show’s intro, plus photographs of the cast and an open staircase to the loft, where the potential buyer may have to ‘pivot’ their furniture when moving in.

https://www.cheknews...r-sale-1147528/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 April 2023 - 12:08 PM.

#1419 dameone

dameone
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 11:28 PM

Painted in purple and adorned in “Friends” memorabilia, a condo unit in downtown Victoria that’s themed after the popular ’90s TV series is up for sale.

The one-bathroom unit, posted last week to REALTOR.ca, features a loft-style bedroom and is listed at $650,000. Price history information included in the listing says it last sold on March 31, 2022, for $516,000.

Located in The Oriental building on Yates Street across from the Yates Street parkade, realtor Jayden Vo says the unit is “very unique” and centrally located.

It features a half-dozen blue, red and yellow umbrellas on one wall, as seen in the show’s intro, plus photographs of the cast and an open staircase to the loft, where the potential buyer may have to ‘pivot’ their furniture when moving in.

https://www.cheknews...r-sale-1147528/ https://zaza.codes/

Looks interesting.

#1420 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 02:04 PM

Almost every CoV councillor is a small thinker.

Hundreds of Victoria short-term rental hosts dodging regulations and fees

Out-of-town buyers flooding market with help of local property management companies

https://www.vicnews....and-fees-674174

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 July 2023 - 02:04 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users