• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

Big win for the Liberals.

The big mistake the separatist party made?  They recruited a high-profile business guy, and he stated emphatically that he wanted them to separate.  

Strange politics here.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,358 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

Their power is in threatening to separate. To secede is not what the leaders of the Bloc/Parti Q actually want.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,681 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

The worldwide backlash over the secular charter of rights didn't help either. Even though there are many people in Quebec who support that charter, I think the backlash may have made some people take a step back.

#4 jonny

jonny
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

IMO Quebec used the separation threat as a bargaining chip for many years. For many years Canada gave in, and tried to buy Quebec's loyalty.

Sometime in the last few years, Canadians decided enough is enough. During this election the support for Quebec independence was higher in the rest of Canada than it was in Quebec. There will be no more concessions or windfalls for Quebec from Canada. I think this signals that Quebecers can and want to be an equal player in Canada like the rest of the provinces, but I think the separation bargaining chip is worthless now.

The separatists are getting old. The young people and immigrants want nothing to do with Quebec independence. The movement is dying.

#5 jonny

jonny
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

The worldwide backlash over the secular charter of rights didn't help either. Even though there are many people in Quebec who support that charter, I think the backlash may have made some people take a step back.

Yes. Marois' charter was disgusting and an embarrassment to Canadians.

I'm happy that racist bigot was sent home with her tail between her legs. Thankfully she even lost her own seat and won't even have a place in the provincial legislature.

• Mike K. and bluefox like this

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,358 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Yeah, she was an embarrassment. I'm proud of Quebecers doing the right thing and dumper her out of power.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

Did you see this? BQ no longer has official party status? First election since 1966 won by a party other than the Liberals or PQ. Crazy.

https://resultats.dg...mmaires.fr.html

• rjag likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#8 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

Goodbye separatism 

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

Did you see this? BQ no longer has official party status? First election since 1966 won by a party other than the Liberals or PQ. Crazy.

https://resultats.dg...mmaires.fr.html

you are mixing up bq and pq.  similar philosophy but no formal links.  one is provincial party one is federal.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 October 2018 - 12:58 PM.

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:21 PM

Oh, right, PQ. I don't really follow Quebec politics and find the plethora of provincial parties perplexing.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#11 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:07 PM

Goodbye separatism 

Yup, its been on the wane even when Rene was still leading the movement. It'll be fascinating to see how this hard Right turn manifests itself not only within Quebec but in terms of relations with Junior's federal Liberals. Tres interressant....!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.