Temporary Foreign Workers in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#101 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

These dollar day drinks cost the store less then to .05 an once... even less when the customer pours it themselves...
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

These dollar day drinks cost the store less then to .05 an once... even less when the customer pours it themselves...

Agreed, but when 12 months ago they made the establishment $2 per pour in profit it's a big hit, and it subsidized the $1 burger.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

This has everything to do with the way we treat our kids "everyone is a winner" or "everyone gets a trophy for participating" or "everyone gets equal time on the field, bandstand, etc playing"

well guess what life doesn't work that way...not working hard enough - you are fired

why not tell the mortgage company or landlord, well gee sorry I can't make the payment because I had to take a few days off work to see Shambawamba and my boss just fired me.  No problem you have 2 days to get your stuff out on the sidewalk or we'll do it for you

well I deserve as many hours as Bill just because I show up.  No Bill gets more hours because he busts his behind more than you

Yes, maybe workers need to know pick up the pace or foreigners will be taking your jobs and you can sit at home.

• Matt R. likes this

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

It's a bit harsh comparing hormonal teenagers to 40-something foreign workers, don't you think?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:33 AM

It's a bit harsh comparing hormonal teenagers to 40-something foreign workers, don't you think?

In terms of labour productivity, I'm not sure.  It's bottom line.  I should expect to be less profitable in order to accommodate teens with poor work ethics?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#106 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

I should expect to be less profitable in order to accommodate teens with poor work ethics?

Your profit shouldn't be on the backs of those who have few rights as employees. 

"They’re not going to take the day off because they have to take their dog to the vet. They’re going to show up to work on time, they're going to work a full week without disappearing," Kelly said.

That's right, they should be slaving away at the burger joint with a smile that's not at all representative of the quality of life they're leading. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

Your profit shouldn't be on the backs of those who have few rights as employees. 

Don't necessarily believe that every fast-food joint owner is rolling in profits, I'm guessing many are marginally profitable.  If it closes, there are zero jobs.

That's right, they should be slaving away at the burger joint with a smile that's not at all representative of the quality of life they're leading. 

Look, the consumer has choice here.  You have every right to take your business elsewhere, where there are less or no TFWs.  And if they were not enjoying a better quality of life than that in their home country, they would likely not be here.  So it's a step up in quality of life for them.

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

If only every business could bring in foreign labour whenever it felt it needed a boost in profits...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#109 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

I'll be the first to admit I don't go to fast food outlets, but I do occasionally stop at Subway or Quiznos if I am in a rush and I have seen foreigners in there, but they seem to be younger in their 20's.  My first thought was they were foreigners working their way thru college making some extra money and trying to learn English and never thought they were possible TFW.  I have never seen a 40's foreign worker in there

When you are in business you aren't running a charity.  I respect the rights given to them under the law, but if they aren't producing fast enough, its also my right to fire them and replace them with the huge amount of unskilled labour available (if I were in that business)

As an employer I want workers who put me first, before concerts, parties, whatever.  Of course taking their kids to the doctor, etc are legitimate

#110 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

If only every business could bring in foreign labour whenever it felt it needed a boost in profits...

Perhaps you will have to educate me, do employers not have to pay TFW's BC minimum wage under the law?  If so where is the boost in profits?

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

Again, who says these business are not just barely profitable.  Look at the food prices, not much left there after all the input costs.

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

Perhaps you will have to educate me, do employers not have to pay TFW's BC minimum wage under the law?  If so where is the boost in profits?

Yes, plus there is at least some extra recruitment costs.  TFWs might increase profits because they are simply more productive.

#113 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Again, who says these business are not just barely profitable.  Look at the food prices, not much left there after all the input costs.

I know a few people who own fast food outlets and they are either rolling in cash, or can't wait to unload the outlet because its not making money

#114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

I know a few people who own fast food outlets and they are either rolling in cash, or can't wait to unload the outlet because its not making money

Right, and then everything in between.  Don't forget the largest attempted class action in Canadian history ($3B) was Tim Horton's franchisees vs. the company.

#115 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Look at the number of McDonald's alone that have closed here in recent years. Fast food is no longer in vogue like it was 20 years ago. People have far more "fast food" options that are healthier and tastier than whatever the big chains can offer.

So if the industry's solution is breaking employment regulations and brining in TFW's then maybe it's time to start closing more restaurants and not being concerned about their bottom line and therefore justifying their hiring practices.

Know it all.

#116 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Look at the number of McDonald's alone that have closed here in recent years. Fast food is no longer in vogue like it was 20 years ago. People have far more "fast food" options that are healthier and tastier than whatever the big chains can offer.

All the more reason why a struggling McDonald's franchise has no way of increasing profits or boosting sales, they are beholden to the corporate menu, practices, advertising, purchases of food etc.  The only way they can try to survive in many cases is by reducing labour costs.  I can't blame them.

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

If they have to break Canadian employment regulations in order to turn a profit then it's time for them to close.

How many engineering firms would love to bring in an overly qualified engineer and pay him the wage of a straight-outta-school engineering newbie? They'd save $50k per year, per employee, while realizing a higher rate of productivity.

Know it all.

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

How many engineering firms would love to bring in an overly qualified engineer and pay him the wage of a straight-outta-school engineering newbie? They'd save $50k per year, per employee, while realizing a higher rate of productivity.

We already went over this.  TFWs are paid the same as Canadian workers, at fast-food outlets.

#119 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

We already went over this.  TFWs are paid the same as Canadian workers, at fast-food outlets.

Not engineering firms. However, I don't think a qualified engineer would work for the wages Mike is talking about, as an engineer.

#120 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Not engineering firms. However, I don't think a qualified engineer would work for the wages Mike is talking about, as an engineer.

They certainly would not.

TFWs are poor people from poor countries who are looking to get their foot in the door in a country like Canada that has a high standard of living.

An "overly qualified engineer" would be in high demand all over the world and could pick and choose where they would like to live and write their own paycheck (to a certain extent).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users