Foo Ramen Bar | Victoria | Broughton Street at Blanshard Street

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Foo Ramen is a spin-off of Foo Asian Street Food (at Yates and Blanshard streets). Foo Ramen will focus on noodle-based dishes.

There doesn't appear to be a website just yet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

New signage

Attached Images

• 20140411_123915.jpg

#3 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

VERY curious about this place! Their web address just duplicates the Foo web site - can't wait to 'see' what their ramen offerings are like!

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

So is ramen strictly wheat noodles? As someone that doesn't eat wheat I would hope they carry a rice noodle option.
  • LocalMom likes this

#5 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,987 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

God I hope they do wheat only.

Matt.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

While I feel for you Gum Gum, Ramen is done with a wheat based noodle. They may offer it but it is not Ramen.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

One might hope that, as with many other foods in modern cuisine, they might choose to deviate slightly from tradition in an attempt to cater to the gluten-free crowd.   That, or I suppose folks could go have pho instead.

Edited by Jason-L, 15 April 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

What's the big deal if they carry it as an option. How is that going to hurt anyone?
  • LocalMom likes this

#9 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

This place will live or die on the quality and authenticity of its standard ramen. Lots of places offer ramen, but the draw of a ramen-only place is that it is delivering a slice of working-man Japan direct to your tastebuds. I have no problem with them offering options to gluten-free folks, but their main product needs to be right or else they might as well quit now.

• weirdie likes this

#10 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

WHEN DOES IT OPEN?! HAS ANYONE TRIED IT?!

*cough*

Sorry - all this talk of ramen and none of us has a review!

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yikes, not quite yet. It's still under construction :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,987 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

Bit of a friends and family event tomorrow at the ramen bar, too bad I can't go.

Opening is imminent.

Matt.

#13 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

It is now open!

Unfortunately I walked by after I had eaten elsewhere so I can't report back. Looked busy for it's first week.

#14 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,987 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Second day of soft opening. Arrived today at 1125 and Sterling opened the door to let us in. Cafeteria style ordering, food was delivered to us. Small menu, will grow as they finalize recipes etc. Bottled drinks include Boylans and Phillips sodas, some iced green tea, no mention of booze though I am sure beer will be on offer as Devour had a food primary license and I think Foo bought the business so would have transferred the license.

I had the pork ramen and my wife had the chicken. Pork was excellent, nice thick slab of braised belly, few slices of BBQ pork. Generous. Nice vegetable content, a few chills, some rapini, and the broth was good. Thin and rich. Noodles were a knockout, perfect texture and good portion. They must have spent some time with the potassium and the sodium bicarb to get the pH right. Good colour, firm.

My wife's chicken was good too, ginger in the broth though my tonkatsu was better. Only suggestion would be more seasoning in the broth. Salt and acid, maybe some black vinegar.

GF options on deck will be rice noodles and rice bowls.

If any of you have had the pleasure of Sterling's service at Brasserie l'ecole you will understand what I mean when I say you can expect top notch service.

Line up out the door by noon. Going to be very popular.

Matt.
  • thundergun likes this

#15 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

I had the pork yesterday for lunch, took it to go. tasted awesome, little pricey for what ya get i thought. wont keep me away though.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#16 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

Good...  :muching_out:

#17 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

dropped by yesterday to check it out.  can't get in because of the steps but someone came out to explain the menu and offered to bring something to the outside table (it was already occupied).  they will have take-away capacity in about ten days.  I will return.

#18 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

I remember watching this movie years ago which highlights the passion around ramen: Tampopo....  http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

#19 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Wait - so are 'authentic ramen' dishes much like pho - in that you slurp the stuff into your mouth?! My husband attempted this new ramen bar but alikened it to pho - and it is so messy - that he can't see eating it unless he was in a dark room by himself ;)

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

You should definitely slurp.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users